Centric safe haven child seat

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tom Dixon, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Tom Dixon

    Tom Dixon Guest

    Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am reluctant
    to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing hype. Preferably
    I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode Gear seats.

    Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm

    Many thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before.

    Tom Dixon

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] schreef ...
    > Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    > around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
    > reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
    > hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
    > Gear seats.
    >
    > Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm

    My goodness what an enormous contraption. Thousands of Dutch children are being cycled around safely
    & comfortably in the much smaller Bobike Mini(www.bobike.com). These are available through Bobob UK
    (Dupaal International) +44-(0)1538388702

    --
    Regards, Marten

  3. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    TD> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    TD> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
    TD> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
    TD> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
    TD> Gear seats.

    TD> Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm

    TD> Many thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before.

    I haven't used that seat specifically. I have used cross-bar mounted seats and they're very good -
    you can talk to your kid easily and the extra weight is near the centre of gravity so it affects the
    handling of your bike less than a rear mounted seat. Although for long journeys and/or inclement
    weather I have a trailer with me as well.

    I'd be wary of purchasing that one specifically because I suspect the back-rest bit of the seat
    might get in your way. It could be ok depending on you bike and riding position, but personally I'd
    try it out before committing to the purchase if you can.

    The one I have (on two bikes) is a much more basic affair consisting of a small "bum shaped" seat
    that fixes to the cross-bar, with seperate foot rests that fix to the down-tube below. I fix extra
    handle-bar grips near the middle of my handlbars for my kids to hold on to.

    --
    .. he dominates the DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.

  4. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Marten Hoffmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] schreef ...
    > > Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    > > around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
    > > reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
    > > hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
    > > Gear seats.
    > >
    > > Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm
    >
    > My goodness what an enormous contraption. Thousands of Dutch children are being cycled around
    > safely & comfortably in the much smaller Bobike Mini(www.bobike.com). These are available through
    > Bobob UK (Dupaal International) +44-(0)1538388702

    Yes I used a Bobike (bought in Holland for about £25) when my son was between around 1 and 2. Great
    little seat - light and easy to use. Looking back though I do think the position looks quite
    dangerous (think of an over the handlebar crash) but I would say for light leisure riding they are
    ideal. The child will love sitting there too.

  5. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Tom Dixon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    > around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
    > reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
    > hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
    > Gear seats.

    A number of suppliers of front-mounted and cross-bar mounted seats have withdrawn them, as they
    aren't considered safe. The rear-mounted is safer, especially if it has a high back and sides
    (although arms can still get injured in a fall). We survived four incidents: 2 x ice, 1 x car
    attack, 1 x SPD-newbie syndome with the Kettler seat. But the trailer is a much better option, and I
    wouldn't advise anyone to use a child seat.

  6. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Rory <[email protected]> writes
    >Tom Dixon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    >> around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
    >> reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
    >> hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
    >> Gear seats.
    >
    >A number of suppliers of front-mounted and cross-bar mounted seats have withdrawn them, as they
    >aren't considered safe. The rear-mounted is safer, especially if it has a high back and sides
    >(although arms can still get injured in a fall). We survived four incidents: 2 x ice, 1 x car
    >attack, 1 x SPD-newbie syndome with the Kettler seat. But the trailer is a much better option, and
    >I wouldn't advise anyone to use a child seat.

    There was review of this in Velo -Vision mag, and IIRC the CTC rag as well.

    I can't remember the details about it but one key thing I remember is that it forces the knees out
    when you pedal, which would be at the very least a bit uncomfortable.

    I guess that it would be ok for short rides, and I can see the attraction of the child being up
    there in front.

    But for overall regular transport I do prefer the trailer. I certainly wouldn't want to stick Elinor
    out there in front bringing her home from nursery on a cold winters evening
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  7. John

    John Guest

    On 11 Feb 2003 06:32:21 -0800, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

    >But the trailer is a much better option, and I wouldn't advise anyone to use a child seat.
    Phooey. Rear mounted seats are great. Close enough to talk, cheap, easy to use, and gives the
    passenger a great vantage point from which to wave at passers-by. Regards,

    John

  8. Tom Dixon

    Tom Dixon Guest

    Tom Dixon wrote:
    > Hi Folks I am interested to know if anyone has used this child seat to carry their small child
    > around on their bike. I like the idea of the child being in front of the cyclist, but I am
    > reluctant to go out and buy one without hearing some positive feedback that is not marketing
    > hype. Preferably I would like to know how people think it compares to something like the Rhode
    > Gear seats.
    >
    > Thee seat can be seen here: http://www.phatbritain.com/centric.htm
    >
    > Many thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before.
    >
    > Tom Dixon

    Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I am now leaning towards the idea of a rear mounted seat as
    it seems to be a well proven system.

    Tom

  9. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, "Stephen (aka steford)"
    <[email protected]> writes

    >Yes I used a Bobike (bought in Holland for about £25) when my son was between around 1 and 2. Great
    >little seat - light and easy to use. Looking back though I do think the position looks quite
    >dangerous (think of an over the handlebar crash) but I would say for light leisure riding they are
    >ideal. The child will love sitting there too.

    My son travelled hundreds of miles on a crossbar seat (home made, with footrests and a second set of
    bars for him), including one tour across Holland.

    From experience, I know what happens in an over the bars crash (well, in one case at least) - you
    go over the bars wrapped around the child, and the child gets off lightly. Jonathan had a bump on
    his forehead and a graze under his nose, I had my head ripped open from front to back - whether him
    wearing a helmet and me not made any difference I wouldn't like to say.

    Whether the child would get a way as lightly in all such accidents, I don't know - I think the risk
    of a major accident is fairly low. They do have one huge advantage over a rear mounted seat, you can
    swing your leg across without kicking the child. Oh, and you can fart with impunity.

    Graham
    --
    Graham Glen