Celebrate a True Star

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by rocko, Aug 15, 2006.

1. rocko

rocko New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/5253924.stm

Nicole Cooke is easily Britain's most underrated sporting star. We give all our attentions to football teams that win nothing and up and coming tennis stars who win even less. Nicole is a winner who doesn't dope and she gives hope to all cycling fans depressed by the likes of Landis. It's about bl**dy time she was on the cover of Pro Cycling, Cycle Sport or one of the other big mags. If she had a bigger team around her she'd be a cert for the Worlds road race this year and would probably have won last year too.

Tags:

2. meandmybike

meandmybike New Member

You'd have to put a plastic sleeve over the cover (like they do with adult mags) in case her photo scared small children. :eek:

Talented cyclist without question. But no editor in their right mind is going to put that mug on their cover.

3. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Agreed she is a real minger ! :eek:

4. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Yarrrrrr, that is goin' to replace ye whale in mi nightmarrrrrrss

5. rob of the og

rob of the og New Member

:rolleyes: poor girl really doesn't photograph well, but is actually quite good looking in person. I don't think she'll be too bothered though, she could beat you on the bike anytime.

http://www.nicolecooke.com/main/gallery/2006/pink.html

6. when eddy ruled

when eddy ruled New Member

imagine if her and floyd had kids??? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! :D :D

now seriously, i can handle being ugly but i sure would love to have 1/2 of her bike talent.

7. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

ProCycling is trying to figure out how to get Lance on the cover again. And again. And again.

8. SaintAndrew

SaintAndrew New Member

looks like a cross between a vulture and garden-variety minger.

9. rocko

rocko New Member

What a twat of a comment. I didn't say put her on the cover of Playboy. Am I to take it you'd rather the face of some glamour puss like Landis or maybe Kloden would suit you better? Are we really buying these bike magazines 'cause we look at the guys on the cover and think, "ooh he's nice, I'll have myself some of that!" This is not the 1950's, sexist attitudes like that are the reason Nicole is paid only a fraction of her worth as an athlete.

10. meandmybike

meandmybike New Member

Personally I'd rather see a nice bit of carbon fibre on the cover.

As for this not being the 1950s, I agree. Today's society is far more sexually open and sex sells. Get over it. Nicole has. She lets her legs do the talking.

And as for her being paid a fraction of what's she worth, I think this is determined by market forces not athletic ability. Cycling is not a big sport in the UK and her appeal is as such limited. Her looks limit her earning potential, it's true. Same as it's true that looks mean Tom Boonen is more attractive to sponsors than say Paulo Bettini or Floyd Landis (pre-dope test) or David Beckham is more attractive than John Terry.

Oops, there I go again with my gay comments. Better go. Legs are getting a bit stubbly... :eek:

11. rocko

rocko New Member

The point is we should be celebrating athletes for their athletic ability and not only celebrating doping cheats and also not only celebrating those athletes someone else has declared physically attractive. If Landis had not been caught he would be on the cover of all bike magazines (and already is one that was printed before the test results) and would be there not for his looks, not because sex sells but because of his athletic achievements.

12. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Here a picture of Nicole during the Fleche Wallonne 2006 (on the famous wall of Huy)

13. El Loto

El Loto New Member

Her hair is too thin and she shouldn't straighten it that much.

14. Martin Jackson

Martin Jackson New Member

If it's any consolation, I'd do both Landis and the British chick at the same time. In fact, me and Floyd were sipping coffee with David Z in Spain a couple weeks back and she rode by and threw her hotel key at us. We was like, "Damn! It's on!"

15. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

Women in sports are not paid as much as men because they are not as good, and so fewer people watch. That's no more sexist than men strippers getting paid less than female strippers.

16. Coppifan

Coppifan New Member