centaur vs ultegra

ebola

Jul 22, 2003
hi,
Just ordered a Scott CR1pro ... wanted ultegra but my size (XXL) was not available for another 6 months so though 'to hell with it I'm not going to spend another 2 months trying to decide on another bike, get the Centaur and ride it'.

Now i'm having a little 'post purchase remorse' on reading some comparisons that suggest 2005 ultegra is ahead. The test rides i did that catalyzed my purchase ('what does a £2000 bike do that a £600 doesn't?' ah!) were ultegra (and some D.A & record bikes from 2004 .. but wrong sizes so a good job i didn't purchase..). I did ride the ultegra version.. loved it.

Well i like the look of this bike and it fixes the size issue i had previously (and other than that, max possible performance upgrade was the priority)

Any opinons or info on Centaur vs Ultegra. I gather the ultegra hollowtech cranks were spot on..
'there's no perceptible difference' or 'just change a couple of bits and it's the same'. or even 'well centaur is actually better!' would quell the remorse.
(well on the bright side it's at worst 90% of what i was after.. i'm sure i'll enjoy it when it turns up.)

I know fundementally getting the right size,spec,and a colour scheme i like was going to be difficult..

I'm agnostic to the ergonomics of each. this isn't intended to start a shimano vs campag debate.. but if you're a campag zealot feel free to tell me why it's better :)

I had contemplated spending more but figured at £2000 i still had budget to spare to fix things ...

ebola said:
hi,
Just ordered a Scott CR1pro ... wanted ultegra but my size (XXL) was not available for another 6 months so though 'to hell with it I'm not going to spend another 2 months trying to decide on another bike, get the Centaur and ride it'.

Now i'm having a little 'post purchase remorse' on reading some comparisons that suggest 2005 ultegra is ahead. The test rides i did that catalyzed my purchase ('what does a £2000 bike do that a £600 doesn't?' ah!) were ultegra (and some D.A & record bikes from 2004 .. but wrong sizes so a good job i didn't purchase..). I did ride the ultegra version.. loved it.

Well i like the look of this bike and it fixes the size issue i had previously (and other than that, max possible performance upgrade was the priority)

Any opinons or info on Centaur vs Ultegra. I gather the ultegra hollowtech cranks were spot on..
'there's no perceptible difference' or 'just change a couple of bits and it's the same'. or even 'well centaur is actually better!' would quell the remorse.
(well on the bright side it's at worst 90% of what i was after.. i'm sure i'll enjoy it when it turns up.)

I know fundementally getting the right size,spec,and a colour scheme i like was going to be difficult..

I'm agnostic to the ergonomics of each. this isn't intended to start a shimano vs campag debate.. but if you're a campag zealot feel free to tell me why it's better :)

I had contemplated spending more but figured at £2000 i still had budget to spare to fix things ...
If the bike fits ride it. That's more important than whether it's ultegra or centaur.Some might argue that ultegra 10 is better,but it's alot of mental masturbation and and isn't like it's gong to get you on the podium or not.

I'm a Campy person, but mostly because of ergonomics. You aren't going to get any opinions on this that hold water beyond personal preference. The truth is that they both perform very well. So stop worrying and enjoy your new ride. :)

I have and love Centaur. I have ridden and loved Ultegra.

Both do the job.
Both are very good quality components
There is always a "grass is greener" feeling.

Get over it and enjoy your very well equipped bike.

Both shift, I think that's the purpose right? Diabloscott, who TF is that in your avatar/side-bar picture thingy?

RC2 said:
Both shift, I think that's the purpose right? Diabloscott, who TF is that in your avatar/side-bar picture thingy?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Claudia Schiffer.

nitrous said:
I have and love Centaur. I have ridden and loved Ultegra.

Both do the job.
Both are very good quality components
There is always a "grass is greener" feeling.

Get over it and enjoy your very well equipped bike.

yup chances are if it really does continue to bug me I can just up the ratio of New to Old bike useage and just upgrade the components later.. the fit issue means for a start using the new bike with Everyday & Good wheelsets would be better for me all round. I'm curious to know if longer cranks would suit me etc. It's no disaster ..

nitrous said:
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Claudia Schiffer.

DING DING DING! Claudia Schiffer she is!
When I signed up for Cycling Forums years (?!?!) ago, there was a screen to select an avatar and there was a bunch of samples to choose from and Claudia's caught my eye. I had recently returned from a trip to Denmark and had seen her posters all over the place in lingerie ads (train stations, billboards, places like that) so that probably had something to do with it. My dream is that someday she'll log on to CF.com and see my avatar and invite me over for a bike ride through Bavaria.

The bike turned up today. All 'post purchase remorse' has evaporated. Yet to put its through its paces but it fits well ( even without the minor stem/bar tweaks I was expecting to have to make) and looks nice.

I think the campag groupset is about 200g heavier (?) than my first choice of ultegra-10.. I can live with that for the neater cabling. The shifting seems fine, no problem adapting.