ceramic rims - which brake blocks ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Is it essential to use the correct brake blocks with ceramic rims?

    And if it is....can ceramic specific brake blocks be used with normal rims ?

    Thanks for your help

    Tags:

  2. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Is it essential to use the correct brake blocks with ceramic rims?

    No, but it may make the blocks last longer. I don't use specific blocks with my ceramic rims, though
    I don't wear blocks out very quickly anyway for some reason.

    "Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Is it essential to use the correct brake blocks with ceramic rims?
    >
    > I had some ceramic rims once. I bought them because they were a good deal, but they were Mavic 512
    > downhill superstrong rims, and they were way overkill for my weight and riding style.
    >
    > I had problems finding brake blocks that worked well with them. The Shimano ceramic pads didn't
    > seem to provide as good stopping power as plain Kool-stops with normal rims. So I got some
    > Kool-stop green (ceramic specific) pads, but before I put them on the bike I got fed up with the
    > excess weight of the wheels and sold them.
    >
    > So the end result is that I have two pairs (enough for front & rear) Kool-stop ceramic brake pads,
    > unused and still in their original packaging) taking up space in my box-o-bike-bits. They cost
    > 10.99 each. Anyone who wants them can buy them from my for 11 quid for both pairs (half price)
    > plus whatever it costs me to mail them!
    >
    > -Myra

  3. "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Is it essential to use the correct brake blocks with ceramic rims?

    I had some ceramic rims once. I bought them because they were a good deal, but they were Mavic 512
    downhill superstrong rims, and they were way overkill for my weight and riding style.

    I had problems finding brake blocks that worked well with them. The Shimano ceramic pads didn't seem
    to provide as good stopping power as plain Kool-stops with normal rims. So I got some Kool-stop
    green (ceramic specific) pads, but before I put them on the bike I got fed up with the excess weight
    of the wheels and sold them.

    So the end result is that I have two pairs (enough for front & rear) Kool-stop ceramic brake pads,
    unused and still in their original packaging) taking up space in my box-o-bike-bits. They cost 10.99
    each. Anyone who wants them can buy them from my for 11 quid for both pairs (half price) plus
    whatever it costs me to mail them!

    -Myra

  4. Ian Blake

    Ian Blake Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:11:41 -0000, "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is it essential to use the correct brake blocks with ceramic rims?
    >
    >And if it is....can ceramic specific brake blocks be used with normal rims ?
    >

    >Thanks for your help

    There is no need to use specific brake blocks with ceramic rims. Although the grip and wear rates
    can vary significantly between different types. I used to use Scott Mathauser on my first bike. I
    used to get a orange streaks on the braking surface. The braking was very good when clean.

    It is imperative that rims and blocks are properly maintained with ceramic rims. Ceramic rims will
    polish brake pads and brake pad material can clog ceramic rims. So instead of braking being 20%
    better in the wet you will find you have no braking at all.

    This is far too exciting. You can normally detect this happening but last October I had had the good
    fortune of not braking in the wet since June. I was unaware of any problem. I was riding the Brecon
    Beacons Brevet Audax ride when it started to rain. This is a hilly ride and braking is strongly
    advised. I reached a sharp bend at a bottom of a little hill, I found I could not slow down and
    failed to quite get around the bend. I was slightly bruised and my front wheel although rideable to
    the end of the event was not going to be used again. I walked down the remaining hills. I had fun
    telling some mountain bikers walking up the hills from Talybont on Usk that they were doing it
    wrong. "You wall down hills and ride up them," I said.

    Ceramic rims and brake blocks can be cleaned using abrasive blocks such as Klingspor Sandflex. You
    can also buy a Mavic branded block from your bike shop for more money,