Cedar Plank Grilling question

"Steve B." wrote:

> Well, we tried it last night with Home Depot rough sawn cedar, and we
> both awoke this morning. I think Eastern red cedar is the stuff they
> carve hillbilly souvenirs from. Very red and does not grow large enough
> for lumber. This must be the white stuff.
>
> I used only melted butter for seasoning and mild farmed salmon so we
> could taste the cedar effect, which was not much. Grill reached 550
> degrees but wood on the cool side did not smoke much, although it did
> char a little. More baked than smoked. Cooked 1 1/2" thick belly
> fillets in 20 min, but it had to sit another 10 min on the cooling grill
> because the wife was late.

We used to plank fresh caught fish on split cedar logs on canoe trips. There
was nothing fancy about it, just a quick and easy way to cook a fish, and the
best part is the clean up. You just toss your cooking medium into the fire :)

> Delicious meal, but the highlight was a bottle of Arroyo del Sol Pinot
> Noir from A Taste of Monterey, a wine club that specializes in the wines
> of Monterey County.

I often hear that Pinto Noir is the wine for grilled salmon, but I always find
that it goes well with a nice Gewurztaminer. It is a wine that I don't
particularly like on its own or with many other foods, but I think it is
really good with grilled salmon.