Ceramic Bearing Systems and Marketing BS Systems

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:54:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>That posting had me going for a minute - my server is called Slartibartfast and I was wondering how
>come it had added its name to a posting. What is it about engineers and Douglas Adams?

I don't know, but one of my treasured posessions is an autographed copy of "So Long, and Thanks for
All the Fish". On the fly-leaf it says, "To John, Best Wishes, Doug Adams". Sigh!

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm no engineer, but I just read Lennard Zinn's column in Velonews this week, and my marketing BS
> detector is ringing. Engineers on the list are welcome to chime in, if what's below if defensible.
>
> Lennard himself says "I have no experience with (ceramic bearings), ...so
> will defer to someone who knows a lot about them." This turns out to be Bill Vance, National Sales
> Manager, ZIPP Speed Weaponry. So here's Vance:

Translation: "I'm not going to put my name to a load of horseshit this huge, so I'll let the guy who
wrote it take the heat."

> "How much benefit is possible from adopting this new technology?

Are we talking about bearings spinning in zero gravity and a perfect vacuum, or bikes?

> According to reports from real world testing done by ZIPP sponsored Team CSC an average reduction
> in wattage of three to four percent under our standard bearing systems, already the tightest
> standard within the industry can be expected.

Ok, yes, maybe you could save 3 or 4 percent for bearing friction. And why is that so important to
racers? (read on...)

> "For an average trained cyclist developing 250 watts, that's a savings of approximately 10 watts.
> At any level of competition, that is significant. The key is every part of the bearing system has
> seen marked improvements
in
> precision resulting an a total benefit greater than the sum of its parts.

LOL! This is ludicrous. If there is even 0.1 watt saved, I'd be very surprised. Those numbers are
off by several decimal orders of magnitude. (Unless they tested the bikes in a vacuum, using
frictionless tires on a frictionless road surface.)

Look, my ordinary Shimano Ultegra hubs (and lots of other premium hubs) spin so damned efficiently
that it's crazy. They use Phil grease and Shimano-grade steel bearings, and the bearing friction is
as near zero as makes any difference for the system. So, maybe ceramic bearings are 3 or 4 percent
more efficient than a premium grease-and-steel setup. Who cares? Bearing friction is already so low
for good-quality hubs that you could drop it out of your equations (for real-world cycling physics
at racing speeds) and hardly notice any error in the results. It's down in the insignificant range,
several digits out. This claim of saving 10 watts in "real world testing" is just marketing
********, pure and simple. They should submit a paper to the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

> "Similar to current math theory, at some point numbers reach a point where the rules just don't
> hold true any more."

ROTFLMAO!! Straight out of the Donald Rumsfeld Big Book of Bullshitting. Translation: "Don't try to
reproduce our results, because you can't."

> Wow. I love the chutzpah of "at some point numbers reach a point where the rules just don't hold
> true any more."

It's beyond chutzpah, and well into the realm of pure fantasy.

> But, as I said, I'm no engineer. So, for all you engineers out there, can there possibly be that
> big a difference in total system efficiency in changing from high-quality steel bearing systems to
> anything else?

You don't need to be a degreed engineer to see that this is a truckload of steaming dung.

My challenge to ZIPP: Show me the numbers, and the test procedures. Until then, file under
"Hype and B.S."

Rocketman

"Slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <CGOCb.18$PK3.2@okepread01>, [email protected] says...
> > If shaving one's legs makes a real performance difference then ceramic bearings would most
> > likely feel like riding with
> > tailwind.
> >

> *Does* that make a difference? I always thought it was just to help with road rash.

Leg shaving makes no measurable aerodynamic difference at all, unless you're a Sasquatch. The only
known benefit is, as you asserted, making road rash a bit less painful.

-Rocketman

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:54:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >That posting had me going for a minute - my server is called Slartibartfast and I was wondering
> >how come it had added its name to a posting. What is it about engineers and Douglas Adams?
>
> I don't know, but one of my treasured posessions is an autographed copy of "So Long, and Thanks
> for All the Fish". On the fly-leaf it says, "To John, Best Wishes, Doug Adams". Sigh!

I would have expected him to write "Best Fishes"; but maybe he's not fond of bad puns.
Er...wait....nevermind.

We miss you terribly, Douglas, and hope that you've found a nice planet to settle down on where
the oceans are the right color and the drinks are mixed nicely, and with a complete absence of
highway bypasses.

-Rocketman

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:41:30 GMT, "Rocketman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Leg shaving makes no measurable aerodynamic difference at all, unless you're a Sasquatch. The only
>known benefit is, as you asserted, making road rash a bit less painful.

<Fabrizzio>And what about the benefit of showing off the muscle definition, then? Does that count
for NOTHING? Jeez...</Fabrizzio>

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

> Since I already wrote up the calculation, here it is:
>
> Typical coefficient of friction for a ball bearing is about mu=1.5e-3 (for example,
> http://www.ntnamerica.com/Engineering/PDFs/2200/frictemp.pdf) Power dissipated in one bearing is
>
> P1 = mu * (m/2) * g * V_bearing where m is mass of rider+bike V_bearing is linear speed the
> bearing rotates at. P_bearingloss = 2*P1 total power lost in two wheels
^^^^^^ is this per bearing or per wheel, i.e., two bearings in front, upwards of
six in rear (2 hub + 2 FH)?

> V_bearing = V_bike * d/D d = bearing race diameter D = wheel diameter P_bearingloss = mu * mg *
> d/D * V_bike
>
> P_bearingloss = C_bearingloss * mg * V_bike where C_bearingloss = mu * d/D, can be compared to
> C_rolling resistance of tires
>
> For a bearing race diameter of 20 mm and wheel diameter of 668 mm (700x23) C_bearingloss = 4.5e-
> 5 for comparison, C_rolling resistance is supposed to be 4e-3 for smooth pavement (e.g. from
> www.analyticcycling.com), or 100x higher.
>
> For a rider+bike of 75 kg traveling at 10 m/s, the power dissipated in wheel bearings is 0.33
> watts. A major technological breakthrough that cut bearing friction in half would only gain 0.16
> watts. It might be significant in hour records or even the pursuit world record. At normal levels
> of competition, I think the sleep gained in not worrying about it has a greater performance
> benefit.

> "They are rated to a spin rate of 300,000 rpm versus a spin rate of 33,000 for our steel balls."
> 300,000-rpm w/ a 700c wheel is 35,000-mph! (vs only 3800-mph @ 33,000-rpm.) you don't see an
> advantage in that?

Oh my gosh, I never thought of this. I was worried about being burned to a crisp by air friction
when I topped 3500. I had never even thought about my *bearings* failing.

Thank you!

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message Weaponry. So here's Vance:

> "How much benefit is possible from adopting this new technology? According to reports from real
> world testing done by ZIPP sponsored Team CSC an average reduction in wattage of three to four
> percent under our standard bearing systems, already the tightest standard within the industry can
> be expected.
>
> "For an average trained cyclist developing 250 watts, that's a savings of approximately 10 watts.
> At any level of competition, that is significant.

I'm a real live ceramics engineer. Ceramic bearings could save 3% of the bearing friction losses.
Unfortunately, the bearing friction losses in a bicycle are only about 0.2 - 0.5 watt to start with,
and 3% of that is about 0.01 watt. This might save about 0.1 sec per hour. Simpler ways to get a
similar improvement are readily available: if you already shave your legs, shave your arms as well.
If you really want to spend that much money, at least buy something visible.

Warning: may contain traces of nut. Posted with 100% post-consumer recycled electrons.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:33:19 +0000, Rocketman wrote:

> ROTFLMAO!! Straight out of the Donald Rumsfeld Big Book of Bullshitting. Translation: "Don't try
> to reproduce our results, because you can't."

There is even a journal, "The Journal of Irreproducible Results". http://www.jir.com/, devoted to
such things. Maybe these guys should consider submitting their research to them.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

In article <[email protected]>,
Slartibartfast <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <CGOCb.18$PK3.2@okepread01>, [email protected] says...

>> If shaving one's legs makes a real performance difference then ceramic bearings would most
>> likely feel like riding with a tailwind.

>*Does* that make a difference? I always thought it was just to help with road rash.

It's the weight savings. But there's more. If you look at the hairs, they spin abount in the wind.
That's right. By shaving them off, you are eliminating ROTATING weight. Big savings.

"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man
can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."
J. Moran

B.C. Cletta <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Power dissipated in one bearing is
> >
> > P1 = mu * (m/2) * g * V_bearing where m is mass of rider+bike V_bearing is linear speed the
> > bearing rotates at. P_bearingloss = 2*P1 total power lost in two wheels
> ^^^^^^ is this per bearing or per wheel, i.e., two bearings in front, upwards
> of six in rear (2 hub + 2 FH)?

It doesn't matter, because if you have more bearings each carries less weight. I divided it into two
bearings each carrying m/2,
1/2 of the rider+bike, considering the bearings on both sides of an axle as a unit. One could call
it four bearings (2 per axle) each carrying m/4. The answer is the same. I ignored the extra force
from bearing preload, by the way, but I don't think that's important compared to the weight.

Freehub bearings don't enter into it anyway because they don't support the rider's weight. Also,
freehub bearings are fixed while the rider is pedaling, and only move when coasting. To quote
Sheldon, "The freewheel is the least important bearing on a bicycle, since it only turns when it is
not carrying any load."

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:11:55 -0500, "frkrygow"
<"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:
>"If" pigs could fly, what would ceramic bearings feel like?

If pigs could fly, your main concern would be what's falling out of the sky, not what your bearings
feel like.
--
Rick "...I'm just glad that cows don't fly" Onanian

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:01:42 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:54:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
>>posting. What is it about engineers and Douglas Adams?
>
>I don't know, but one of my treasured posessions is an autographed copy of "So Long, and Thanks for
>All the Fish". On the fly-leaf it says, "To John, Best Wishes, Doug Adams". Sigh!

*drool*

--
Rick Onanian

>Leg shaving makes no measurable aerodynamic difference at all, unless you're a Sasquatch. The only
>known benefit is, as you asserted, making road rash a bit less painful.

Shaved legs are also a plus for those getting massage.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Chris Neary writes:

>> Leg shaving makes no measurable aerodynamic difference at all, unless you're a Sasquatch. The
>> only known benefit is, as you asserted, making road rash a bit less painful.

> Shaved legs are also a plus for those getting massage.

And don't forget for crashing. I always shave before crashing. On the other hand, you ought to see
how the Guv (aka Arnoldt) shaved for his body building photos. That was also for crashing.

I belief everysingk!

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Leg shaving makes no measurable aerodynamic difference at all, unless you're a Sasquatch. The
> >only known benefit is, as you asserted, making road rash a bit less painful.
>
> Shaved legs are also a plus for those getting massage.

Oh, and they look so pretty too!

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:
> Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
>: Oh, dear, you did this to yourself, Jobst. Arnold should feel honored by the silliness that I
>: pray will follow. (Or "be back.")
>
> no way. as a minnesotan i endured 4 years of jesse "the mind" (so self- described) ventura. i feel
> nothing but compassion for jobst and all his fellow californians living under arnold.

I'm just wondering what designer colours these ceramic bearing balls come in.

cheers, Tom