Century, Brevet, and Long Distance Touring Saddle - Suggestions?

Per Steve Sr.:
>I am begining to get this same impression about saddles like a Brooks
>B-17 which are considerably wider than other saddles.

Think "usable width".

A B-17 is 170 mm wide. 100% of a B-17's width is usable.

A WDB Speed-V is also 170 mm wide. Look underneath it and you'll see that it's
usable width is much less.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sun, 14 May 2006 22:00:31 -0400, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I know that his has been discussed before but there doesn't seem to be
>a clear consensus. I guess that everybody's butt is different! It is
>also hard to sort out saddle models that are still available from
>those that aren't.
>
>I am interested in doing long distance riding and need a saddle to be
>comfortable and stable for long periods of time in hot, sticky, sweaty
>weather. I also tend to ride in a more upright position due to lack of
>flexibility which causes more weight to be put on my posterior. The
>bar height and saddle height are about the same. I also weigh about
>155 lbs. so don't fall into the clydesdale category
>
>I currently am riding a Leper Voyager leather saddle that until
>recently was the most comfortable I've ridden to date. However lately
>it is showing its age and unfortunately its ability to stretch and
>change shape due to perspiration has lowered its usefullness as a long
>distance saddle. For this reason I would like to look at other
>alternatives than leather even though the Brooks crowd may be
>disappointed.
>
>I don't really think I need or want much padding as this would likely
>be the thing to fail first leaving my sit bones on top of an
>unforgiving hard plastic shell. Despite what Dustin Hoffman said in
>the movie, plastics aren't forever. As many have mentioned too much
>padding also puts pressure where it shouldn't be.
>
>However, I do want and need something to isolate my back side from the
>bumps of the cheap tar and gravel secondary roads that I spend a lot
>of time riding on. For this the shell or the base of the saddle has to
>flex. After reading the archives where someone mentioned liking WTB
>saddles, I saw at some of these saddles at the local REI store this
>afternoon. Much to my surprise some of the more expensive ones
>actually had a flexible shell which may explain why the poster liked
>them.
>
>After a century ride this Saturday I asked to to ride a buddy's
>Specialized Toupe around the parking lot. Even with my somewhat sore
>back side it seemed pretty good. It doesn't have much padding but
>appears to have enough flex to absorb some of the bumps.
>Unfortunately, at $150 the price is kind of steep. Do any of you have
>experience with this particular saddle or any of the other entrants in
>the Specialized line?
>
>I am planning on stopping by the bike shop on the way home from work
>tomorrow to try out the Specialized ass-o-meter so maybe I can help at
>least with the saddle width parameter which may provide or remove
>alternatives.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Here is a follow up to last week's post. Thanks for everyone's
suggestions so far.

I went my LBS Wednesday and used their ass-o-meter measuring device
and determined that the distance between my sit bones was about 95mm
which I guess is about right for male.

Based on suggestions and Terry's 30 return policy I decided to try a
standard Fly saddle. I rode it about 25 miles at lunch on Thursday and
got it close to dialed in for position. It still seemed to put too
much pressure on the area between my sit bones although there wasn't
any numbness.

Today I went out and rode a hilly metric. I made a few more minor
tweaks (mostly saddle height) to the position during the route. Toward
the end of the ride it started to get a little uncomfortable with the
same issue I noted during Thursday's ride. I tried several times to no
avail to adjust the saddle angle to improve the situation. I couldn't
tell that the cutout in the center of the saddle made any difference
at all.

I think that the Fly has too much padding for my back side. A friend
who also has a Fly and rides about 5-6K per year made a comment that
the Fly's only last about a year before becoming too uncomfortable for
him. I suspect that the padding eventually compresses around the sit
bones which increases the pressure on the area in between. Plus your
sit bones are now sitting almost directly on the unforgiving hard
plastic shell. Is this how a saddle dies if it doesn't fall apart
first?

On Friday I happened to be at the local performance store and looked
at saddles. There was one in particular that I wanted look at and that
was the E3 Form Gel saddle. You can read more details here:

http://www.performancebike.com/E3saddle.cfm

This saddle was the result of a masters thesis at one of the local
universities. The only reason that I knew of this saddle is that Josh
came and gave a presentation to our bike club about its design.

Performance happened to have these on sale for about $43 so I bought
one to try out. After the metric today I came home, mounted it, and
took it for a test ride around the neighborhood for a couple of miles.
My first impression was surprisingly favorable. No pressure between
the sit bones. I'll ride it at lunch Tuesday to see how it does over
25 miles.

Steve

280 grams? (Shimano UN-51)
240 grams? (Shimano UN-73, Campy Centaur)
200 grams? (Campy Chorus, phil steel)
180 grams? (Campy Record, phil titanium)

Where do stupid light bottom brackets begin? In other words, at what
weight level is the durability of a square-taper bottom bracket
seriously compromised ?? Is the titanium spindle the critical factor?
I have heard that Phil titanium bottom bracket spindles actually
aren't that strong, especially for people who mash the pedals and flex
the spindle.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> 280 grams? (Shimano UN-51)
> 240 grams? (Shimano UN-73, Campy Centaur)
> 200 grams? (Campy Chorus, phil steel)
> 180 grams? (Campy Record, phil titanium)
>
> Where do stupid light bottom brackets begin? In other words, at what
> weight level is the durability of a square-taper bottom bracket
> seriously compromised ?? Is the titanium spindle the critical factor?
> I have heard that Phil titanium bottom bracket spindles actually
> aren't that strong, especially for people who mash the pedals and flex
> the spindle.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

I think you have to look at materials and how that weight was acheived.
The Record BB, steel, with the thinner walled, oversized center, is
light but strong. I think titanium for a BB spindle, or pedal spindle
for that matter, is a bad thing to do...

My 2006 Centaur BB has instructions that caution riders over 180 lbs to
inspect their BB periodically. As you can see, Centaur isn't particularly
light. As to whether I'm qualified to do the inspection...?

-Dion

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 280 grams? (Shimano UN-51)
> 240 grams? (Shimano UN-73, Campy Centaur)
> 200 grams? (Campy Chorus, phil steel)
> 180 grams? (Campy Record, phil titanium)
>
> Where do stupid light bottom brackets begin? In other words, at what
> weight level is the durability of a square-taper bottom bracket
> seriously compromised ?? Is the titanium spindle the critical factor?
> I have heard that Phil titanium bottom bracket spindles actually
> aren't that strong, especially for people who mash the pedals and flex
> the spindle.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

On Sun, 21 May 2006 22:00:36 -0400, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
wrote:

> [...]

>first?
>
>On Friday I happened to be at the local performance store and looked
>at saddles. There was one in particular that I wanted look at and that
>was the E3 Form Gel saddle. You can read more details here:
>
>http://www.performancebike.com/E3saddle.cfm
>
>This saddle was the result of a masters thesis at one of the local
>universities. The only reason that I knew of this saddle is that Josh
>came and gave a presentation to our bike club about its design.
>
>Performance happened to have these on sale for about $43 so I bought
>one to try out. After the metric today I came home, mounted it, and
>took it for a test ride around the neighborhood for a couple of miles.
>My first impression was surprisingly favorable. No pressure between
>the sit bones. I'll ride it at lunch Tuesday to see how it does over

Here is another followup on the Performance E3 Saddle. I rode it twice
last week at lunch for an hour and a half each time. It felt pretty
good at first but at the end of the ride it started to get a little
uncomfortable. It does live up to its promise of not putting pressure
on the nerves and blood vessels.

Wanting to give the saddle a fair test for distance I rode it today on
a Metric. It started to become bothersome at about the 40 mile point.
By the end of the ride it was pretty painful. It actuall raised and
opened a blister on one of my sit bones. Ouch! I have never had a
saddle do that before.

The bottom line for me is that there is not enough padding under the
sit bones and the shell doesn't have enough flex to it to cushion
against rough roads.

Steve

Since everyone's anatomy and riding style are different, no one saddle
is "best" except on an individual basis.

I prefer the Brooks Team Pro (I have one on my favorite bike that I have
been riding since 1977-78) and have them on three bikes. I have the
Lepper Voyageur on two bikes and it is very nice but not quite the
saddle for 300 km rides. The B.17 is a little too wide for me. I rode
a WTB sst for several years, but that really didn't have enough flex in
the saddle to be comfortable for really long rides. I also tried the
Avocet Air O2 40M for a while but it just wasn't quite right for me.
Back in my racing days I rode a Flite for one year and that was enough
of that. I mostly rode on a Rolls Ti saddle on my race bikes and that
was pretty good.

The more upright you sit, the wider and flatter a saddle you will likely
need. It's not softness but saddle flex that makes for comfort. Your
personal dimensions (e.g., "sit" bone width) and your weight are an
issue.

If you did a survey you'd find that any dozen riders will have 15
opinions on saddles. ;-)