C'Dale Scalpel Seatstay Replacement Concerns

RubberSideDown

Nov 17, 2003
Once again, I come to the all knowing, all knowledgeable, all experienced group of the cycling forums. Here's my concern. I just had my aluminum seatstay replaced with a “Carbon fiber coated piece of plastic”. I checked online and found that Cannondale calls it a “Composite” seatstay. Has anyone seen this thing or have any experience with this composite seatstay? It actually looks quite…. Cheesy, for a lack of a better term. Any input/advise is greatly appreciated.

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown said:
Once again, I come to the all knowing, all knowledgeable, all experienced group of the cycling forums. Here's my concern. I just had my aluminum seatstay replaced with a “Carbon fiber coated piece of plastic”. I checked online and found that Cannondale calls it a “Composite” seatstay. Has anyone seen this thing or have any experience with this composite seatstay? It actually looks quite…. Cheesy, for a lack of a better term. Any input/advise is greatly appreciated.

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown
A couple of years after they first introduced the Scalpel, they replaced the older alu seatstay design with a one-piece composite unit (which can be retrofitted to older frames, which is what it sounds like happened with your frame). Weight saving, stiffness, etc., nothing to be worried about.