C'dale R1000 or Lemond Buenos Aires?

Attractive Nuis

Guest
Hi-

I've been riding a Trek aluminum hybrid for a year and am ready to move into a more serious road
bike. I am looking at these two bikes; they appear to be more or less equal in component quality and
price (C'dale slightly higher). The chief difference is the frame material, but it isn't my purpose
to open the steel v aluminum can of worms. I am just interested in hearing from those of you who
have experience with these bicycles. I'm female, athletic, and chiefly interested in solo and club
riding with the possibility of Cat 4 racing someday. Thanks!

>I am just interested in hearing from those of you who have experience with these bicycles.

I own a 2002 Buenos Aires which is the same as 2003 except for color. I've found it to be an
incredible value. It rides smoothly over all but the most brutal surfaces, is stable and predictable
at 30+mph, accelerates well, and is light enough to allow enthusiastic climbing. You may want to
swap pedal styles but no biggie and the satndard saddle is awful but that's personal. The Bontager
Select wheelset may be a bit heavier than the Race but is extremely strong and hassle free. My only
caveat is to make sure the fit is right as Lemond uses a different sizing and geometry. If it fits
you you will be in a state of bliss but if you are short torsoed it may not work for you.

>I'm female, athletic, and chiefly interested in solo and club riding with the possibility of Cat 4
>racing someday

The Lemond excels at solo and club riding. The bike will not be the reason you get dropped . For
racing the C'dale gives you Ksyriums and a stiffer frame so sprinting may be better as will
shorter races.

>The chief difference is the frame material, but it isn't my purpose to open the steel v aluminum
>can of worms.

The best test is to ride both bikes over similar surfaces and conditions and choose what you like
but be forewarned that a quality steel bike provides a livelier, more comfortable ride than aluminum
and what feels good after 5 miles may be different after 50.

I'd shop for fit over brand. Women can be challenging to fit well. It's fairly easy to get a good
fit. Get to a bike shop that will take the time to get you fitted well. Better to do one custom
frame that fits than several bikes that turn out to be "not close enough". I have preferences and so
does the next guy or gal.

Look for pedal - front wheel overlap.

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:44:21 -0700, Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd shop for fit over brand. Women can be challenging to fit well. It's fairly easy to get a good
> fit. Get to a bike shop that will take the time to get you fitted well. Better to do one custom
> frame that fits than several bikes that turn out to be "not close enough". I have preferences and
> so does the next guy or gal.
>
> Look for pedal - front wheel overlap.
>
> "Attractive Nuisance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi-
>>
>> I've been riding a Trek aluminum hybrid for a year and am ready to move
> into
>> a more serious road bike. I am looking at these two bikes; they appear to
>
>> female, athletic, and chiefly interested in solo and club riding with the possibility of Cat 4
>> racing someday. Thanks!

Can you wait for a sale? The LeMond Zurich comes in women's geometry, but it's more expensive than
the Buenos Aires. As always, fit is important. I had a Trek but now have the LeMond because I had to
get set back seatposts and long stems for the Trek. Even with the LeMond, I'm upping the stem length
by 10mm over stock. For me, the LeMond allows me to get behind the pedal axles -- regardless of
saddle -- and with room to spare. My Trek required set back seatposts and certain seats to get close
to the position I can get on the LeMond.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

"Attractive Nuisance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi-
>
> I've been riding a Trek aluminum hybrid for a year and am ready to move into a more serious road
> bike. I am looking at these two bikes; they appear to be more or less equal in component quality
> and price (C'dale slightly higher). The chief difference is the frame material, but it isn't my
> purpose to open the steel v aluminum can of worms. I am just interested in hearing from those of
> you who have experience with these bicycles. I'm female, athletic, and chiefly interested in solo
> and club riding with the possibility of Cat 4 racing someday. Thanks!

It really boils down to you - how do these two options fit YOU, not me or anyone else. Personally,
I think that these are pretty equal on paper. For me, on the road, the Buenos Aires wins hands
down. The only way for you to decide will be to take good, long tests on both and decide how they
feel and respond.

- rick