Cell Phone Holder

Mike Erickson

Feb 7, 2004
Any ideas out there on the best way to carry my cell phone? It's an essential part of my gear as I typically ride in the country and need it in case I get stranded, etc. I use to clip my phone to my Camel Back (in front ~ worked great) but I've now migrated back to water bottles. I've been carrying my phone in my jersey rear pocket, but with wind noise, I'm finding that I've missed several calls. The eHolster (www.eholster.com/ezio.html) is close to what I have in mind, but it looks too bulky. I'd like something super light weight. Web searching hasn't turned up anything.

Originally posted by Mike Erickson
Any ideas out there on the best way to carry my cell phone? I'd like something super light weight. Web searching hasn't turned up anything.

I use a BentoBox, which is designed to hold snacks. Keeps the phone right in front of me, so I never miss a call (if I need to take it). It's very lightweight, very easy to remove if you're not using it.

here's a description and photo:

http://www.all3sports.com/product/categoryID/18/Manufacturer/0/ProductID/219

I use a corded handsfree on my Nokia, the phone goes in the right hand pocket at the back of my jersery, the cable runs inside my jersey and the earpiece and answer button/mike are pulled through my collar, I then tuck the earpiece into the collar so that the cable does not slip down inside my jersey. When a call comes in, I pop the earpiece into my ear and press the answer button.

To make a call I can either use voice tags via the mike and earpiece, or pop the phone out from my back pocket, dial, and pop the phone back into my pocket.

I also use the Bento Box, but often put my cell in my back jersey pocket. When I do, I set the phone to vibrate. When phone goes off it startles me, but there is no mistaking that it's ringing!

"It's an essential part of my gear as I typically ride in the country and need it in case I get stranded, etc."

If that's the case then why do you leave the phone on. You just don't want to get flamed for saying that you feel insecure without the phone on. Are you riding or not. That is what you need to ask yourself. If you are riding turn the bloody phone off and who cares where you carry it.

I can't stand riders with a phone going off. Do you turn it off in movies? Probably not.

focus on the task at hand and leave it off.

Originally posted by ewitz
Are you riding or not. That is what you need to ask yourself. If you are riding turn the bloody phone off and who cares where you carry it.

I can't stand riders with a phone going off. Do you turn it off in movies? Probably not.

focus on the task at hand and leave it off.

It must be great that YOU don't need a phone, and that YOU don't have anyone that needs to get in touch with you whenever you're riding. Some of us DO work for a living, AND still wish to ride. It seems to me it's OUR business if we need a phone on and with us. After all, if you're "focused on the task at hand", my cellphone shouldn't be able to disturb you (if I were so unfortunate as to be riding with you). Oh, and I NEVER have my phone on anything but vibrate while in the movies.

The good news: with a cellphone and a laptop/internet connection, you can do business anywhere. The bad news: with a cellphone and a laptop/internet connection, you can do business anywhere. (Which means if I ride between 7am and 6pm Mon-Fri, I have clients who EXPECT and sometimes NEED to reach me - so it is NECESSARY that I have a phone on and with me during those hours.)

Originally posted by Allen H
The good news: with a cellphone and a laptop/internet connection, you can do business anywhere. The bad news: with a cellphone and a laptop/internet connection, you can do business anywhere. (Which means if I ride between 7am and 6pm Mon-Fri, I have clients who EXPECT and sometimes NEED to reach me - so it is NECESSARY that I have a phone on and with me during those hours.)

Hey, the good the bad and the ugly world of technology. I agree with both of you to some extent, as I am in the same boat. I am expected to be accessible 24/7 to some extent or another. BUT, I usually ride with my phone at home!

Well, that is whenever I can. There are times I must admit that I have taken the phone along . . . but left it off. Riding for me is a purely focused time to unwind.

If I am going to put an hour+ into my ride during my business hours and I know I might be needed, I take a five minute break from my ride to check my messages. Other than that it is for emergencies only. Who wants to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a piece missing from their repair kit, no phone, and not a soul in sight for miles?

To each his own I guess.