Centaur 10 speed versus Ultegra 10 speed

thanks for posting and keeping this thread near the top of the list!

Hey,

I was looking forward to some responces from riders who has used both as I am fairly isolated and was wondering the same thing. I've only ever used Campy Victory so anyone with personal preferances and had used both I'm all ears. (eyes).
Dave

I recently moved from Ultegra 9 to a mix of Campi elements, mostly Chorus except for the crankset (Record) and the Ergo-Shifters (Centaur). The Ultegra shifters worked very well and so are the Centaur units. I however prefer the Campi ergonomics but that's a personal thing. Mechanically I find the Campi system vastly more convenient with a triple crankset. With Shimano you have 4 left shifter positions so with a triple you have 1) small ring, 2) middle ring-large cogs, 3) middle ring-small cogs, and 4) large ring. Shifting from 3) to 2) is very sensitive and often results in a direct shift to the small ring (1) thus requiring an upshift to return to the middle ring. On the Campi system you have about 7 or 8 positions allowing minute adjustment to the front derailleur and eliminating rubbing noises. In addition each click is very positive and doesn't result in a double shift.
Again try both systems and decide what you prefer. Both are excellent and I am sure Ultegra 10 will be an improvement compared to the 9 speed system. If you use a triple crankset I would recommend Campagnolo.

I haven't used Ultegra 10 speed but I have used some 9-speed Shimano stuff. My road bike has Centaur 10-speed kit on it. As far as mechanical performance goes, either of these groups, when properly adjusted, ought to be easily good enough for anyone but elite racers, so I would think the choice comes down to aesthetics and which group "feels" best to you (oh yeah, and cost). Personally I would pick Campy over Shimano every time, because I hate the brake lever also being a shifter, I love the front shifter having so many stopping positions (it's like using a friction shifter, really), and I think Campy kit looks better.

dougal said:
Which is better and why?

When comparing the two I like to stick to facts and not opinions. Campy allows you to shift down the rear cassette 5 gears in one motion instead of 1 on the Shimano and the Campy front shifter has more positions to prevent chain rub when spinning big-big or little-little.

jitteringjr said:
...... and the Campy front shifter has more positions to prevent chain rub when spinning big-big or little-little.
Only an idiot would do that, and a properly adjusted shimano FD will handle that anyway, assuming the idiot knows how to adjust one.

boudreaux said:
Only an idiot would do that, and a properly adjusted shimano FD will handle that anyway, assuming the idiot knows how to adjust one.

You should know based on your experience here that there are a lot of idiots out there.

Besides that is not true, I seem to remember Lance spinning big-big on the way up one of the mountains finishes in last years TDF so he could get a fast jump to a bigger gear in case some one attacked. It is not a good idea as far as component wear, but there are times when extremes are good ideas.

jitteringjr said:
You should know based on your experience here that there are a lot of idiots out there.

Besides that is not true, I seem to remember Lance spinning big-big on the way up one of the mountains finishes in last years TDF so he could get a fast jump to a bigger gear in case some one attacked. It is not a good idea as far as component wear, but there are times when extremes are good ideas.
Yeah, if you race for a living and win 6 tours, ya get a little bit of slack.Common idiots shouldn't do it, and it just encourages them when some other idiot implies it's ok and a factual reason Campy is better...LOL :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
Yeah, if you race for a living and win 6 tours, ya get a little bit of slack.Common idiots shouldn't do it, and it just encourages them when some other idiot implies it's ok and a factual reason Campy is better...LOL :rolleyes:

Give me a break. Ok sure not everyone races for a living so I'll give you an every day user example. You are riding in rolling hills and you are near the top of a hill. You need to downshift, but you only have ten meters before the top and where you will just have to shift back up. So you shift to big- big for a few rpms to avoid shifting the front DR.

I'm not saying you should ride consistently at your gearing extremes, but short periods will not cause significant harm.

I also didn't give a "factual reason Campy is better", I gave a factual difference. You implied that. And don't call me an idiot.

jitteringjr said:
You need to downshift, but you only have ten meters before the top and where you will just have to shift back up. So you shift to big- big for a few rpms to avoid shifting the front DR.
Not me bub. Maybe the idiots.

jitteringjr said:
When comparing the two I like to stick to facts and not opinions. Campy allows you to shift down the rear cassette 5 gears in one motion instead of 1 on the Shimano and the Campy front shifter has more positions to prevent chain rub when spinning big-big or little-little.
Agree facts are important. Shimano (at least DA) allows a downshift of 3 gears at a time, not one as you stated. And "more positions" on the front shifter aren't really an advantage if you don't need them. The Shimano "one click" trim works just fine to prevent chain rub in any gear combination, so I fail to see how more is better.

Not trying to say either grupo is superior; that's a personal choice. There's no need to exaggerate "advantages" for either side. Both have their pros/cons which influence our buying decisions.

dhk said:
Agree facts are important. Shimano (at least DA) allows a downshift of 3 gears at a time, not one as you stated.

I guess I confused up-shift and down-shift. In Campy, you can shift down the cassette (towards the smaller gears) up to 5 gears where with Shimano it is only 1. Now both will allow shifting up the cassette (towards larger gears) up to 3 at a time.