Cedar Valley Trail in Iowa & Showers

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by The Big Biker, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. A question for those who has ridden the Cedar Valley Trail from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo or other
    trails but same situation. I rode part of the trail last year (in late June). The biggest thing is
    after I was finished riding, there was no place to go take a shower and clean up. I drove from there
    to Indiana being filthy. I was just passing through between Colorado and Indiana except to stop to
    do some miles on the trail.

    I am looking at riding the trail next Summer such as doing another section. Last year, the thought
    has crossed my mind to go to a college campus and go into a dorm or an athletic facility as one
    idea. Another place was going to a hotel and ask the maids to use a shower in a room that has not
    been cleaned up yet. Any other suggestions ?

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    Tags:

  2. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: [email protected] (The Big Biker)

    >The biggest thing is after I was finished riding, there was no place to go
    take a shower and clean up.
    >Any other suggestions ?

    Campgrounds. Most will allow a shower for a buck or two. If you're feeling larcenous, just ride in
    and head for the showers!

    Sig Chicago

  3. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    The Big Biker wrote:
    > A question for those who has ridden the Cedar Valley Trail from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo or other
    > trails but same situation. I rode part of the trail last year (in late June). The biggest thing is
    > after I was finished riding, there was no place to go take a shower and clean up. I drove from
    > there to Indiana being filthy. I was just passing through between Colorado and Indiana except to
    > stop to do some miles on the trail.
    >
    > I am looking at riding the trail next Summer such as doing another section. Last year, the thought
    > has crossed my mind to go to a college campus and go into a dorm or an athletic facility as one
    > idea. Another place was going to a hotel and ask the maids to use a shower in a room that has not
    > been cleaned up yet. Any other suggestions ?

    Truck stops. Their showers are clean (cleaner than home!), private, they provide a
    towel/soap/washcloth, and the water's always hot. Usually about $5 to get clean. They also offer
    team showers, for you and a friend. Not to mention the cappucino machines, the trucker
    knick-knacks (where else can you find a lighter plug electric blanket?), and the friendly folks.
    And they are everywhere. Watch for billboards next time you're on the interstate, or just go to
    the fuel desk at the next place. They might not advertise a shower, but they've got 'em.

    --Karen M. who used to boondock in truckstops in a full size van

  4. Harley

    Harley Guest

    "How much does the Depot at Gilbertville charge for a shower ?"

    No charge....

    If you carry a towel there are several places you can go for a swim. Let me know if you come thru;
    I'll ride with you a bit and even buy you a beer. ~h~

    (CVTrail Pics) http://community-2.webtv.net/too2wheels/Overnightrideto/

  5. Harley

    Harley Guest

    At the northern end you pass thru Mcfarland campground w/showers, and the railroad depot on the
    trail at Gilbertville, Ia. w/shower. I haven't looked at the south end for showers. Trail is paved
    from Mcfarland north.

  6. Thanks for the information :) so far.

    I am more interested in the South end of the trail. I know there is a college in town - Coe College
    but knowing how colleges have gotten security minded in the last several years, it might be hard to
    go to a dorm or their athletic facilities to take a shower. I didn't know about Coe College at the
    time. The thought of stopping at a College/University to shower crossed my mind.

    How much does the Depot at Gilbertville charge for a shower ?

    news:<[email protected]>...