Centuries in the Mid-Atlantic area

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Vidcamel2, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Vidcamel2

    Vidcamel2 Guest

    Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. >Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    >Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area?

    http://www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org/

    Try my club in Delaware for starters. There are links to other groups in the Mid-Atlantic area.

  3. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    [email protected] (VidCamel2) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    > Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area? Thanks.

    www.suburbancyclists.org, out of suburban Philadelphia. The assistant webmaster of the club (SCU)
    publishes a comprehensive list of rides all along the Mid-Atlantic region; SCU does some greta
    rides--the Quad County metric and the Lake Nockamixon Century. Central Bucks Bike Club also does a
    couple of great centuries, particularly the Covered Bridges ride in October. --Roy Zipris

  4. Check out the Seagull Century in October. One of the best century's around.
    http://www.seagullcentury.org/ Check website in May. Limited to 6000 riders.

    "VidCamel2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    > Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area? Thanks.

  5. In message <[email protected]>, VidCamel2 <[email protected]> writes
    >Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    >Mid-Atlantic

    It would be rather wet in the mid-Atlantic unless on an island. I suppose the Azores must be close
    to the middle, otherwise what about St. Helena or Ascension Island? I think Madeira and the Canaries
    are too close to Africa to count as mid-Atlantic.

    Don't know if any of these organise centuries.

    :)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  6. jim

    jim Guest

    > Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    > Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area?

    See http://ohbike.org/events for century and metric rides in Maryland.

  7. Ftr12354

    Ftr12354 Guest

    Philadelphia bicycle club has a website and is very active with centuries. Also, Whiteclay bike club
    in Wilmington is active and has a good website. Brandywine Bike Club in SE PA also a website, but
    rides generally cater to slower riders.

  8. Roger Dennis

    Roger Dennis Guest

    i agree with the seagull and philly bike club recommendations, another flat but pretty century is
    the south jersey wheelman ride from parvin state park in mid september, a good warm up for the city
    to shore ms 150 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    > > Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area?
    >
    > See http://ohbike.org/events for century and metric rides in Maryland.

  9. Jack19446

    Jack19446 Guest

    See the SCU calendar <http://www.suburbancyclists.org/calendar.htm> for a list of 120 events in DE,
    MD, NJ, NY, and PA.

    The SCU Quad County Metric will take place on May 4 in Green Lane PA. See
    <http://www.suburbancyclists.org/quadcounty.asp> Start from Green Lane Park, Deep Creek and Snyder
    Roads, Green Lane, PA; 20, 38, 50, or 65 miles. A scenic ride on rolling terrain with a few hills.
    The 20-mile route avoids the longest climb and is suitable for casual riders, while the 50-mile
    option provides extra hills for a vigorous early-season workout. Pre-registration: $15 (SCU
    members), $20 (non-members). $25 day of event. Includes marked route, cue sheet, SAG support, and a
    post-ride meal. Rest stops have a large assortment of home-baked snacks. Suburban Cyclists
    Unlimited, P.O. Box 401, Horsham, PA 19044; phone 215-362-2216.

    [email protected] (roger dennis) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > i agree with the seagull and philly bike club recommendations, another flat but pretty century is
    > the south jersey wheelman ride from parvin state park in mid september, a good warm up for the
    > city to shore ms 150 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Is anyone aware of a website that might list organized rides, especially centuries, in the
    > > > Mid-Atlantic or Washington, DC area?
    > >
    > > See http://ohbike.org/events for century and metric rides in Maryland.

  10. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    The Taxing Metric (26-April, put on by Brandywine Bike Club) is very hilly, including a 10%+ climb
    out of the parking lot on the first 50 km loop. I wouldn't call that a route catering to slower
    riders. Perhaps because racers average less that 20 mph on the ride?

    directions: Warwick County Park, off rt 23, 3.5 miles west of rt 100.

    One thing they do is list their weekly ride speeds including stop time, so the average speeds look
    very low. That is a strange way to list ride speeds and there is discussion as to a different rating
    system. My suggestion was to just use letters, A to D.

    -Bruce