ceramic zonda vs stock eurus

BMAFG

Nov 26, 2003
For about the same money I can do Campy Zondas with ceramic bearing upgrade or Stock Campy Eurus.

What are your leanings?

Jim

What's the performance gain with ceramic bearings? Almost not measurable for the average non-pro cyclist did someone say? :)

BMAFG said:
For about the same money I can do Campy Zondas with ceramic bearing upgrade or Stock Campy Eurus.

What are your leanings?

Jim

The Campy bearings are fine. Use 'em. Ceramic bearings offer no real benefit other than efficiently emptying your wallet.

Zonda has low-drag steel spokes and is almost certainly faster than the fat-spoked Eurus. Don't waste your money on fancy bearings.

artemidorus said:
Zonda has low-drag steel spokes and is almost certainly faster than the fat-spoked Eurus. Don't waste your money on fancy bearings.
I thought the new Zonda had a steel version of the aero Alum spokes of the Eurus.

I hear lots of "don't waste your money .. ceramics are hype .. ceramics are minimal improvement". Does anybody have links to instrumented testing of actual ceramic bearing application in bicycle wheels at real world speeds -- not pro racer speeds?

In any case, I probably wouldn't buy ceramics for performance reasons, but because it's something cool that nobody can see. It's a sickness that I have :)

BMAFG said:
I thought the new Zonda had a steel version of the aero Alum spokes of the Eurus.

I hear lots of "don't waste your money .. ceramics are hype .. ceramics are minimal improvement". Does anybody have links to instrumented testing of actual ceramic bearing application in bicycle wheels at real world speeds -- not pro racer speeds?

In any case, I probably wouldn't buy ceramics for performance reasons, but because it's something cool that nobody can see. It's a sickness that I have :)
Because of steel's higher modulus, you can use a much smaller cross-sectional spoke area, I think it's about 1/3 of the alloy cross-sectional area. The Zonda spokes look much slimmer. There's little that's "aero" about alloy spokes.
Don't believe what I say, read what the experts say about ceramic vs steel bearings. Has to be the least rewarding possible upgrade .

Most of the complaints about ceramic is cost to performance. Very high cost, not very much performance. SLightly lighter, durability gains, and slightly less rolling resistance. However you can buy a wheelset for what some people charge!
Zondas are great wheels. I have the older design before the milled rims (with ceramic bearings....) I think they are great, campy wheels have me won!
If budget is a limit, I'd go for the Zondas. If you crash they will cost less to replace. Use the money left to buy some good tyres, then if you have money left over, and you really want the techno factor, then get the bearings. Or save up and go on a nice cycling holiday.