Cedar Valley Trail in Iowa & Showers

The Big Biker

Guest
A question for those who has ridden the Cedar Valley Trail from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo or other
trails but same situation. I rode part of the trail last year (in late June). The biggest thing is
after I was finished riding, there was no place to go take a shower and clean up. I drove from there
to Indiana being filthy. I was just passing through between Colorado and Indiana except to stop to
do some miles on the trail.

I am looking at riding the trail next Summer such as doing another section. Last year, the thought
has crossed my mind to go to a college campus and go into a dorm or an athletic facility as one
idea. Another place was going to a hotel and ask the maids to use a shower in a room that has not
been cleaned up yet. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

>From: [email protected] (The Big Biker)

>The biggest thing is after I was finished riding, there was no place to go
take a shower and clean up.
>Any other suggestions ?

Campgrounds. Most will allow a shower for a buck or two. If you're feeling larcenous, just ride in
and head for the showers!

Sig Chicago

The Big Biker wrote:
> A question for those who has ridden the Cedar Valley Trail from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo or other
> trails but same situation. I rode part of the trail last year (in late June). The biggest thing is
> after I was finished riding, there was no place to go take a shower and clean up. I drove from
> there to Indiana being filthy. I was just passing through between Colorado and Indiana except to
> stop to do some miles on the trail.
>
> I am looking at riding the trail next Summer such as doing another section. Last year, the thought
> has crossed my mind to go to a college campus and go into a dorm or an athletic facility as one
> idea. Another place was going to a hotel and ask the maids to use a shower in a room that has not
> been cleaned up yet. Any other suggestions ?

Truck stops. Their showers are clean (cleaner than home!), private, they provide a
towel/soap/washcloth, and the water's always hot. Usually about $5 to get clean. They also offer
team showers, for you and a friend. Not to mention the cappucino machines, the trucker
knick-knacks (where else can you find a lighter plug electric blanket?), and the friendly folks.
And they are everywhere. Watch for billboards next time you're on the interstate, or just go to
the fuel desk at the next place. They might not advertise a shower, but they've got 'em.

--Karen M. who used to boondock in truckstops in a full size van

At the northern end you pass thru Mcfarland campground w/showers, and the railroad depot on the
trail at Gilbertville, Ia. w/shower. I haven't looked at the south end for showers. Trail is paved
from Mcfarland north.

Thanks for the information :) so far.

I am more interested in the South end of the trail. I know there is a college in town - Coe College
but knowing how colleges have gotten security minded in the last several years, it might be hard to
go to a dorm or their athletic facilities to take a shower. I didn't know about Coe College at the
time. The thought of stopping at a College/University to shower crossed my mind.

How much does the Depot at Gilbertville charge for a shower ?

news:<[email protected]>...