Century ride/touring Bike

red_cdale

Jan 10, 2005
I need some advice to decide what type of bike I should get. I will use it mostly for long ride, light trail, and fast commute. I own a CAAD 5 Cannondale but i can't stand riding 100+miles with this bike. My choice is to get either cyclocross or touring bike and it must be steel.

I've narrowed down to few bikes,
1. Soma Double Cross
2. Kona Jake The Snake
3. Cannondale T2000
4. Surly Cross Check

I'm totally into Soma Double Cross, but I'm still open to any suggestions......

I was pretty sure I wanted a steel bike too until I rode the Jake the Snake. I'm not really a long-range tourer, but for all out speed you can't beat it. I really like the handling too. I was looking at a Bianchi Volpe (steel) and a few of the other Aluminum cross bikes before I settled on the Snake. It has pretty good components (all 105) for the price. Oh yeah and I'm having it converted to a triple to handle the mountains here in CO. Stock it has really tight gearing that just isn't suitable for much besides racing.

red_cdale said:
I need some advice to decide what type of bike I should get. I will use it mostly for long ride, light trail, and fast commute. I own a CAAD 5 Cannondale but i can't stand riding 100+miles with this bike. My choice is to get either cyclocross or touring bike and it must be steel.

I've narrowed down to few bikes,
1. Soma Double Cross
2. Kona Jake The Snake
3. Cannondale T2000
4. Surly Cross Check

I'm totally into Soma Double Cross, but I'm still open to any suggestions......
Why must it be steel?
If so, you will need to toss the Cannondale T2000 (and T800), both of which are good rides.
If you like to have a rack and fenders, I would add Surly Long Haul Trucker to your list.
You need to ride your choices in applications you intend and see what works best for you.
Tires and fittings make a big difference to me. Gearing range can also help with the decision. You can always change things, but why not start with them the way you want/need at the beginning?

Check out the Co-Motion Nor'Wester. Steel, relaxed geometry, high-end componetry. Comfortable and tough enough to stand up to sustained riding. You can make it as much a road or a touring bike as you wish and there is a fabulous color selection. But pricey!

http://www.co-motion.com/norwester.html

red_cdale said:
QUOTE]
For long touring get a bike with some braze-on fittings to accomodate a rack. I have been riding an Ionic steel and a TiCarbon Dean on long rides like the BTC, Death Ride in CA, Seattle to Portland, and others. They are great light and comfortable for long distance rides.
This year I am getting my Dean all TI Compact frame fitted with brazons for a rack and VEE brakes. I want to be able to change wheels/tires and go from road to trail without any hassle. I am also working on a flat bar arrangement that can be fitted with aero bars (for 10spd campy bar end shifters) and CaneCreek Ergo barends. So far my experimentation has been yielding fantastic results and has reduced some of the pain of long distance riding with more and more comfortable positions. I am also using a triple which allows for easy riding the high mountain passes. Oh, and yes, the flat bars can be easily used out of the saddle with the Cane Creek bar ends for great leverage.
I have been an either/or Road/MTB rider and now I am adapting the best of both worlds for long distance riding.
If you really want to do long distance trail and road be open to experimentation to find exactly what you want. The options are limitless just don't think either/or.