Cdale R3000 v Trek 5500

vitiris

Jul 24, 2003
Like everyone else here it seems I am having the same problem at making a decision! I can have either of the above for the same price (2003). I have ridden a Cdale R500 and it really impressed me but I am having trouble test riding the Trek. My requirements are -
1. A really fast climber
2. Fast long distance (100 miles+)
3. Good time trialler
Yes basically I want my cake etc.. Has anybody experienced these two bikes back to back and I am aware of the potentially harsher ride of the C'dale

Thanks
Sean

Originally posted by vitiris
Like everyone else here it seems I am having the same problem at making a decision! I can have either of the above for the same price (2003). I have ridden a Cdale R500 and it really impressed me but I am having trouble test riding the Trek. My requirements are -
1. A really fast climber
2. Fast long distance (100 miles+)
3. Good time trialler
Yes basically I want my cake etc.. Has anybody experienced these two bikes back to back and I am aware of the potentially harsher ride of the C'dale

Thanks
Sean

Don't worry about the harsh ride. There is a road test of a Cannondale R5000, which has the same CAAD7 frame, at roadbikerrider.com. It is, according to the review, a very nice ride.

Babbar

Thanks, as is usual on this site have promptly bought the other (Trek 5500) this afternoon (after trying a Litespeed too)! Have just done 35 miles on it and am taking it to bed with me, the other half is not impressed but you have to get your priorities right

My initial feelings -

Rides like a dream and you hardly feel the road, I got off it after 35 miles and if it hadn't been black as pitch would have got straight back on and done another 35
Climbs hills at speed
Accelerates like a demon
Looks damn hot

All this and I'm using 20 year old Campag pedals with toe clips whilst awaiting the arrival of Sidi Energys so I can fit my Speedplay Zeros

Happy cycling :p
Sean

Hi,

I haven't ridden on a Trek before, but I moved onto the Cannondale R3000 after about a year on an old Cr frame -- man, what a change! (I've been doing serious riding for about 2 years now.)

The C'dale is light, steady on corners, fast on acceleration, and the dura-ace gears and brakes extremely responsive!
OK, the cons: the ride's a bit bumpy.
BUT, I think the weightlessness and the responsiveness offset it without a doubt. And, as for stiffness: when climbing hills (especially long 4-5km hills), the frame holds up very very well (this is probably attributed to the headset and handlebars).

Personally, I love it, and definitely enjoy riding it.

Gaz