Century training mileage ????

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
:confused:
I have a question. I've signed up for a century and am following the "easy century training-to ride 100 miles" found here....http://www.diablocyclists.com/Rider...ningProgram.htm

and in Bicycling magainze.

My question is, the longest you ever ride in this plan is 65 miles during week 8 and week 9, then week 10 you jump to 100 miles. I'm currently in week 2 and everything is going fine, but just wondered...isn't that a big jump at the end? Thanks for any advice/support.

8 weeks and counting!!!! :D

gigemaggs99 said:
I have a question. I've signed up for a century and am following the "easy century training-to ride 100 miles" found here....http://www.diablocyclists.com/Rider...ningProgram.htm

My question is, the longest you ever ride in this plan is 65 miles during week 8 and week 9, then week 10 you jump to 100 miles. I'm currently in week 2 and everything is going fine, but just wondered...isn't that a big jump at the end? Thanks for any advice/support.

Come'on, leave something for the event! Weather training program contained e.g. couple of 99 miles, you would be quite confident that you can make 100 as well... But in cycling, not so much changes between 4 and 6 hours, you can learn the pace you can keep and things like eating and drinking while riding already by 2-3 hour rides, no need to wait until 4-5 hours spent on bike.

I did my first century last summer and my longest ride up to that point was 70ish miles. There is a big difference in riding thoses distances solo than riding in a pack of 30-40-50 or more people. You'll be fine.

EDIT: My "plan" was closer to the "strength to spare" mileage....

L

ok, if you pick up the latest issue of city sports magazine (it is free and you could find it at jamba juice) you wil see an article called the oprak century training plan. everything you need is in there. to summarize, if you are a begginer, start at 20 miles and add 10 to 15 miles each week. throw in lots of hills and sprints. train until you get to 75 or 80 miles and leave the last 100 for surprise and mystery during your century. there is a general 3/4 rule, if you train for 3/4 of the distance you want to go, you should generally be able to tough out the last 1/4. if you want, you can train to 85 or 90. thats what im doin. the article also has some info about nutrition during the century and is written by the author of some century training book or something.

I more or less followed that training plan last year and had little trouble making the jump for the extra 35 miles at the end. Biggest training issue was really crossing 50 miles and getting the eating/drinking routine down, especially in July.

gigemaggs99 said:

is that article on line as well?

cmacblue42 said:
ok, if you pick up the latest issue of city sports magazine (it is free and you could find it at jamba juice) you wil see an article called the oprak century training plan. everything you need is in there. to summarize, if you are a begginer, start at 20 miles and add 10 to 15 miles each week. throw in lots of hills and sprints. train until you get to 75 or 80 miles and leave the last 100 for surprise and mystery during your century. there is a general 3/4 rule, if you train for 3/4 of the distance you want to go, you should generally be able to tough out the last 1/4. if you want, you can train to 85 or 90. thats what im doin. the article also has some info about nutrition during the century and is written by the author of some century training book or something.

Don't worry, you'll be just fine...

In my opinion, you really need to pay attention to any discomforts immediately while training on your longer rides, for instance, if your feet hurt after 50 miles they'll be killing you after 80 or 90, if your hands go numb at 50 they'll be completely dead at 70...you get the picture. So do whatever you can to make yourself comfy and if you plan on buying new shorts, shoes or gloves for the event don't wait untill the big event to try them out...there's no going back once you're on the road.

My last Century went really well except for the fact that I was used to riding in 60-70*F Temps, the Day of the Century turned out to be 90*, so you can't anticipate everything....the soles of my feet started to BBQ from the combination of the heat rising from the road and black shoes...

Simply find a pack that is riding at your pace, stick with them and have fun...remember they'll all probably be suffering as much as you are at times...eat and drink plenty so you don't bonk....

I always get so sick of Accelerade, Energy Bars and Gels by the end of the ride...:( but they really help, eating and drinking enough is vital...

Good luck and have fun!!