Cell Bikes Australia- what are the bikes like

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Aug 20, 2007.

  1. Hello,
    The Cell bikes are getting more popular every month, there is a
    distributor near by.
    I am looking at a http://www.cellbikes.com.au/p_564_CELL_BICYCLES__TRIUMPH__Carbon_Seat_Stay_Road_Bike
    as my next bike. not much of an upgrade but will be more of a
    replacement on my current Giant with 105 gears and cheap brakes.
    Has any one had one of these Cell bikes? How do they perform and
    stack up? Are they worth the money or am i better to pay $600 extra
    and get a brand eg. Giant. My experience with Giant has been bad so i
    figure that a Cell bike could be no worse than my Giant.
    What would serviceing be like? Do i have to take it back to the Cell
    shop for services or am i ok to take it to my local shop afterall
    shimano is shimano right? its just on a different frame????

    Tags:

  2. just bumping it was off the page.

    Anyone used Cell Bikes?

  3. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Have you asked this in the country specific forum? Don't expect much of an answer here.

  4. jur wrote:
    > Have you asked this in the country specific forum? Don't expect much of
    > an answer here.

    There are plenty of Australians here. Frankly I haven't seen much from
    Cell bikes to get excited over.

    Dorfus

  5. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Aug 22, 4:30 pm, Dorfus Dippintush
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > jur wrote:
    > > Have you asked this in the country specific forum? Don't expect much of
    > > an answer here.

    > There are plenty of Australians here. Frankly I haven't seen much from
    > Cell bikes to get excited over.
    >
    > Dorfus

    A few months back, Australian Bicycling carried a review of one of
    their bikes. The tone of it was "you gets what you pays". Why not ask
    Cell your servicing question?

  6. On Aug 20, 7:38 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello,
    > The Cell bikes are getting more popular every month, there is a
    > distributor near by.
    > I am looking at ahttp://www.cellbikes.com.au/p_564_CELL_BICYCLES__TRIUMPH__Carbon_Seat...
    > as my next bike. not much of an upgrade but will be more of a
    > replacement on my current Giant with 105 gears and cheap brakes.
    > Has any one had one of these Cell bikes? How do they perform and
    > stack up? Are they worth the money or am i better to pay $600 extra
    > and get a brand eg. Giant. My experience with Giant has been bad so i
    > figure that a Cell bike could be no worse than my Giant.
    > What would serviceing be like? Do i have to take it back to the Cell
    > shop for services or am i ok to take it to my local shop afterall
    > shimano is shimano right? its just on a different frame????

    Once again the long pole in the tent is the frame..with components
    upgraded. Should be the opposite..better frame/fork with similar
    components for more $. BUT easier to 'sell' an upgraded RD or shifter
    than a frame that 'looks' like another.

  7. > Once again the long pole in the tent is the frame..with components
    > upgraded. Should be the opposite..better frame/fork with similar
    > components for more $. BUT easier to 'sell' an upgraded RD or shifter
    > than a frame that 'looks' like another.

    so a better frame is the issue here with these bikes? What about the
    cost say eg. $2,000 is my send amount. Is this the best bike i can
    get for $2,000 or would i be better getting a Giant for $2,000 with
    only part carbon frame, and full 105, not ultegra gears?? At least
    the Cell has full carbon frame????

  8. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Aug 23, 8:39 am, [email protected] wrote:
    > > Once again the long pole in the tent is the frame..with components
    > > upgraded. Should be the opposite..better frame/fork with similar
    > > components for more $. BUT easier to 'sell' an upgraded RD or shifter
    > > than a frame that 'looks' like another.

    > so a better frame is the issue here with these bikes? What about the
    > cost say eg. $2,000 is my send amount. Is this the best bike i can
    > get for $2,000 or would i be better getting a Giant for $2,000 with
    > only part carbon frame, and full 105, not ultegra gears?? At least
    > the Cell has full carbon frame????

    QSPG is in the USA and you are in Australia, so the dollar amounts may
    not equate or add up.
    Is your chief concern in getting a "better bike" to get one that rides
    better, or "works" better?
    What has been the problem(s) with Giant, the bike feels 'bad' (bad fit
    or bad quality?) or mechanically problematic?
    If mechanicals, how far have you ridden it, and is the equipment worn
    out, or just perpetually out of adjustment/dirty etc.?
    If it's problems with gears etc. being out of adjustment, then
    switching to another brand of frame won't make any difference. Even
    spending more on better mechanicals won't make any difference, if you
    don't keep it maintained either yourself or by paying a good mechanic.
    If you haven't ridden it far and the equipment is not worn out, your
    best solution might be to try getting the Giant in really good order
    and keeping it that way. But if you insist on spending money on gear
    not service, maybe buy a nice frame, port the equipment over, maybe a
    new wheelset with your $600, and then maintain it well. In a year or
    two, you could pick up a new groupset, say 105 or Ultegra.

    Donga

  9. yes i maintain my bikes,
    too many problems to list with my giant, noises ect, it had a fsa fron
    crank replaced with shimano on the third one and the bottom bracket on
    the third one and the frame replaced, and the wheel replaced, and the
    chain replaced.

    Bringing my to the reason that these "cheaper" bike my be just as good
    as a Giant..
    >>Better bike?? I guess, faster, lighter, more ridged, aerodynamic, sturdy, and more bullet proof.

    Faster and light and good gears and lightness are the big ones.

    I am nearly up to 5,000km on this giant, is there a rule of thumb for
    replacing? I know my bike has a lot of k's left in it. Say at
    20,000kms things become a bit unreliable?

  10. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Aug 23, 11:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
    > yes i maintain my bikes,
    > too many problems to list with my giant, noises ect, it had a fsa fron
    > crank replaced with shimano on the third one and the bottom bracket on
    > the third one and the frame replaced, and the wheel replaced, and the
    > chain replaced.
    >
    > Bringing my to the reason that these "cheaper" bike my be just as good
    > as a Giant..>>Better bike?? I guess, faster, lighter, more ridged, aerodynamic, sturdy, and more bullet proof.
    >
    > Faster and light and good gears and lightness are the big ones.
    >
    > I am nearly up to 5,000km on this giant, is there a rule of thumb for
    > replacing? I know my bike has a lot of k's left in it. Say at
    > 20,000kms things become a bit unreliable?

    Holy crap, 5,000 kms is just beginning to wear in a decent bike. You
    would have changed the chain once at around 4000, and a new set of
    tires, but everything else should be purring. The frame should be 'as
    new' except for any dings you've put in it.

    About now (or a month ago), shops are running out their 2007 bikes for
    the new ones. If you are quick, you might pick up a very good deal for
    $2-2.5K. Do the rounds of the reputable shops and ask them to help you
    out. Let us know what you find to choose from. Where are you?

    Donga