Centric safe haven child seat

Tom Dixon

Guest
Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am reluctant
to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing hype. Preferably
I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode Gear seats.

Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm

Many thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before.

Tom Dixon

[email protected] schreef ...
> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
> Gear seats.
>
> Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm

My goodness what an enormous contraption. Thousands of Dutch children are being cycled around safely
& comfortably in the much smaller Bobike Mini(www.bobike.com). These are available through Bobob UK
(Dupaal International) +44-(0)1538388702

--
Regards, Marten

TD> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
TD> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
TD> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
TD> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
TD> Gear seats.

TD> Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm

TD> Many thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before.

I haven't used that seat specifically. I have used cross-bar mounted seats and they're very good -
you can talk to your kid easily and the extra weight is near the centre of gravity so it affects the
handling of your bike less than a rear mounted seat. Although for long journeys and/or inclement
weather I have a trailer with me as well.

I'd be wary of purchasing that one specifically because I suspect the back-rest bit of the seat
might get in your way. It could be ok depending on you bike and riding position, but personally I'd
try it out before committing to the purchase if you can.

The one I have (on two bikes) is a much more basic affair consisting of a small "bum shaped" seat
that fixes to the cross-bar, with seperate foot rests that fix to the down-tube below. I fix extra
handle-bar grips near the middle of my handlbars for my kids to hold on to.

--
.. he dominates the DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.

"Marten Hoffmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] schreef ...
> > Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
> > around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
> > reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
> > hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
> > Gear seats.
> >
> > Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm
>
> My goodness what an enormous contraption. Thousands of Dutch children are being cycled around
> safely & comfortably in the much smaller Bobike Mini(www.bobike.com). These are available through
> Bobob UK (Dupaal International) +44-(0)1538388702

Yes I used a Bobike (bought in Holland for about £25) when my son was between around 1 and 2. Great
little seat - light and easy to use. Looking back though I do think the position looks quite
dangerous (think of an over the handlebar crash) but I would say for light leisure riding they are
ideal. The child will love sitting there too.

Tom Dixon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
> Gear seats.

A number of suppliers of front-mounted and cross-bar mounted seats have withdrawn them, as they
aren't considered safe. The rear-mounted is safer, especially if it has a high back and sides
(although arms can still get injured in a fall). We survived four incidents: 2 x ice, 1 x car
attack, 1 x SPD-newbie syndome with the Kettler seat. But the trailer is a much better option, and I
wouldn't advise anyone to use a child seat.

In message <[email protected]>, Rory <[email protected]> writes
>Tom Dixon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
>> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
>> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
>> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
>> Gear seats.
>
>A number of suppliers of front-mounted and cross-bar mounted seats have withdrawn them, as they
>aren't considered safe. The rear-mounted is safer, especially if it has a high back and sides
>(although arms can still get injured in a fall). We survived four incidents: 2 x ice, 1 x car
>attack, 1 x SPD-newbie syndome with the Kettler seat. But the trailer is a much better option, and
>I wouldn't advise anyone to use a child seat.

There was review of this in Velo -Vision mag, and IIRC the CTC rag as well.

I can't remember the details about it but one key thing I remember is that it forces the knees out
when you pedal, which would be at the very least a bit uncomfortable.

I guess that it would be ok for short rides, and I can see the attraction of the child being up
there in front.

But for overall regular transport I do prefer the trailer. I certainly wouldn't want to stick Elinor
out there in front bringing her home from nursery on a cold winters evening
--
Chris French, Leeds

On 11 Feb 2003 06:32:21 -0800, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

>But the trailer is a much better option, and I wouldn't advise anyone to use a child seat.
Phooey. Rear mounted seats are great. Close enough to talk, cheap, easy to use, and gives the
passenger a great vantage point from which to wave at passers-by. Regards,

John

Tom Dixon wrote:
> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
> Gear seats.
>
> Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm
>
> Many thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before.
>
> Tom Dixon

Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I am now leaning towards the idea of a rear mounted seat as
it seems to be a well proven system.

Tom

In message <[email protected]>, "Stephen (aka steford)"
<[email protected]> writes

>Yes I used a Bobike (bought in Holland for about £25) when my son was between around 1 and 2. Great
>little seat - light and easy to use. Looking back though I do think the position looks quite
>dangerous (think of an over the handlebar crash) but I would say for light leisure riding they are
>ideal. The child will love sitting there too.

My son travelled hundreds of miles on a crossbar seat (home made, with footrests and a second set of
bars for him), including one tour across Holland.

From experience, I know what happens in an over the bars crash (well, in one case at least) - you
go over the bars wrapped around the child, and the child gets off lightly. Jonathan had a bump on
his forehead and a graze under his nose, I had my head ripped open from front to back - whether him
wearing a helmet and me not made any difference I wouldn't like to say.

Whether the child would get a way as lightly in all such accidents, I don't know - I think the risk
of a major accident is fairly low. They do have one huge advantage over a rear mounted seat, you can
swing your leg across without kicking the child. Oh, and you can fart with impunity.

Graham
--
Graham Glen