ceramic bearing for shimano Bottom Brackets...

doctorSpoc

Nov 18, 2005
is there such a thing.. do any of the FSA replacement bearing fit shimano dura ace external bearing bottom brackets?

Let me know if you find out. I wouldn't mind upgrading my 7800's to ceramic bearings.....

On a tangent here, but do the D-A 7800 crankset fit the FSA MegaExo BB? In particular the ceramic bearing BB one?

Be careful! Cereamic Bearings are not all what they are cracked up to be. In fact, I think you will regret swapping your steel for ceramic. :rolleyes:

doctorSpoc said:
is there such a thing.. do any of the FSA replacement bearing fit shimano dura ace external bearing bottom brackets?

What size bearings do the FSA and shimano bbs take?

I'd upgrade you wheels before doing bottom bracket. Wheels spin at upto 5 times faster than your cranks, so more to gain there.

carbonguru said:
Be careful! Cereamic Bearings are not all what they are cracked up to be. In fact, I think you will regret swapping your steel for ceramic. :rolleyes:

Please do elaborate.

Phill P said:
What size bearings do the FSA and shimano bbs take?

I'd upgrade you wheels before doing bottom bracket. Wheels spin at upto 5 times faster than your cranks, so more to gain there.
if you go to the boca bearings site the have a search that lets you pick manufacturer, model etc and spit out the bearing you need..

and yes.. i've done a little digging an found that the hubs are where you're going to get the most of an effect... although some of my digging would lead me to believe that the ~4% saving claim by FSA in total power by swapping out your steel bearings for ceramic it probably inflated by quite a bit.. actually very likely by an order of magnitude too high... likely ~.4% since total friction on a bicycle (from beaing, mech parts) constitutes about 1-2% of total power and the vast, vast majority of that it from "chainline crossover"

but my digging led me to another reason for buying these even though the may not save as much friction as i had originally thought.. the are supposed to last 5-10 times as long as steel... which over the long haul mean that you get a slightly better rolling bearing for LESS money.. in the long rund they are cheaper than steel.. and factor in less maintenance (you could actually run them dry and it shouldn't hurt them they are actually a bargain compared to steel bearing

I second Boca Bearings for a source.

I ordered ceramic bearings after I damaged the bearings in one of my rear wheel sets.
Finding the appropriate bearings on their website was fairly easy, but customer service at Boca Bearings was also helpful to confirm before I made the order.