Cell phone

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Yum, May 31, 2004.

  1. Yum

    Yum Guest

    I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    My phone is too large to carry on my back pocket and a wire to headset
    bothers me.
    I tried bluetooth headset, but it is too big and not very comfortable while
    wearing helmet.
    Cell phone pocket on the backpack's shoulder belt is the simplest and works
    best so far,
    but it would be nice if I don't have to carry backpack sometimes.
    Does anybody have good solution ?
    Is there a helmet with builtin headset ?

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Yum wrote:
    :: I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    :: My phone is too large to carry on my back pocket and a wire to
    :: headset bothers me.
    :: I tried bluetooth headset, but it is too big and not very
    :: comfortable while wearing helmet.
    :: Cell phone pocket on the backpack's shoulder belt is the simplest
    :: and works best so far,
    :: but it would be nice if I don't have to carry backpack sometimes.
    :: Does anybody have good solution ?
    :: Is there a helmet with builtin headset ?

    I carry mine in my top-ube bag. If I need to use it, I'll stop and get off
    the bike.

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Yum wrote:

    > I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    > My phone is too large to carry on my back pocket and a wire to headset
    > bothers me.
    > I tried bluetooth headset, but it is too big and not very comfortable
    > while wearing helmet.
    > Cell phone pocket on the backpack's shoulder belt is the simplest and
    > works best so far,
    > but it would be nice if I don't have to carry backpack sometimes.
    > Does anybody have good solution ?
    > Is there a helmet with builtin headset ?

    Get a smaller phone! Plenty of good ones out there, and they're cheap.

    Matt O.

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Yum wrote:
    > I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.

    Don't.

    Greg

  5. NoSpamForMe

    NoSpamForMe Guest

    > Yum wrote:
    > > I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    > >

    > Don't.
    >
    > Greg

    I agree with Greg. That is one of the nice things about
    bicycling.....getting away from all the daily annoyances & distractions.

    Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone at
    all times ?

    I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.

    On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you in
    case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need to
    get help. That makes more sense.

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    NoSpamForMe wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Yum wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    >>>

    >>Don't.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >>

    > I agree with Greg. That is one of the nice things about
    > bicycling.....getting away from all the daily annoyances & distractions.
    >
    > Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone at
    > all times ?
    >
    > I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.
    >
    > On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you in
    > case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need to
    > get help. That makes more sense.

    I'd rather get help the old fashioned way.

    Greg

  7. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:27:31 -0700, "Yum" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    >My phone is too large to carry on my back pocket and a wire to headset
    >bothers me.
    >I tried bluetooth headset, but it is too big and not very comfortable while
    >wearing helmet.
    >Cell phone pocket on the backpack's shoulder belt is the simplest and works
    >best so far,
    >but it would be nice if I don't have to carry backpack sometimes.
    >Does anybody have good solution ?
    >Is there a helmet with builtin headset ?

    I've had a couple of close calls with bikers using a cell phone while
    riding. And I've seen some other close calls. I bet that the issues
    for car drivers- mental distraction primarily- are similar for bike
    riders.

    I used to think that things were bad when people with wireless phones
    in their home would go into the bathroom while talking to me. Little
    did I know....

  8. Pistof

    Pistof Guest

    > NoSpamForMe wrote:
    > > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >>Don't.
    > >>
    > >>Greg
    > >>

    > > I agree with Greg. That is one of the nice things about
    > > bicycling.....getting away from all the daily annoyances & distractions.
    > >
    > > Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone

    at
    > > all times ?
    > >
    > > I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you

    in
    > > case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need

    > > get help. That makes more sense.
    > >

    > I'd rather get help the old fashioned way.

    Prayer?

    Dave

  9. NoSpamForMe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone at
    > all times ?
    > I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.

    yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
    not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?

    > On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you in
    > case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need to
    > get help. That makes more sense.

    sure. puts the fear of god into those nasty car drivers. if you think i'm
    kidding watch what happens when you pull out the cell phone and look at
    someone's license plate. it has a wonderful soothing effect.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:
    > NoSpamForMe <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone at
    >>all times ?
    >>I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.

    > yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
    > not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?

    No, that's pathetic.

    >>On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you in
    >>case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need to
    >>get help. That makes more sense.

    > sure. puts the fear of god into those nasty car drivers. if you think i'm
    > kidding watch what happens when you pull out the cell phone and look at
    > someone's license plate. it has a wonderful soothing effect.

    That's just about the only reason to carry one while riding.

    Greg

  11. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Pistof wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>NoSpamForMe wrote:
    >>
    >>>"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>I agree with Greg. That is one of the nice things about
    >>>bicycling.....getting away from all the daily annoyances & distractions.
    >>>
    >>>Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone

    > at
    >
    >>>all times ?
    >>>
    >>>I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.
    >>>
    >>>On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you

    > in
    >
    >>>case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need

    >>>get help. That makes more sense.
    >>>

    >>I'd rather get help the old fashioned way.

    > Prayer?

    No, by staying out of the cell cocoon and relating with people.

    Greg

  12. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:25:43 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >David Reuteler wrote:
    >> NoSpamForMe <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by telephone at
    >>>all times ?
    >>>I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious question.

    >> yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
    >> not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?
    >>

    >No, that's pathetic.
    >

    >>>On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you in
    >>>case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need to
    >>>get help. That makes more sense.

    >> sure. puts the fear of god into those nasty car drivers. if you think i'm
    >> kidding watch what happens when you pull out the cell phone and look at
    >> someone's license plate. it has a wonderful soothing effect.

    >That's just about the only reason to carry one while riding.
    >
    >Greg

    How about consideration for others? Now that it's so easy to do, it
    seems rude not to advise people waiting on your return if you get
    delayed.

    How about survival? Out on the trail on your own (and you only have to
    be quarter of a mile from the nearest person), if you fall and
    immobilise yourself, you're going to be waiting for the next person to
    come past, and hope that they see you down in that bombhole you fell
    into. I'd rather be a live pussy than a dead hero in those
    circumstances.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  13. G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
    >> not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?

    > No, that's pathetic.

    yea, well, welcome to the tech industry ... where any reason you can give
    them to not ship your job to india is worth playing.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  14. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Yum" wrote ...
    > I wonder how do people carry cell phone while on bike.
    > My phone is too large to carry on my back pocket and a wire to headset
    > bothers me.
    > <snip>
    > Does anybody have good solution ?

    Try a fanny pack.

  15. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    NoSpamForMe wrote:

    > Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by
    > telephone at all times ?

    I wish I were important enough to *not* be at anyone's beck and call.

    Matt O.

  16. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "NoSpamForMe" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I agree with Greg. That is one of the nice things about
    > bicycling.....getting away from all the daily annoyances &
    > distractions.

    Indeed!

    > Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by
    > telephone at all times ?
    >
    > I do not mean that in a wiseass way, but rather as a serious
    > question.

    Like many people, I do need to be reachable at times (e.g., when I am
    on call for the clinic I work at). Many people carry a cell phone so
    family members can call if needed.

    > On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with
    > you in case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle
    > and you need to get help. That makes more sense.

    I suppose this is possible, although in over 35 years of riding bike
    I've seen one situation where a cell phone would have been handy (car
    getting rear ended and flipped upside down into the ditch about 300
    yards in front of me). Fortunately someone did have a cell phone and
    911 had been called by the time all the cars came to rest, just about
    literally.

  17. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:
    > G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>>yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
    >>>not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?

    >>No, that's pathetic.

    > yea, well, welcome to the tech industry ... where any reason you can give
    > them to not ship your job to india is worth playing.

    Just because you're available 24 hours a day by phone isn't going to help
    prevent your job from being outsourced.

    Greg

  18. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:25:43 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>David Reuteler wrote:

    >>>yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
    >>>not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?
    >>>

    >>No, that's pathetic.

    >>>sure. puts the fear of god into those nasty car drivers. if you think i'm
    >>>kidding watch what happens when you pull out the cell phone and look at
    >>>someone's license plate. it has a wonderful soothing effect.

    >>That's just about the only reason to carry one while riding.
    >>
    >>Greg

    > How about consideration for others? Now that it's so easy to do, it
    > seems rude not to advise people waiting on your return if you get
    > delayed.

    The first payphone I reach has always sufficed.

    > How about survival? Out on the trail on your own (and you only have to
    > be quarter of a mile from the nearest person), if you fall and
    > immobilise yourself, you're going to be waiting for the next person to
    > come past, and hope that they see you down in that bombhole you fell
    > into. I'd rather be a live pussy than a dead hero in those
    > circumstances.

    Yep, I concur, cell phone users are turning into a bunch of live pussies.

    Greg

  19. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > NoSpamForMe wrote:
    >

    >>Are you really that important that you have to be reachable by
    >>telephone at all times ?

    > I wish I were important enough to *not* be at anyone's beck and call.

    I don't think that happens.

    Greg

  20. Bonehenge

    Bonehenge Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:44:16 GMT, "NoSpamForMe"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On the other hand, perhaps you just want to have the cellphone with you in
    >case an emergency situation arises while riding the bicycle and you need to
    >get help. That makes more sense.

    Right on.

    Phones CAN be carried powered off. <G>

    Barry