Ceramic bearinjgs in bicycles.

CyclingTom, the definition of insanity according to Einstein is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, and this is what I was doing with you, hoping you would see your ignorance and change and it's not working. So to prevent the insanity from just going on and on and getting nowhere with you I have decided to leave the forum. You can take that for a victory for you if so desire because I don't really care anymore about you or your 4 year old behavior, but it's actually a victory for me because I don't have to do that insanity thing over and over with a 4 year old adult. Maybe with some luck everyone on this forum will leave or fail to respond to you, and then you'll only have yourself and your other personalities in your head to talk to.

Goodbye Tom, and goodbye Cycling Forums that use to be a great forum till Cyclintom showed up.
Believe it or not I don't WANT a victory. I simply wanted you, CampyBob and Brian to cease your constant arguing for no more gain than to make yourselves feel like you have something to add when you don't. Any and all comments you made were perfectly welcome because this is a forum and not a chance for you to argue endlessly over technicalities that you are generally incorrect about. I'm sure that you have more than plenty to add to the group than to argue that I'm not at an expert at the things I know more than well.

I make enough errors such as CampyBob could have clearly corrected my power levels without going ballistic and screaming names and cursing the ground I stood upon. And I would have done a more complete accounting and have thanked him for his corrections and furthering my knowledge about the amount of power a cyclist expends.

What was with Brian - after you and CampyBob had goaded me sufficiently I returned in like kind. That disagreed with him. Well, I have news for you. It disagreed with me as well. So I attempted to leave those arguments only to be chased from conversation to conversation by the three of you. That grows tiresome and perhaps I said things I shouldn't but so did the rest of you.

tommy, you had a metric **** ton of opportunities to correct your lies.

But, you did not.

Instead, you whined over and over again that you could hold SIX HUNDRED WATTS FOR AN HOUR.

You repeated that lie over and over and over.

You're a liar. A worthless sack of **** liar. That's all you are and all you'll ever be.

The post right above this one proves that you're STILL lying.

You were told that you NEVER EVER made 600 Watts for an hour and you whined that you DID MAKE 600 WATTS FOR AN HOUR for two weeks after that and made lame attempts to back up your lies. NONE of which worked.

There's a huge difference between a error and a blatant lie. We've all seen and read your repeated lies that continue right on into the above post.

Now, go ahead and lie some more.

tommy, you had a metric **** ton of opportunities to correct your lies.

But, you did not.

Instead, you whined over and over again that you could hold SIX HUNDRED WATTS FOR AN HOUR.

You repeated that lie over and over and over.

You're a liar. A worthless sack of **** liar. That's all you are and all you'll ever be.

The post right above this one proves that you're STILL lying.

You were told that you NEVER EVER made 600 Watts for an hour and you whined that you DID MAKE 600 WATTS FOR AN HOUR for two weeks after that and made lame attempts to back up your lies. NONE of which worked.

There's a huge difference between a error and a blatant lie. We've all seen and read your repeated lies that continue right on into the above post.

Now, go ahead and lie some more.
Do you mean by your posting on a thread about ceramic bearings with your usual load of BS? Your claim that you are getting as much exercise on a Zwift as a ride? Let's face it, you're trying to compensate for a poorly developed sense of self worth.

Let's face it. You're a worthless sack of **** liar.

That's not a claim, moron. It's a fact.

Just as with training, all it takes is something as simple as comparing numbers. Something beyond your grasp of reality, I'm sure.

You're to damned retarded to own a power meter and know what the numbers mean. Your too inexperienced at training to even know what kind of a workout you can get indoors. In short, you're a clueless liar.

How does it feel having us all live inside your empty skull?

Do you mean by your posting on a thread about ceramic bearings with your usual load of BS?

What kind of 3rd grade retarded sentence structure is this? You really are a high school dropout and prove your ignorance with every sentence you type.

Lastly, your idiotic screed on ceramic bearings is completely...idiotic. It doesn't even merit refuting. It's as retarded as everything else you've posted. LMFAO!

Let's face it. You're a worthless sack of **** liar.

That's not a claim, moron. It's a fact.

Just as with training, all it takes is something as simple as comparing numbers. Something beyond your grasp of reality, I'm sure.

You're to damned retarded to own a power meter and know what the numbers mean. Your too inexperienced at training to even know what kind of a workout you can get indoors. In short, you're a clueless liar.

How does it feel having us all live inside your empty skull?

What kind of 3rd grade retarded sentence structure is this? You really are a high school dropout and prove your ignorance with every sentence you type.

Lastly, your idiotic screed on ceramic bearings is completely...idiotic. It doesn't even merit refuting. It's as retarded as everything else you've posted. LMFAO!
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D4FBF2ACD4AD501F8ED7D4FBF2ACD4AD501&FORM=VIRE

Your video is ****ing worthless. Just like you.

If you ride at 200 Watts a 10 to 16 Watt power increase is significant.

Whether a bearing conversion kit for your bike is worth the money to YOU does not effect the reality of the net benefit of using them.

They aren't even 'expensive': https://www.bocabearings.com/products/bearing-applications/bicycle-bearings?ProductType=2 and there are several sources selling for less than BOCA.
Thanks for the information that you ride at 200 watts. I suspected as much.

I did not say I ride at 200 Watts, you moron.

I said, "If YOU ride at 200 Watts...".

You have no clue how many Watts I produce. For ***** sake...you have no clue how few Watts YOU produce! LMFAO!

And as usual the point of that statement sailed right over your pointy little head. Comprehension is not your strong suit. Acting like a complete dumbass...is.

We all realize you can't read or comprehend written English, but please try harder. The bashing to your empty skull really has made it hard for you, we know.

Now, go back to telling us all how you produce 600 Watts for an HOUR. We love your constant lying and that was insanely retarded of you to watch you defend that lie, over and over and over. Too damned funny!

I did not say I ride at 200 Watts, you moron.

I said, "If YOU ride at 200 Watts...".

You have no clue how many Watts I produce. For ***** sake...you have no clue how few Watts YOU produce! LMFAO!

And as usual the point of that statement sailed right over your pointy little head. Comprehension is not your strong suit. Acting like a complete dumbass...is.

We all realize you can't read or comprehend written English, but please try harder. The bashing to your empty skull really has made it hard for you, we know.

Now, go back to telling us all how you produce 600 Watts for an HOUR. We love your constant lying and that was insanely retarded of you to watch you defend that lie, over and over and over. Too damned funny!
So NOW you're saying that you produce more than your Cat 2 friend whom you were staggeringly impressed with when he did a 250 watt ride. Apparently now you're telling us that you ride with far more power than he does. So now not only are you a citizen's racer that finished a lap down and got second place in a three man race but you're telling us that you generate more power than your Cat 2 friend did. Now that's really great.

And this thread is about ceramic bearings which as we all are aware, CampyBob is one the world's great experts. There are some disagreements (in other words others have my opinion);

"Highly regarded British component manufacturer Hope Technology reckons the efficiency savings are simply too negligible to make them worth the increase in cost.

“We have looked at ceramic bearings in the past and talked them over with our bearing suppliers,” explains Hope’s Alan Weatherill. “They do run with less friction, which offers a significant advantage in industrial applications running at 20,000 rpm. A tiny percentage reduction in friction here can equate to a worthwhile power saving, but when you're only turning at 300 rpm, as you do on a bicycle a small percentage increase in efficiency will make a negligible change to your power output. Certainly not worth the significant increase in cost."

"Leading industry wheel dynamics expert and CEO of Edco Wheels , Paul Lew, backs this up and reckons it makes ceramic bearings a poor choice for hubs and headsets, also adding that they offer no weight savings and are only beneficial in environments where high rpm (revolutions per minute) are required.

“For bottom bracket applications, the maximum sustained rpm may be 130,” explains Lew. “For wheel hub applications, the maximum rpm may be 500 – 600 revolutions per kilometer (depends on wheel/tyre diameter). The maximum rpm values in cycling are far below the typical ideal rating for ceramic bearings which is 10,000 rpm+.”

But I suppose that although I've said this same thing and CampyBob has gone off on one of his usual tantrums, he is more than expert than the actual people in the industry.

And this thread is about ceramic bearings which as we all are aware, CampyBob is one the world's great experts. There are some disagreements (in other words others have my opinion);

"Highly regarded British component manufacturer Hope Technology reckons the efficiency savings are simply too negligible to make them worth the increase in cost.

“We have looked at ceramic bearings in the past and talked them over with our bearing suppliers,” explains Hope’s Alan Weatherill. “They do run with less friction, which offers a significant advantage in industrial applications running at 20,000 rpm. A tiny percentage reduction in friction here can equate to a worthwhile power saving, but when you're only turning at 300 rpm, as you do on a bicycle a small percentage increase in efficiency will make a negligible change to your power output. Certainly not worth the significant increase in cost."

"Leading industry wheel dynamics expert and CEO of Edco Wheels , Paul Lew, backs this up and reckons it makes ceramic bearings a poor choice for hubs and headsets, also adding that they offer no weight savings and are only beneficial in environments where high rpm (revolutions per minute) are required.

“For bottom bracket applications, the maximum sustained rpm may be 130,” explains Lew. “For wheel hub applications, the maximum rpm may be 500 – 600 revolutions per kilometer (depends on wheel/tyre diameter). The maximum rpm values in cycling are far below the typical ideal rating for ceramic bearings which is 10,000 rpm+.”

But I suppose that although I've said this same thing and CampyBob has gone off on one of his usual tantrums, he is more than expert than the actual people in the industry.
Now I notice that as per usual PansyBob is saving up to give us a blast about that fantastic savings of having every bearing in your bike changed over to ceramic while at the same time denying greater savings of rolling resistance of tubeless over tubular - for instance - the difference in rolling resistance of a Vittoria Speed open TLR tubeless and the Continental Competition racing tubular is 6.5 watts.

Now as you can see above, experts in the field say that the difference between steel and ceramic bearings is so slight that you couldn't even tell. Well, I can tell you that the difference between the Vittoria Speed and a Continental tubular will slap you right in the face. But I suppose this, like PansyBob's claim that someone finishing 5 or 6th in a TT was great because his ceramic bearings allowed him to only lose 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

Is this like him telling us his Cat 2 friend was spectacular because he produced 250 watts at a heart rate of only 150 bpm? As I pointed out then to the disagreement of many, 150 is not a racing heart rate which for a Cat 2 Masters would be a lot closer to 170-180 unless he's older than PansyBob. And in the Cat 2 Master's race video I published on one of these strings the racer besides only finishing in the middle of the pack was riding at 170 and hitting 190 in places. As well as from the looks of it averaging over 400 watts.

I keep forgetting that PansyBob cannot observe the readings and make estimations from them. He has to have not only power meter readings but the exact same kind of power device that friends of his use. (fading to the sounds of Frank Sinatra singing "What kind of fool is he?" )

To make another comment about CampyBob's Cat 2 friend making 250 watts average at a heart rate of 150 bpm: That impresses the hell out of me because he did that with a heart rate normally associated with a relatively fast sport ride. To me this would seem like he is a real Cat 2 and in a race where he would be keeping up with the front group he would have a heart rate of 170-180 and would be making 400 watts.

So it wasn't a complaint about the output of CampyBob's friend that was the issue - it was his incorrect interpretation of it. Also I was really having fun with CampyBob with his second place in a master's race. Rather than have a sense of humor he took supreme umbrage at it and that's too bad. Since my first messages here he has gone so far over the line that he would have been kicked off of most of the other cycling forums. I am bullet proof and so his language doesn't bother me but there are any number of younger people here who shouldn't have to read that sort of thing.

Also, this is a cycling forum and not a site for him to express all of his pent up psychological problems. If he wanted to call me all the names in the book he could privately email me. But he prefers doing it in public so that he can feel brave other than the cowardly act it is.

So I would much prefer CampyBob to actually stick to the real facts and not his invention and misinterpretation of them. I would certainly give him his due where he is correct and from this point on try to be nothing more than polite if debate is required.

I guess I am lucky to avoid these conversations. I see it this way, I have plenty of friends who recommend I purchase really expensive equipment. Ceramic bearings, $2000 fancy carbon wheels, fancy frames, expensive cranks, hubs, handlebars, heart rate monitors, etc. But yet I ride a $1000 bike with heavy weight Velocity Deep V rims and they all sit on my wheel during rides. :D Unless I was in the TDF, I'd never waste my money being the average Joe. :p I don't know the benefits, the noticeable difference but I don't care. :D

As far as wearing out rims, I wore out a Deep V at 20,000 miles. I had no warning of it wearing out, I had no indication as to how much was left. I was riding and suddenly felt a thump. I thought it may have gone out of true but when I got home to inspect the wheel. It had a blister on the brake surface where it had worn thin then bubbles out in that area. Wheel still true but a blister making the thump noise.

That was 20,000 miles and about 3.5 years.

I did do plenty of climbing in the mountains with that wheel. Maybe 30,000 - 40,000 per month at that time training for timed events up to Big Bear.

.....and at my weight, that is like carry a fully loaded touring bike! :D

I just build my bike, build my wheels and ride them!

I guess I am lucky to avoid these conversations. I see it this way, I have plenty of friends who recommend I purchase really expensive equipment. Ceramic bearings, $2000 fancy carbon wheels, fancy frames, expensive cranks, hubs, handlebars, heart rate monitors, etc. But yet I ride a $1000 bike with heavy weight Velocity Deep V rims and they all sit on my wheel during rides. :D Unless I was in the TDF, I'd never waste my money being the average Joe. :p I don't know the benefits, the noticeable difference but I don't care. :D

As far as wearing out rims, I wore out a Deep V at 20,000 miles. I had no warning of it wearing out, I had no indication as to how much was left. I was riding and suddenly felt a thump. I thought it may have gone out of true but when I got home to inspect the wheel. It had a blister on the brake surface where it had worn thin then bubbles out in that area. Wheel still true but a blister making the thump noise.

That was 20,000 miles and about 3.5 years.

I did do plenty of climbing in the mountains with that wheel. Maybe 30,000 - 40,000 per month at that time training for timed events up to Big Bear.

.....and at my weight, that is like carry a fully loaded touring bike! :D

I just build my bike, build my wheels and ride them!
But we've been through this. On your slow days your wife is all hell and gone faster than me unless I'm REALLY blazing that day.

But really, I like the looks and the feel of the carbon wheels. And I don't think that someone your weight should ride anything but the top of the line carbon wheels and they are so expensive that you could buy a couple of sets of your Velocities for less that one set of those CF's.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
But we've been through this. On your slow days your wife is all hell and gone faster than me unless I'm REALLY blazing that day.

But really, I like the looks and the feel of the carbon wheels. And I don't think that someone your weight should ride anything but the top of the line carbon wheels and they are so expensive that you could buy a couple of sets of your Velocities for less that one set of those CF's.

I build my own wheels so I get them cheap. Ultegra Hub $75, rim $60, spokes $20.....$150 for the rear Ultegra wheel. :p The front wheel even cheaper. :D

My wife is riding a Dura Ace rear wheel. Found rim on clearance rack, Velocity Deep V for $25, DA hub $100, spokes $20.....$145 for a Dura Ace rear wheel. Can't beat that!

I used to build my own wheels with Campy Record rear hub off of a clearance rack and a Dura-Ace on the front. But these were laced up originally to Mavic MA20 rims and later the same Velocity rims you're using. Then one day I noticed a thumping on the brakes and looking it was the aluminum ends of the rim popping out of alignment. Never could get it correct after that and those wheels were installed on a bike I sold. These low spoke count wheels have such a high spoke torque that it is difficult to build them. While you can use the normal method for aluminum rims the carbon rims do not have a linear nipple bed and you have to initially take the crossed spokes up to max torque and then loosen everything up and realign it all. The Chinese have automated the building process and use only torque measurements so that the uneven spoke bed doesn't matter. And the torque on them is ungodly high. The crossed spokes can be rung at middle C.

and later the same Velocity rims you're using....... These low spoke count wheels have such a high spoke torque that it is difficult to build them.

Ahh, but the rims I use are 32 spoke. I don't go for the lightweight stuff. Good ole fashion 32 spoke 3 cross pattern.

Well, that's the smart way but you know how it is - I have to look like the young guys and their top of the line equipment. Maybe I'm denying my age. I can't really tell any difference with the lower spoke counts and the rims are built so lightly that I have to replace the wheels from brake surface wear often enough that the spokes aren't a problem.