Century in the rain

AdamSean

Aug 11, 2011
Hey all, I am registered to ride a century on Saturday and the weather is calling for rain to move in around noon. We are starting at 7:30am so a good portion of the ride will be through by the time it starts to rain. This is my first century and I want to know what type of equipment i need to invest in tomorrow before the weekend? It will be around 76 degrees so a heavy rain jacket will be too hot. What should I be looking for to keep dry? I usually don't ride in the rain so I am lacking. What do you use in the warm weather rain?

Sometimes its worth it to get wet. A little rain may be a welcome relief towards the end of your ride. I would suggest that you use a little caution while riding in the rain seeing as it will be new to you.

That's what I was hoping. I think that as long as I have my chamois creme, I shouldn't chaif.

It's not going to be the rain that gets you - it's probably going to be the temperature drop and the fact that wet skin cools fast - combine both an it might seem fairly chilly. For long rides that have a chance of rain i take a very thin rain jacket. If there are any long hills that have long fast downhills you might want to consider some gloves too. Another trick is to grab some newspaper, piece of cardboard or unused trash bag from a rest stop stuffed up the front of your jersey to keep any chill wind off your chest.

Get a rear fender if you can. Either one of the backscratcher types or a Race blade. Helps keep the shammy dry even when the rest of you is wet. At the very least apply some packing or duct tape underneath if you have a cutout saddle.

The skin cooling is a biggie - extra calories help so make sure you got plenty of snacks. 75 is warm in the dry, but in the wet with the added windchill of being on the bike, prep like it's 60. Also 75 might be the high of the day which may not hit until late morning.

An Assos rain cap, or any type of rain cap. It's easier to hold onto body heat if that does become a factor.

Drop your tires 5-7psi. Will add some traction.

I also like to use my taillight when it's raining. If it's bright out doesn't really help, but when overcast and stormy it does help a bit more than nothing.

Eyewear helps if you're doing any paceline riding. Many big parks in NYC have horse riding. This is probably a non-issue for you but when I race in the rain I try to keep my mouth closed when we ride through the crossing areas
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

One of my favorite things is riding in warm rain. Hope you have a great ride.

I'd go with a vest, since they are easy to take off and keep in a jersey pocket. A rear fender or rack is great to keep the rain from being thrown off the rear tire and onto the middle of your jersey, where it tends to create a stripe as well as run right down into the butt crack.

Taillight is essential for all road riding IMO. I always ride with a Dinotte, 1W super-bright LED which can be seen from at least a 1/4 mile back in bright sunlight.

You can have a great century in the rain. Suggest you forget about setting any PRs, just take it easy on the descents and enjoy the day.