Cell phone

> Are you under the impression that doctors on call can only
> receive calls at the office?
>
> I assure you, they lead lives like normal people after 5 pm
> and often sleep at their homes instead of on examining
> tables at their office. Some go out to restaurants, walk
> their dogs, play golf, and even ride bicycles.

Normal people ride bicycles?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Thanks for the links.
I like the phone bag idea.
I tried BlueTrek and Jabra headset, but wasn't very comfortable with helmet
on.
Probably I will try newer smaller one in the future. I wish they are
cheaper.

> Hands-free, voice activated phones are common these days, especially in

Europe
> and the UK where they're required while driving. The big problem with

bike use
> is finding one that's waterproof. In my experience, most phones are very
> susceptible to water damage -- even the smallest amount of dampness from

sweat
> on a hot day will destroy them. I'm very surprised no one has yet

marketed a
> waterproof phone.

Yes. This is a good point, especially where I live, Pacific NW.
My idea was to keep the phone in a water proof bag and use bluetooth
headset.
The major problem for me is, it is not very comfortable with helmet on.

Interesting idea. It is probably water proof.
I can probably use a regular water bottle as well.
Only problem is that I need to give up one of bottle cages.
That may be a problem for a long ride.
Thanks

> That said, I have to admit it annoys me to see someone on their bike,
> in an attractive landscape, riding along and talking on their cell
> phone. Ride or talk, is my feeling. Ditto driving, of course.

I am curious. Few other people expressed similar annoyance, but I still
don't understand.
What does bother you ? Noise (voice or ringer), safety concern(to biker
or others), or something else ?
I still want to use phone sometimes during a ride if possible, but don't
want to bother others.
I believe road racers use communication device during the race.

Thanks

Yumi wrote:

> I am curious. Few other people expressed similar annoyance, but I still
> don't understand.
> What does bother you ? Noise (voice or ringer), safety concern(to biker
> or others), or something else ?

Annoyances, in order of magnitude:

1. lack of attention to the task of cycling
2. distraction to other riders (when in a group)
3. rudeness of taking a private call when in a group
4. the annoying ringers

"Yumi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > That said, I have to admit it annoys me to see someone on their bike,
> > in an attractive landscape, riding along and talking on their cell
> > phone. Ride or talk, is my feeling. Ditto driving, of course.

> I am curious. Few other people expressed similar annoyance, but I still
> don't understand.
> What does bother you ? Noise (voice or ringer), safety concern(to biker
> or others), or something else ?
> I still want to use phone sometimes during a ride if possible, but don't
> want to bother others.
> I believe road racers use communication device during the race.

There's no rational explanation, it's just a cultural stigma that many
people have uncritically absorbed. Riders eat while riding and talk to other
riders while riding, and yet these people don't find that annoying. Those
things are no different from talking on a cell phone from a safety point of
view.

Technology is wonderful. Ignore the cultural ballast. Talk on your cell if
you like.

Shayne Wissler

"Yum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Interesting idea. It is probably water proof.
> I can probably use a regular water bottle as well.
> Only problem is that I need to give up one of bottle cages.
> That may be a problem for a long ride.

You didn't include the dialogue in your post to which you were
responding.

Unless you are extremely remote (crossing Mojave?) one large bottle
(even a small bottle, frankly) is sufficient. Do you mind stopping?

Robin Hubert

Shayne Wissler wrote:

> There's no rational explanation, it's just a cultural stigma that many
> people have uncritically absorbed.

Yup. Some people still regard cell phones as "uppity" or something. BTW, the
same crowd said the same things about answering machines back in the 70s, when
they were just catching on -- "Oh, Mr. Bighot, so important he needs an
ANSWERING MACHINE!"

> Technology is wonderful. Ignore the cultural ballast. Talk on your
> cell if you like.

Never let the peanut gallery rule your life.

Matt O.

On 2 Jun 2004 10:15:11 -0700, [email protected] (Robin Hubert)
wrote:
>Unless you are extremely remote (crossing Mojave?) one large bottle
>(even a small bottle, frankly) is sufficient.

This is very much an individual thing. Some people drink a lot more
than others.

>Do you mind stopping?

It would get very annoying to stop for water often, IMO.
--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:52:02 -0700, Jay Hill
<[email protected]> wrote:
[snip]

>********. It's rude.

[snip]

Dear Jay,

Yes, that's how Ann Landers always puts it.

Nothing like a display of tact and courtesy to highlight how
insufferable rude, arrogant people are.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Shayne Wissler wrote:
> "Yumi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> There's no rational explanation, it's just a cultural stigma that many
> people have uncritically absorbed.

********. It's rude.

>Riders eat while riding

So what. They're not holding a conversation about an unkown topic with
an unknown person while they're in the middle of a group of people that
have chosen to spend their time with them, and are specifically being
excluded from that conversation.

> and talk to other
> riders while riding,

Yes, and the other people in the group know who is talking and what
they're talking about. It's respecting the group they are with and
treating them with basic civility.

> Technology is wonderful.

Nothing like a stupid generalization to show how able you are to see
beyond a "cultural stigma." Were the people that were incinerated
at Nagasaki appreciative of how "Technology is wonderful"?

> Ignore the cultural ballast. Talk on your cell if
> you like.

"Cultural Ballast"? If you knew what ballast is, you wouldn't parrot
such an inappropriate metaphor.

"Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shayne Wissler wrote:
> > "Yumi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > There's no rational explanation, it's just a cultural stigma that many
> > people have uncritically absorbed.

> ********. It's rude.

No, you're just touchy.

> >Riders eat while riding

> So what. They're not holding a conversation about an unkown topic with
> an unknown person while they're in the middle of a group of people that
> have chosen to spend their time with them, and are specifically being
> excluded from that conversation.

Boo hoo.

> > and talk to other
> > riders while riding,

> Yes, and the other people in the group know who is talking and what
> they're talking about. It's respecting the group they are with and
> treating them with basic civility.

Grow up.

> > Technology is wonderful.

> Nothing like a stupid generalization to show how able you are to see
> beyond a "cultural stigma." Were the people that were incinerated
> at Nagasaki appreciative of how "Technology is wonderful"?

I don't think you want to get into an argument over politics. You'll lose.

> > Ignore the cultural ballast. Talk on your cell if
> > you like.

> "Cultural Ballast"? If you knew what ballast is, you wouldn't parrot
> such an inappropriate metaphor.

On the contrary, if you had a sliver of wit you'd have figured out what was
meant by the metaphor.

Shayne Wissler

> > Interesting idea. It is probably water proof.
> > I can probably use a regular water bottle as well.
> > Only problem is that I need to give up one of bottle cages.
> > That may be a problem for a long ride.

> You didn't include the dialogue in your post to which you were
> responding.

Oops. Sorry, I was replying to this suggestion.
"There are cell phone "safes" that safely pad them into a thing that fits
into a
water bottle cage. I recall them being pricey. "

> Unless you are extremely remote (crossing Mojave?) one large bottle
> (even a small bottle, frankly) is sufficient. Do you mind stopping?

It probaly depends on weather and distance. I wanted to carry at least two
water bottles
for a ride over 50 miles. Even for a short ride, I like to carry two
kinds of drinks.
Sports dring and water.

"Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shayne Wissler wrote:
> > "Yumi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > There's no rational explanation, it's just a cultural stigma that many
> > people have uncritically absorbed.

> ********. It's rude.

To me, this comment is very rude.

> >Riders eat while riding

> So what. They're not holding a conversation about an unkown topic with
> an unknown person while they're in the middle of a group of people that
> have chosen to spend their time with them, and are specifically being
> excluded from that conversation.

I don't buy this argument. This given scenario has nothing to do with
bicycle ride.
It is rude regardless of on or off the bike.

"Shayne Wissler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Shayne Wissler wrote:
> > > "Yumi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > There's no rational explanation, it's just a cultural stigma that many
> > > people have uncritically absorbed.

> > ********. It's rude.

> No, you're just touchy.

No, inconsiderate asshole ****s like you are ruining society with their "I'm
the only one who matters"
attitudes.

Greg

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:27:18 -0700, "G.T."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Shayne Wissler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > ********. It's rude.

>> No, you're just touchy.
>>

>No, inconsiderate asshole ****s like you are ruining society with their "I'm
>the only one who matters"
> attitudes.
>
>Greg

Dear Greg,

Ah, you silver-tongued devil, who can resist your logic and
authority on matters of courtesy? Clearly, you're the only
one who matters!

Carl Fogel

Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:52:02 -0700 received comm from
Jay Hill <[email protected]> on channel rec.bicycles.tech:

: Nothing like a stupid generalization to show how able you are to see
: beyond a "cultural stigma." Were the people that were incinerated
: at Nagasaki appreciative of how "Technology is wonderful"?

Not far away that your arguments comes down to the classic "nazi" usenet rule.

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> yes. on several of my jobs i was on call 24/7. w/o a cell phone i could
> >> not have ridden. pretty good reason, eh?

> > No, that's pathetic.

> yea, well, welcome to the tech industry ... where any reason you can give
> them to not ship your job to india is worth playing.

Greg seems to be forgetting it wasn't too long ago that he was out
of work!

On 31 May 2004 17:36:20 -0800, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How about survival? Out on the trail on your own (and you only have to
>> be quarter of a mile from the nearest person), if you fall and
>> immobilise yourself, you're going to be waiting for the next person to
>> come past, and hope that they see you down in that bombhole you fell
>> into. I'd rather be a live ***** than a dead hero in those
>> circumstances.

>It doesn't bother me if people choose to carry cellphones.
>However, in quite a few places that I ride, cellphone reception
>is pretty spotty. That includes some roads as well as trails.
>People are getting more used to the cellphone as a crutch in
>general. Relying on it on the bike and not being prepared by
>carrying flat-fixing gear, tools, enough water, being careful
>not to fall in big holes, etc is a big mistake. You may never
>do such a thing, but it's more common now to see riders whose first
>impulse is to reach for the cell and that's probably one of the
>things G.T. is reacting to.
>
>BTW, this all goes triple for hikers. People with no experience or
>planning get out in the woods expecting modern telecoms to be their
>fallback ...

Back in NH a few "climbers" when up on Mt. Washington, only to whip
out the mobile phone to incur a hefty extraction fee. One of these
"cubicle nation" types actually wore street shoes and shorts.

Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings