Century Training with Type 1 Diabetes

I have just read this thread with interest to say the least!!!!!!! Adam' I totally understand your frustrations, I went through the same search for information some time ago, and one thing I learnt was that the more you look, the more you become frustrated. It appears you have the basic knowledge, and yes the doctors know SFA, you are your own science experiment. You have not died, or gone into a coma from what you have reported and my advice is to keep experimenting, push the boundaries, you will work it out. As an example of the variables I will outline my recent experience. I returned to Australia 2 days ago from a 3 week holiday to Mexico, the temperature was approx 37 to 40 deg Celsius every day, and humidity 70 to 80 %, bloody hot. I did not ride on the road, but trained on a spinning bike every day for between 60 and 90 minutes with the air conditioning off in a gym, as well as spinning classes. The blood sugar variations were extraordinary to say the least, some days the bloods stayed constant, other days they dived, it was great fun tracking the results in a controlled environment. One key point was 'hydration', most importantly prior to the session. I drank roughly 2 liters of water every ride, and the bloods only dived if I had not hydrated well before the session. I learnt a lot with constant training in the heat, something we don't get down here. Overall my bloods were great for the trip, and I have concluded that bloods generally run lower in hot, humid conditions, something the doctors, blogs, and articles never told me! So, I learnt something, once again from my own private science experiment, and hope you get something from my words. Keep punching, get on with it, ' and just do it' ! Stewart.

Just want to say thanks for the information about cycling with diabetes. I am Type 1 but no where near fit enough to do this kind of distance, but I am struggling at the moment to get any distance done, due to lack of energy and power and lung capacity when hills come into the equation. I am over weight, and not long been cycling, but I am determined to lose the weight and keep at it.

Any help on nutrition would be appreciated.

Ploddingalong, you remind me of myself 5 years ago when I started to ride and I was not a diabetic. The first time I rode I bike I wanted to throw it away, and could not comprehend how anyone could ride more than 20 km, I seriously thought this sport was for mad men, and women! Having said that, the day of my first ride was the day I developed an addiction. It's about time, application, and patience, irrespective of weight, age, and diabetes. I am 45 years old and 3 years ago started to ride with a small group of guys all in there 50's and 60's who I totally envied for there fitness and ability. They predominantly rode on the Mornington Peninsula, which is a small area of Victoria, and mainly hills. I could not fathom how they rode the hills, and there overall fitness.that was 3 years ago, since then I developed type 1 , totally committed myself to exercise, and started to train on my own, and in my own space. It's about consistency and application. I now usually lead the group I ride with, and pull from the front most of the time. My only advice regarding information as noted before is that you get the basic guidelines in order, don't overly concern yourself especially when riding in a controlled environment, there is usually a shop or service station nearby to refuel, and just work on your own science experiment. One tip is keep testing, remember how you feel at each testing point, what the reading is, and try to create memory for that feeling . Stewart.

I never reported my second century results. I rode 2 hours faster than my first. Yep, 2 hours faster! I have discovered that I must reduce my basal insulin by almost 30%. I also have to take in between 30 and 40 gram of carbohydrates per hour to maintain a good glucose level. It stayed about 150 the whole ride. Just remember to hydrate. I was drinking a bottle of water and a bottle of powerade each hour. I would also alternate between a bottle of Skratch Labs mix and a packet of GU Roctane gel once an hour.

My first century, I carried way too much gel packs and drink mix then I needed. But that is ok. I was prepared. Now I know exactly what I need for an event. I will generally take an extra gel pack and an extra drink mix just in case. I am getting more familiar with how my body reacts to the efforts. From here on out, I do more than just ride. I race!

I never said they were bad. My problem was finding the information that would help me balance my insulin intake and glucose levels so I didn't bottom out or go too high. It took months of lows in the 40s and highs in the 500s. You may say its not hard, but I could have died either low or high. My father died to not controlling his blood sugars. I have spent days in the ICU with a blood sugar over 2000!!! Its not a good feeling when your blood sugar goes above 200. I now have a good idea of how the body acts during long distance cycling to help others through this.

Without the right information, many things can be deadly for us diabetics. My next century makes these last 2 look like a ride in the park while whistling Dixie...lol. Its the Cheaha Challenge in Birmingham, AL. My goal for that one is under 5 hours.Then I will be working in a couple of Time Trials and Criteriums to start building up some points.

AdamSean said:
I never said they were bad. My problem was finding the information that would help me balance my insulin intake and glucose levels so I didn't bottom out or go too high. It took months of lows in the 40s and highs in the 500s. You may say its not hard, but I could have died either low or high. My father died to not controlling his blood sugars. I have spent days in the ICU with a blood sugar over 2000!!! Its not a good feeling when your blood sugar goes above 200. I now have a good idea of how the body acts during long distance cycling to help others through this.  Without the right information, many things can be deadly for us diabetics. My next century makes these last 2 look like a ride in the park while whistling Dixie...lol. Its the Cheaha Challenge in Birmingham, AL. My goal for that one is under 5 hours.Then I will be working in a couple of Time Trials and Criteriums to start building up some points.
Jesus, dude. You need to relax. I never said that you said centuries were bad, did I? My statement was a euphemistic "congrats". I'm glad when I did centuries as an insulin dependent diabetic I wasn't as filled with fear like you. Instead, I understood that I was just pedaling a long distance, not stepping onto a fragile precipice over a yawning, deadly void.