Cell SS100 vs Giant CRX4

From I what I can understand here, it sounds like putting drop bars on this type of bike is not viable because of the top bar length? Too far away from the saddle position?

I would say my CRX is one of the most aggressive (in terms of geometry) in Australia. I have my seat up high, have the stem angled max downwards, and the spacers above the stem.

Very aero, and fast - especially with a set of Continental 4000S (great tyres, they don't cut up like the ProRace2 or Evo Corsa CX and have great traction).

I passed a guy riding a Soloist with Zipp 404s last week, and boy was he embarrssed. He did have the edge on acceleration from the traffic lights though :D.

JeremyP said:
I would say my CRX is one of the most aggressive (in terms of geometry) in Australia. I have my seat up high, have the stem angled max downwards, and the spacers above the stem.

Very aero, and fast - especially with a set of Continental 4000S (great tyres, they don't cut up like the ProRace2 or Evo Corsa CX and have great traction).

I passed a guy riding a Soloist with Zipp 404s last week, and boy was he embarrssed. He did have the edge on acceleration from the traffic lights though :D.

Do you have a pic Jeremy? Might help me understand "stem angled max downwards, and the spacers above the stem."

thanks.
ET.

Apologies for the bad photo. But here it is. Probably should have purchased a smaller frame but I think I'm between sizes. The closest thing to drops on a flat bar :).

crx.jpg

Thanks - do you not find that the bar is too far away? Or does your comment on being in between sizes account for that?

I am just trying to find the most comfortable position on my longer rides (50km) that doesnt leave me with neck pain at the end of it - I will move it around a bit and experiment I guess.

etrust said:
Thanks - do you not find that the bar is too far away? Or does your comment on being in between sizes account for that?

I am just trying to find the most comfortable position on my longer rides (50km) that doesnt leave me with neck pain at the end of it - I will move it around a bit and experiment I guess.
I'd prefer a slighty longer stem but they don't seem to make these adjustable ones any longer. It does take time adjust to a position. When I'm riding a road bike I ride with a decent drop, so it's not too bad - for me at least. If you want to get an idea of what this position is like on your neck, imagine looking up at the sky while standing. Hope this helps :)

Avenger said:
The Wingra is better then both of these bikes. The ride position is excellent.

wingra.jpg
That's more of a hybrid, i.e compared to a Kona Dew or one of the Giant comfort bikes. The CRX is designed more for speed.

Hey bikebloke & gclark8

Did you guys end up doing the Great Perth Bike Ride last weekend?

I did the 53km and finished in 1:49 which I was happy with considering I only had three hours sleep and too much grog the night before at my g/f's work function!

Was great to see so many people out on their bikes. I thought the event was really well organised too. Tried SPD-SL pedals for the first time and almost fell over a couple of times while waiting to start...:D

Kneedown19 said:
Hey bikebloke ... Did you guys end up doing the Great Perth Bike Ride last weekend?

I did the 53km and finished in 1:49 which I was happy with considering I only had three hours sleep and too much grog the night before at my g/f's work function!

Was great to see so many people out on their bikes. I thought the event was really well organised too. Tried SPD-SL pedals for the first time and almost fell over a couple of times while waiting to start...:D
I didn't do TGBR in 2007... I went in 2005 & 2006. Your 1:49 is very good, much better than what I did last year (windy conditions). Just think how much better you would have done with more sleep, less grog and a better bike!!!!

This year, I did a leisurely ride with a group of locals up the Swan Valley. A nice day out indeed.

With regards to clipless pedals, just remember two words in order to get your foot away from the pedal:

'heel out'

That's right, you just rotate your heel outwards and your shoe come away from the pedal.

Heel out, OK?

Kneedown19 said:
Hey bikebloke & gclark8

Did you guys end up doing the Great Perth Bike Ride last weekend?
I am not riding just at the moment, too many bikes to build. We just had a BOYD in Bassendean, I have enough steel frames to make a toyota!

I heard BB was in the Swan Valley ride. ;)
Call around and have a look at this:

gclark8 said:
Call around and have a look at this:
Great photo shoot George, I'll drop by and check it out. I'm guessing it's a single-speed freewheel hub bike. All you need is a Brooks B17 narrow saddle to complete the project!

What's a BOYD? Bike Of Your Dreams?

BikeBloke said:
Great photo shoot George, I'll drop by and check it out. I'm guessing it's a single-speed freewheel hub bike. All you need is a Brooks B17 narrow saddle to complete the project!

What's a BOYD? Bike Of Your Dreams?
Bring Out Your Dead! :D

We were talking about you and Brooks Saddles on Thursday evening while I was fitting new 27x1" :eek: Tyres to Amanda's partner's Steel Aero DA Gordnson!

Current project: http://www.triwa.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1551