cervelo: aerodynamics -v- weight

NYCPrynne

Apr 19, 2006
I'm thinking about buying a Cervelo, and am torn between the R3 and the Soloist Carbon? I ride in NYC, so there aren't any particularly problematic climbs, though there are some areas with rolling "hills." Would you choose a light weight (R3) or aerodynamics (Soloist Carbon)?

Most of our team rides Cervelos. Only two of us have R3s and most of the other guys ride the Soloists. The R3 is stiffer and lighter but not as aero. We've determined the following - if you're all about the breakaway and have a tendency toward time-trialing then the Soloist is great. If you need a seriously, and I mean a seriously, stiff bottom bracket and a light machine, go with the R3. I should point out that I go about 163 lbs. at 5 8 1/2" The bike is SO comfortable it's ridiculous. And note that my "old" bike was an '03 Ghisallo. The R3 is much more comfortable than the Ghisallo ever was. I have a Powertap Pro laced to a 32 spoke DT Suisse wheel rear and a Ksyrium SSC up front and the weight on the bike is still under 17 lbs. I live in Western Pa where the roads are ****. I can ride for hours on the R3 and the bumps just don't matter. Either machine will do you wonders in the sprint. Any way you go, you're getting a phenomenal bike. Just look at what CSC has done in the Spring classics. Good luck in getting what you want.

If you can afford it the Carbon soloist is my bet. You can build it up to be illegal quite easily. It is also very stiff according to the RIDE magazine testing and should be by design principles. The old trade off between weight and aerodynamics seems to have dissapeared with the soloist. It is light, aero and stiff.

In fact, the way high end bikes are build now and the UCI rules i think aero style frames will soon become the standard high end frame design, with classic frames becoming obsolete. With no possibility of further weight reductions, and stiffness being easy to achieve with O-size carbon bb areas, aerodynamics are one of the few areas to gain an advantage over other manufactureers.

chrispopovic said:
Most of our team rides Cervelos. Only two of us have R3s and most of the other guys ride the Soloists. The R3 is stiffer and lighter but not as aero. We've determined the following - if you're all about the breakaway and have a tendency toward time-trialing then the Soloist is great. If you need a seriously, and I mean a seriously, stiff bottom bracket and a light machine, go with the R3. I should point out that I go about 163 lbs. at 5 8 1/2" The bike is SO comfortable it's ridiculous. And note that my "old" bike was an '03 Ghisallo. The R3 is much more comfortable than the Ghisallo ever was. I have a Powertap Pro laced to a 32 spoke DT Suisse wheel rear and a Ksyrium SSC up front and the weight on the bike is still under 17 lbs. I live in Western Pa where the roads are ****. I can ride for hours on the R3 and the bumps just don't matter. Either machine will do you wonders in the sprint. Any way you go, you're getting a phenomenal bike. Just look at what CSC has done in the Spring classics. Good luck in getting what you want.

I posted this same question at bikeforums.net, and one person mentioned that crosswinds were an issue with the soloist. Crosswinds are definitely an issue in Central Park. Any thoughts about this issue when considering these two machines?

Does anyone know the relative frame weights of these bikes? Even manufacturer claimed weight will do but actual tested weights would be great! :cool:

Cervelo claims "just over 1 kg" for the soloist carbon. The built bike is 6.9 kg with Zipp wheels as per Team spec. Actually weight for R-3 in 56cm is 2.02 pounds or a shave above 900 grams. See

http://www.cervelo.com/reviews/Flexing%20Their%20Muscles.pdf

For intersting comparative review on the R-3. R-3 comes out the best overall with other super light frames.

Still, I agree with the Cerverlo home page on its preferences- it only sees a use for the R-3 when weight limits dont apply, or if comfort needs to be optimised, or if you need more tire clearance.

In most real life situations aerodynamics is more of an advantage than weight.

chrispopovic said:

Chris, any comments on the aluminum soloist? Haven't had the opportunity to ride one for 3-4 hours like perhaps you have. Can you comment on the comfort and performance.

No insult intended please, anyone with a comment is appreciated, thanks. DougEG

Can you healthily lose the weight difference between the two bikes? If so buy the aero, if you cant then its a gamble. Will the aero actually gain you any thing or will you be better off with less of an inherantly unaerodynamic machine to propel around. There you go, clear as mud, glad i sorted that quandry out.:confused:

NYCPrynne said:
I'm thinking about buying a Cervelo, and am torn between the R3 and the Soloist Carbon? I ride in NYC, so there aren't any particularly problematic climbs, though there are some areas with rolling "hills." Would you choose a light weight (R3) or aerodynamics (Soloist Carbon)?

wooliferkins said:
Can you healthily lose the weight difference between the two bikes?
;)
Yeah I never understood obsessing about 100 or 200 grams when the people doing it could stand to lose 6000grams off their body. If 100 grams matters that much next time you go for a ride, fill your 750 ml bottle up to the 650 mark and you will be good to go...

I think the quandary would make more sense if you were trying to figure out aero or better ride with room to run bigger tires... that is really what you are comparing, the weight difference is negligible... of course if you got the R3 you could carry 100ml more water :rolleyes: :p

For casual riding, probably not much difference either way, especially if you're only averaging around 17 mph.

And just as most people could garner a big weight savings by losing some of their body mass, more aerodynamics is achieved by altering your position on the bike than by an aero frame. No point in an aero frame if you've got the stem turned up.

One big difference, however: R3 is $600 cheaper. Save some money and spend more time in the drops :)

Can any of you Soloist Carbon riders comment on the fork options? The Cervelo web site mentions three forks with the Wolf SL appearing to be the lightest and most areodynamic. I want to buy a frameset but I am not sure which fork will be provided or will I be able to choose? I already talked my local Cervelo dealer and he said it would come with the Wolf TT fork (this is the fork that comes with the P3 TT bike) so this doesn't make sense to me and doesn't match what the Cervelo web site says.
:confused:
Thanks.

I checked with the dealer again and he said he made a mistake. The soloist carbon frameset will come with the Wolf SL, not TT.
:)