Ceramic vs. Regular Rims

gwhunt23

Oct 10, 2003
I have been looking at a new set of wheels for my Trek 4300. I have found the Mavic Crossride, and they have had great reviews. Only problem is that I am wondering which version I should get, the ceramic or the regular kind? Which is better, and is one generally more expensive than the other? I was just wondering, because Nashbar has 2 differnt listings for "Mavic Crossride" for different prices. The decription does not say whether the wheelset is ceramic or regualar.

Any help would be appreciated!

-GWHunt

If you have got disks then ceramic rims won't make any difference

If you run V brakes then ceramic rims will last longer and have better braking performance than plain rims, ceramic rims will also be more expensive.

The rim iteslf is not ceramic, its just a coating on the braking surface that is harder wearing and often grippier. If you get ceramic you might also need to get ceramic specific pads to get the best from them

On another note, this is an MTB tech question so it would be better off in that forum

Originally posted by Duckwah On another note, this is an MTB tech question so it would be better off in that forum

Sorry about that. I'm new here, and and jsut didn't look around too much for the right forum.

But thank you for your help!

no worries, you will just get better answers if you post in the MTB forums