Cecchini - Fuentes connection

tcklyde

Dec 17, 2003
Cyclingnews reports this. I expect that others here may have heard more?
Was Italian doctor Luigi Cecchini the middleman to Italian riders in the Fuentes affair? The Italian media is saying that his name has come up as a middleman.

According to the dpa, under questioning, both Ivan Basso and Michele Scarponi have given "useful evidence towards the identification of an Italian doctor" who introduced them to Fuentes. La Republica is specifically saying that it is Cecchini.

The sid press agency says that Ettore Torri, who is handling the investigation for the Italian Olympic Committee, now wishes to question Cecchini. The Italian doctor has worked with many big name riders, including Jan Ullrich.

Of course Riis has long been associated with Cecchini, so wonder if this will bring him in more...

Cecchini clients?
Riis
Hamilton
D. Millar (anyone ever confirm this?)
T. Dekker
Ullrich

tcklyde said:
Cyclingnews reports this. I expect that others here may have heard more?

Of course Riis has long been associated with Cecchini, so wonder if this will bring him in more...

Cecchini clients?
Riis
Hamilton
D. Millar (anyone ever confirm this?)
T. Dekker
Ullrich
Millar was definitely a client as late as last year, because the British Cycling Federation asked him to end his association with him.
Also clients;
Petacchi (there was a nickname 'Ale' found in Fuentes wallet- Ale Jet?)
Cunego
Cipollini
Cancellara and, according to cycle sport, three other CSC riders.
All these names were printed in cycle sport as being clients of cecchini

Moller said:
Millar was definitely a client as late as last year, because the British Cycling Federation asked him to end his association with him.
Also clients;
Petacchi (there was a nickname 'Ale' found in Fuentes wallet- Ale Jet?)
Cunego
Cipollini
Cancellara and, according to cycle sport, three other CSC riders.
All these names were printed in cycle sport as being clients of cecchini

Soooooooo cyclist needs a "training program" so they ask around to the riders.... they get the phone number of Cecchini or his associate. They make contact and actually get a training programme for ‘x’ fee. If they want to ‘up’ the programme to include doping then Cecchini or an associate puts them in touch with Fuentes who organizes the dope programme around the training and racing programme. I think Ferrari is the same. He doesn't organize doping programmes anymore just oversees them. No blood on the premises or doping product so the police can't charge them. Think the link is not unusual but you can see how they are introduced to Fuentes through this method. Nothing wrong with a rider giving out Cecchini details and some riders may not use the additional services. The Riis link wouldn’t surprise me if he assisted riders getting in touch with Cecchini and then for them to make the step to Fuentes. Keeps Riis in the clear and the rider can then get onto the gear of their own accord. Riis is probably happy that Fuentes is supplying and arranging as this reduces the riders risk of being caught or farking themselves up by trying inject of their own accord.