Centaur triple chainset & front derailleur with a Chorus 111mm BB?

Jimboy

Guest
A trip to the Tour de France this year and a (very) bad knee necessitates an change to a triple
chainset to get up l'Alp d'Huez! As I have two bikes I'd like to use the triple on my Litespeed for
Le Tour and then swap it over to my training bike afterwards.

My question is will a Centaur triple chainset work with a Chorus 111mm bottom bracket and a Centaur
front derailleur (all 10 speed)?

The Campagnolo website has the following relevant information:

Bottom bracket: 111mm Record or Chorus bottom brackets will work with a Record chainset but there is
no mention of whether they work with a Centaur triple chainset.

An added complication is that the website also says that a Centaur FD on an oversize seat tube (Ø 32
or 35mm) means a 115.5 mm bottom bracket should be used.

Front Derailleur: A Record/Chorus triple FD will work with a Record 111mm triple crankset.

What I need is some practical experience from someone who has tried this at home. :)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jimboy

It will propably work if you need a 111mm BB (normal seat tube), see: http://groups.google.com/grou-
ps?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=39fd47c55fbfa64&seekm=20021226182328.27836.00000252%40mb-mo.ao-
l.co m#link1

If you have an oversized seattube and need the 115.5mm i don't think it will work. The design of the
Record/Chorus cranks differs from the cheaper lines. The Centaur cranks propably hit the frame with
a 111mm BB.

"jimboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A trip to the Tour de France this year and a (very) bad knee necessitates an change to a triple
> chainset to get up l'Alp d'Huez! As I have two bikes I'd like to use the triple on my Litespeed
> for Le Tour and then swap it over to my training bike afterwards.
>
> My question is will a Centaur triple chainset work with a Chorus 111mm bottom bracket and a
> Centaur front derailleur (all 10 speed)?
>
> The Campagnolo website has the following relevant information:
>
> Bottom bracket: 111mm Record or Chorus bottom brackets will work with a Record chainset but there
> is no mention of whether they work with a Centaur triple chainset.
>
> An added complication is that the website also says that a Centaur FD on an oversize seat tube (Ø
> 32 or 35mm) means a 115.5 mm bottom bracket should be used.
>
> Front Derailleur: A Record/Chorus triple FD will work with a Record 111mm triple crankset.
>
> What I need is some practical experience from someone who has tried this at home. :)
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Jimboy

jimboy-<< My question is will a Centaur triple chainset work with a Chorus 111mm bottom bracket and
a Centaur front derailleur (all 10 speed)?

Yes to the der but a Chorus(and Record) triple BB is 111m but not symmetric so the Centaur crank
chainline may be amiss and the crank arms won't be even, distance wise, left and right.

Best to use a AC-H in 111mm or 115.5mm if the seattube is 'oversized', 31.8mm or 34.9mm, for front
der inward travel, not chainline.

Any triple front der will work, even those from thr 's' word...