Ceramic Bearing Systems and Marketing BS Systems

Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
: Oh, dear, you did this to yourself, Jobst. Arnold should feel honored by the silliness that I pray
: will follow. (Or "be back.")

no way. as a minnesotan i endured 4 years of jesse "the mind" (so self- described) ventura. i feel
nothing but compassion for jobst and all his fellow californians living under arnold.

good luck.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:04:17 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> >Leg shaving makes no measurable aerodynamic difference at all, unless you're a Sasquatch. The
>> >only known benefit is, as you asserted, making road rash a bit less painful.
>>
>> Shaved legs are also a plus for those getting massage.
>
>Oh, and they look so pretty too!

And that's really the point, isn't it?

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Oh, dear, you did this to yourself, Jobst. Arnold should feel honored by the silliness that I
> : pray will follow. (Or "be back.")
>
> no way. as a minnesotan i endured 4 years of jesse "the mind" (so self- described) ventura. i feel
> nothing but compassion for jobst and all his fellow californians living under arnold.
>
> good luck.

The Austrian on my floor asked me how I felt about Austria annexing California. Lebensraum indeed!

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>no way. as a minnesotan i endured 4 years of jesse "the mind" (so self- described) ventura. i feel
>nothing but compassion for jobst and all his fellow californians living under arnold.

Like Arnie could make the mess they have in California any worse! Let's face it, the bar has been
set so low that if he maintains a pulse he's bound to do better.

Besides, you have to admit that having Jesse as in office was great for entertainment value, and I'm
betting that the percentage of US school kids that can find Minnesota on a map is up to 12%.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
: Like Arnie could make the mess they have in California any worse! Let's face it, the bar has been
: set so low that if he maintains a pulse he's bound to do better.

there's always room for failure, mark.

: Besides, you have to admit that having Jesse as in office was great for entertainment value, and
: I'm betting that the percentage of US school kids that can find Minnesota on a map is up to 12%.

well, that's true. it was probably good for tourism. the "my governor can beat up your governor" t-
shirts for sale at the mall of america were particuliarly painful, tho.

well, the mall of america is particuliarly painful.

minnesota should probably leverage its abundance of former wrestlers. there are a lot here. probably
the coolest being the baron van raschke. i'm no fan of the current governor, either. i did like
jesse's predecessor arnie carlson despite being a university student at the time (to which he cut a
lot of funding). he was also such a scandinavian dork. what a perfect fit.

ObMinnesotaJoke:

q. how do you tell a finnish extrovert?
r. he's staring at your shoes.

just kidding risto!
--
david reuteler [email protected]

> Is it worth the extra money to shave your legs with ceramic razor blades?

What about titanium blades? They just came out; is the weight reduction worth the price?

(For the humor-impaired, that's a Joke!)

On a serious note, I think Ti would make lousy razor blades, because I don't think it's hard enough
to hold a good edge. If any of you are familiar with the metallurgy of Ti, could you confirm or
deny that?

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

snip

> Besides, you have to admit that having Jesse as in office was great for entertainment value, and
> I'm betting that the percentage of US school kids that can find Minnesota on a map is up to 12%.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark:

That high??

You are kidding, right???

What is the percentage of riders that can spell Habanero??

HAND - and happy holidays!

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Besides, you have to admit that having Jesse as in office was great for entertainment value, and
> > I'm betting that the percentage of US school kids that can find Minnesota on a map is up to 12%.
> >
> > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
>
> Mark:
>
> That high??

Of high school senior honors students planning to major in geography, yes <GGG>.

> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Besides, you have to admit that having Jesse as in office was great for entertainment value, and
> > I'm betting that the percentage of US school kids that can find Minnesota on a map is up to 12%.
> >
> > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
>
> Mark:
>
> That high??

<brag> When I was in 7th grade I could label all the states on a map, and name their
capitals. </brag>

I'm not sure I could still come up with all 50 capitals right now, though I'll bet I could get 40 or
more (probably 45), and I can certainly still label all the states on a map.

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>: Besides, you have to admit that having Jesse as in office was great for entertainment value, and
>: I'm betting that the percentage of US school kids that can find Minnesota on a map is up to 12%.
>
>well, that's true. it was probably good for tourism. the "my governor can beat up your governor"
>t-shirts for sale at the mall of america were particuliarly painful, tho.

Too bad Arnie and Jesse aren't in office at the same time - there could be a California version of
the shirt and a death match to figure out which one is correct. ;-)

David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
:> That high??
: Of high school senior honors students planning to major in geography, yes <GGG>.

please, i'd wager at least 25% of minnesota high school students could finger minnesota on the map.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
: Too bad Arnie and Jesse aren't in office at the same time - there could be a California version of
: the shirt and a death match to figure out which one is correct. ;-)

well, they were both in predator .. where iirc jesse "the body" ventura was wasted first.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On 17 Dec 2003 06:51:58 +1050, DiabloScott
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Is it worth the extra money to shave your legs with ceramic razor blades?

Only if you use BS as your shaving cream. But be sure to use proper lighting...
--
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:27:41 +0000, David Kerber wrote:

> On a serious note, I think Ti would make lousy razor blades, because I don't think it's hard
> enough to hold a good edge. If any of you are familiar with the metallurgy of Ti, could you
> confirm or deny that?

Of course that is right. The razor blades are probably titanium _colored_, or at best plated (if
that is possible), but not made out of it.

Titanium has a mystical reputation as bring harder and stronger than steel, and lighter than
aluminum, when in fact it is none of the above.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:04:35 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:27:41 +0000, David Kerber wrote:
>> On a serious note, I think Ti would make lousy razor blades, because I don't think it's hard
>> enough to hold a good edge. If any of you are familiar with the metallurgy of Ti, could you
>> confirm or deny that?
>
>Of course that is right. The razor blades are probably titanium _colored_, or at best plated (if
>that is possible), but not made out of it.

Today in Wal-Mart, buying cat litter and frozen pizza in bulk, I walked past electric razors labeled
titanium, and thought of this thread. Just now, I googled and got this:
http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=59940127

Yup, titanium-coated blades.

>Titanium has a mystical reputation as bring harder and stronger than steel, and lighter than
>aluminum, when in fact it is none of the above.

Titanium is magic, didn't you know that?

My cat just meowed as I was typing that last sentence.
--
Rick Onanian

> Titanium has a mystical reputation as bring harder and stronger than steel, and lighter than
> aluminum, when in fact it is none of the above.

Ok, then why is it attractive? Why is it desired for bicycle frames?

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Titanium has a mystical reputation as bring harder and stronger
than
> >steel, and lighter than aluminum, when in fact it is none of the
above.

> Titanium is magic, didn't you know that?
>
> My cat just meowed as I was typing that last sentence.
> --
> Rick Onanian

No question, titanium is the cats meow.

In article <[email protected]>,
Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:04:35 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:27:41 +0000, David Kerber wrote:
> >> On a serious note, I think Ti would make lousy razor blades, because I don't think it's hard
> >> enough to hold a good edge. If any of you are familiar with the metallurgy of Ti, could you
> >> confirm or deny that?
> >
> >Of course that is right. The razor blades are probably titanium _colored_, or at best plated (if
> >that is possible), but not made out of it.
>
> Today in Wal-Mart, buying cat litter and frozen pizza in bulk, I walked past electric razors
> labeled titanium, and thought of this thread. Just now, I googled and got this:
> http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=59 940127
>
> Yup, titanium-coated blades.
>
> >Titanium has a mystical reputation as bring harder and stronger than steel, and lighter than
> >aluminum, when in fact it is none of the above.
>
> Titanium is magic, didn't you know that?
>
> My cat just meowed as I was typing that last sentence.
> --
> Rick Onanian

I'm a metallurgist and I love titanium, but it gets used inappropriately all the time.

Most titanium isn't particularly hard and certainly isn't used for cutting. Good old alloy steel is
the best metal for that; some stainless steels are OK and they don't rust, so they're used for
knives too: http://www.timken.com/products/specialtysteel/engineering/tech_info/html/
Knife%20Steels.htm

A lot of cutting edges, though, are coated with titanium nitride, which is a **ceramic** (remember
the name of this thread?). This makes a hard, low-friction cutting edge and is, in fact, what's on
those misleadingly-labelled "titanium" shavers (Remington just got whacked about that:
http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/news.htm). It's not clear to me whether a titanium nitride coating is
helpful when cutting whiskers.

I would only use ceramic bearings on a bike if the original bearings tended to get red hot in use.
This has, as far as I know, never happened to me.