Centaur vs Veloce

David M

Guest
Trying to save a bit of dough on relacing my pinched bike, and
considering Veloce over Centaur. Not using the hubs or headset, but
otherwise the Veloce seems to be much the same aside from the new
Centaur BB vs the old Veloce BB. Seems to be $300-400 difference...

Am I missing something, aside from a bit of coffeee-shop cred?

Cheers
David M

Probably not, the centaur would be lighter and would have many if not
all Chorus parts from years past. Likewise the Veloce would have many
Centaur bits, so I'd go Veloce.

Probably not, the centaur would be lighter and would have many if not
all Chorus parts from years past. Likewise the Veloce would have many
Centaur bits, so I'd go Veloce.
im not sold on centaur. I bought it last April and both levers have cr@pped themselves in that time.....

Tis hard to say, but maybe shimano is a better buy??

i say this cause replacing campag parts is damn expensive....

David M said:
Trying to save a bit of dough on relacing my pinched bike, and
considering Veloce over Centaur. Not using the hubs or headset, but
otherwise the Veloce seems to be much the same aside from the new
Centaur BB vs the old Veloce BB. Seems to be $300-400 difference...

Am I missing something, aside from a bit of coffeee-shop cred?

Cheers
David M

Its all swings and roundabouts in grouppo wars, IMHO

the 'only' variable realistically (more so in campy camp due to near identical designs used thru-out range) is weight and materials.

If you are concerned over specific parts maybe up a level in specific parts
but realisitically the difference between these 2 (and other adjoined levels) is almost invisible. Probably only till you hit Chorus or DuraAce you notice a jump in quality/ride

hmmm...shame about your brifters cr@pping. Mine seemed quite solid. For
me the choice is Campy or Sora - I really can't learn to love the
double-lever action of the other shimano brifters, despite having
ridden with them for some time (12 months or so).

For me the major PITA is the cassette thing. I've a number of Shimano
freehub wheels, and although I could convert them I guess, the campy
compatible wheels seem much more limited in general availability. I've
been using an American Classic 10s conversion cassette and it's been
great. Just need to find somewhere to buy one in Oz...

Cheers
Davis M

David M said:
hmmm...shame about your brifters cr@pping. Mine seemed quite solid. For
me the choice is Campy or Sora - I really can't learn to love the
double-lever action of the other shimano brifters, despite having
ridden with them for some time (12 months or so).

For me the major PITA is the cassette thing. I've a number of Shimano
freehub wheels, and although I could convert them I guess, the campy
compatible wheels seem much more limited in general availability. I've
been using an American Classic 10s conversion cassette and it's been
great. Just need to find somewhere to buy one in Oz...

Cheers
Davis M

this what you mean?
what about miche cassettes/bits??

Miche? I must look into. Do you have a URL? Is there a local supplier?

Cheers
David M

byron27 wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>
>>Probably not, the centaur would be lighter and would have many if not
>>all Chorus parts from years past. Likewise the Veloce would have many
>>Centaur bits, so I'd go Veloce.

> im not sold on centaur. I bought it last April and both levers have
> cr@pped themselves in that time.....
>
> Tis hard to say, but maybe shimano is a better buy??
>
> i say this cause replacing campag parts is damn expensive....

but you CAN get the parts

byron27 wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>
>>Probably not, the centaur would be lighter and would have many if not
>>all Chorus parts from years past. Likewise the Veloce would have many
>>Centaur bits, so I'd go Veloce.

> im not sold on centaur. I bought it last April and both levers have
> cr@pped themselves in that time.....
>
> Tis hard to say, but maybe shimano is a better buy??
>
> i say this cause replacing campag parts is damn expensive....

Centaur has been flawless for me. And Daytona before that.

I think Veloce would be fine too. The Centaur chainrings are better
though. Centaur would probably save a few hundred grams.

--
Nick

flyingdutch said:
http://tinyurl.com/bo57n (hillbrick)
At the pricey end there's also the Mavic M10 ( for Shimano and Mavic) and a Campy version too, plus the really super light "Token" one piece laser cut cassettes, these are great racing sprocket sets and a fraction of the weight of all the others even the bling bling ones....most bike shops ( who can still get credit from their wholesalers) can get them, they are about $120-150 range though...and

if you really want some candy try a Marchesio sprocket set with their central key rings and interchangeable sprockets you can make up a 8, 9 or 10 speed set and a very keen price too, and much cheaper to replace just one sprocket or spacer than having to get a whole cassette.

http://anysystem.de/