CEOs say how you treat a waiter can predict a lot about character

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
> human being.
>
> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e
>
> Pastorio

Great article. I think the principle extends to other areas,
too. Usenet even. Meeting people that I've known on usenet
confirmed this. If they're mean and self-centered on usenet,
they're that way in person, too. If not overtly than in a
latent, just below the surface way.

I also like the "Unwritten Rules" in the left column. Check
it out. Much wisdom there.

My favorite is #21, "Don't get excited in engineering emergencies".
Excellent career advice.

--
Reg

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote

> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
> human being.
>
> Hard to tell which defines the other.

Hey, I made that observation here years ago. On a date?
Watch how the other person treats the waiter.

nancy

I think the usenet reference was accurate. I used to work in insurance
on a phone line for senior citizens. One overtly obnoxious jerk
screamed at me that 'I thought he was an asshole because he was 65'.
My comment back to him, although it was not PC, I felt was accurate,
was that 'No sir, I don't think that because you are 65, chances are
very good that you were one at 45 as well.'
-Ginny

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
> human being.
>
> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e

I am someone who requires extra attention. I go through salsa, water,
iced tea rather quickly, and I really appreciate wait staff being on
top of not letting me go without unless they are obviously really busy.
I got good service at lunch and tipped $6 on a $22.xx check. I am
always exceedingly polite and warm to the servers too. Thanking them
often, and with a sincere smile.
If it weren't for the fact that I ran out of salsa twice, it would have
been $7. They had a lot of customers. On occasions where it's dead,
and they have more time to provide better service, I make sure to tip
35-40% or more. I am applying the Golden Rule in a way. I treat them
the way that I feel would be fair and just of the roles were reversed.
I feel that I would deserve to be tipped commensurate with the degree
and quality of service I provided. I want the business relationship to
be one of mutual respect. Lord knows most economic relationships in
the USA don't follow that regime.
A few of the servers at that particular restaurant are onto the fact
that when I get perfect service, I tip accordingly, and that's
something that's appealing to them. Pretty much all the Mexican
immigrant waiters try to do things that way (and I'm pretty damned sure
all of them are documented as I know the owner's reputation) because
they have yet to sour on the American dream, something that many
native-born Americans no longer have because they see their economic
relations with the society as downwardly mobile, whereas recent legal
immigrants from south of the border perceive their status as upwardly
mobile.
I often joke that I can't have a conversation that doesn't soon evolve
into one about food. Here, my post has gone toward another passion,
political economy.

> Pastorio

--Bryan

Reg wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
>> human being.
>>
>> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e
>>
>> Pastorio

> Great article. I think the principle extends to other areas,
> too. Usenet even. Meeting people that I've known on usenet
> confirmed this. If they're mean and self-centered on usenet,
> they're that way in person, too. If not overtly than in a
> latent, just below the surface way.
>
> I also like the "Unwritten Rules" in the left column. Check
> it out. Much wisdom there.
>
> My favorite is #21, "Don't get excited in engineering emergencies".
> Excellent career advice.

My favourte is #11 "Confirm instructions you give others, and their
commitments, in writing." I learned that as an articled clek - you write
them a letter saying "I confirm our conversation of even date in which
you agreeed to such and such," and unless they write back disputing it,
you've got them. Emails have made implementing this rule so easy that
their is no excuse for overlooking it.

Christine

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:38:22 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
>> human being.
>>
>> Hard to tell which defines the other.

>Hey, I made that observation here years ago. On a date?
>Watch how the other person treats the waiter.

Yep. I refuse to go out with people who are rude to waitstaff, or
anyone else they perceive to be "beneath" them. You can really tell
people's character by how they treat people they don't *have* to be
nice to.

serene

"Old Mother Ashby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I learned that as an articled clek - you write them a letter saying "I
> confirm our conversation of even date in which you agreeed to such and
> such," and unless they write back disputing it, you've got them.

If you have to "get them", they should not be working for you.

If you're crappy to anyone who hasn't earned your enmity, that's the
definition of a crappy human being.

But that bus runs both ways on this street. If the waiter is an
asshole, there's no reason not to return the favor.

Frankly, that entire article is insulting to the general public. CEOs
are some of the biggest scumbags on earth, and to pretend they deserve
the privilege of acting with nobless oblige is to kiss the asses of a
collection of self-assumed aristocrats.

--Blair

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> My favourte is #11 "Confirm instructions you give others, and their
> commitments, in writing." I learned that as an articled clek - you
> write them a letter saying "I confirm our conversation of even date
> in which you agreeed to such and such," and unless they write back
> disputing it, you've got them. Emails have made implementing this
> rule so easy that their is no excuse for overlooking it.

In old days, our informal (handwritten) memo forms were labeled AVO.
That stood for Avoid Verbal Orders. Now everybody just uses email.

Brian
won't shut up.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>"Old Mother Ashby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>> I learned that as an articled clek - you write them a letter saying "I
>>confirm our conversation of even date in which you agreeed to such and
>>such," and unless they write back disputing it, you've got them.
>>

>If you have to "get them", they should not be working for you.

Sorry, wasn't talking about people working for me, I was talking about
the other party in a legal matter. Verbal agreements are worth the paper
they're written on, you know.

"Get it in writng" is actually the second rule you learn as a baby
lawyer. The first is "Get their names". Not easy these days, they're all
called Michelle or Rebecca and none of them have surnames.

Christine

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

>If you're crappy to anyone who hasn't earned your enmity, that's the
>definition of a crappy human being.
>
>But that bus runs both ways on this street. If the waiter is an
>asshole, there's no reason not to return the favor.
>
>Frankly, that entire article is insulting to the general public. CEOs
>are some of the biggest scumbags on earth, and to pretend they deserve
>the privilege of acting with nobless oblige is to kiss the asses of a
>collection of self-assumed aristocrats.
>
>--Blair

I nominate you to join Phred and Dave as official rfc Grumpy Old Men. ;-)

Christine

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> >Frankly, that entire article is insulting to the general public. CEOs
> >are some of the biggest scumbags on earth, and to pretend they deserve
> >the privilege of acting with nobless oblige is to kiss the asses of a
> >collection of self-assumed aristocrats.

> I nominate you to join Phred and Dave as official rfc Grumpy Old Men. ;-)

I accept, but only if when I go off you hear it in a Walter Matthau
bombastic-rant voice.

--Blair
"I always liked that guy."

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
> human being.
>
> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e
>
> Pastorio

"I saw a lot of character, or the lack thereof," says Holtzman, who says he
can still carry three dishes in his right hand and two in his left."

I can stack five dishes up my left arm and carry one in my right hand. I
can also carry four glasses of water or iced tea (three in my left hand, one
in my right) to a table. I also know the proper way to serve milk from a
small carton is to carry a glass of ice and an empty glass; pour the ice
into the empty glass and then pour the milk into the chilled glass. And I
can pour a beer with exactly 1" head of foam. So, do I get the job? ;)

Jill

"Food Snob" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
>> human being.
>>
>> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e

> I am someone who requires extra attention. I go through salsa, water,
> iced tea rather quickly, and I really appreciate wait staff being on
> top of not letting me go without unless they are obviously really busy.
> I got good service at lunch and tipped $6 on a $22.xx check. I am
> always exceedingly polite and warm to the servers too. Thanking them
> often, and with a sincere smile.
> If it weren't for the fact that I ran out of salsa twice, it would have
> been $7. They had a lot of customers. On occasions where it's dead,
> and they have more time to provide better service, I make sure to tip
> 35-40% or more.

<snipage for space>

Bryan, which restaurant it this? I have a couple of Mexican restaurants I
go to.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in news:4aad70Fs1vrdU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
> human being.
>
> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e
>
> Pastorio

Doing a google groups search on Pastorio can tell one alot about a ng
poster and if they are crappy.

What goes around comes around Bob.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
> human being.
>
> Hard to tell which defines the other.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e
>
> Pastorio

I find one quote from this article a little disturbing:
"When dinner was over, Rosemond felt compelled to apologize to the waiter on
the way out. "I said, 'Please forgive my friend for acting like that.' It's
embarrassing. They go into rages for simple mistakes like forgetting an
order."
Simple mistakes don't include forgetting an order. Simple mistakes might be
getting the wrong drink or not refilling a coffee fast enough. Forgetting
an order?! Hardly.

A server is supposed to write the order down. If the kitchen doesn't
deliver, it's one thing and the server should know it's not been done and
should apologize to the customer. It's totally different if the server is
so overwhelmed (taken in context with this article) to be serving a
celebrity as to completely forget their job, which is, to take the order and
make sure it's delivered. If it isn't, the customer certainly has the right
to get pissy about bad service.

Jill

On 14 Apr 2006 20:01:55 -0700, "Ginny Tadrzynski" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I think the usenet reference was accurate. I used to work in insurance
>on a phone line for senior citizens. One overtly obnoxious jerk
>screamed at me that 'I thought he was an asshole because he was 65'.
>My comment back to him, although it was not PC, I felt was accurate,
>was that 'No sir, I don't think that because you are 65, chances are
>very good that you were one at 45 as well.'

LOL! I wubs you!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:38:22 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
>> human being.
>>
>> Hard to tell which defines the other.

>Hey, I made that observation here years ago. On a date?
>Watch how the other person treats the waiter.

Not just waitstaff. Watch how the other person treats a shop clerk or
checker at the market. I was at Kinko's recently when some woman was
just laying out the clerk for an error on her order. He hadn't
processed the order, he was not a manager, he was a kid at the counter
who just fetched and wrote down orders. I butted in and asked her if
she thought her behavior was appropriate given that the kid had no
power to do anything that would *fix* her order. She just glared at me
and stormed out. Some peoples' children...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Charles Quinn wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>Works 100% of the time in my experience. Crappy to the server? Crappy
>>human being.
>>Hard to tell which defines the other.
>>http://tinyurl.com/o5c5e
>>Pastorio

> Doing a google groups search on Pastorio can tell one alot about a ng
> poster and if they are crappy.
> What goes around comes around Bob.

If you'd like to say what you really mean without just throwing hints,
perhaps we can discuss it. Maybe include the standards against which
you're measuring... whatever it is you're measuring.

It feels like you're condemning, but timidly. Say what it is that you're
not-quite asserting with content-filled, declarative sentences that are
really explanatory. I might even agree with you and offer you a nice
candy bar or something nutritious, who knows?

Pastorio