Cervelo/Cannondale Sizing Issues and Other Stuff

ingphilip

Jan 16, 2007
I need advice from Cervelo Soloist or CDale CAAD owners who are my height (5’6”, inseam 77.8 cm (30.4in) (of course shorter and taller riders, please chime in!). I’m looking to buy a used alum frame bike so I can start crit racing (CAT 5) (gotta start sometime!). My background info: No carbon bikes for me to race on since there’s a good chance of me getting into a crash. I currently ride on a size small 2005 Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile Edition, that I will not race on, and also b/c I think it’s a little too large. I went to a bike fitter, Signature Cycles in NYC, and they helped me reposition myself on the bike (I had hand, neck and upper back pain after 60-70mile rides), and he suggested that I get a new sized bar and stem, and fine tune the position of saddle, seat height, cleat position, hood levers, stem height, put shims in the brake levers, etc. He said actually the top tube 53.3cm was not really long for my trunk size, except that my forearms and arm were shorter, which is why I am now riding with an 80mm stem and have 30mm of spacers under my stem. Although it doesn’t look that aggressive with the flipped stem, I can ride in the drops for a very long time (at least 1hr at a time and no back, neck pain!) Those guys know their stuff! Meanwhile he suggested that I do more yoga type stretches (I can touch my knuckles to the ground while bending from the waist)

Now my issue: should I ride either the Cervelo Team Soloist (alum) 48 or 51cm, or a CAAD8 (48 or 50cm)? I prefer the Cervelo, and may think a 51cm is my size but not certain. A 48 may be too small. The bike fitter said I should not choose C’Dale b/c their headtubes are too short. A 50cm frame only has an 11cm headtube length, whereas a 51 cm Soloist has a 12cm ht. My Giant has a 13cm ht and I still need 3 spacers. As I get more flexible, my reach will increase slightly, but an 11cm or lower headtube would still be too short. The only thing with the Cervelo 51cm is that the top tube is a 53cm. Now, I know that their seat angles are slack at 73deg, so from what I hear, that shortens the cockpit length a bit. For that reason, a Trek Madone in a 50cm frame w/a 52.6cm eff tt is really a 53.6cm tt b/c the seat angle is 75.1 deg! That’s steep! That’s why I see so many Madone riders with a flipped stem, shorter stem, and saddles pushed forward to reduce cockpit length. Their tt are deceptively long. I wish I could fit one but I can’t.

I measured myself on the fit calculator on competitive cyclist and hear are my measurements and results. For those of you who have used this calculator, it gives you sizes for competitive fit and “Eddy” (Merckx) fit, the competitive fit being for sprinters, and the Eddy fit, which is more upright I think Lance emulated. I wish I could ride with no spacers and look “aero” but I can’t. Weight is not an issue. I’m 142lbs(42.4kg) Here are my measurements in cm.

Inseam:77.8 Trunk: 61 Forearm: 32.75 Arm: 63.25 Thigh:55.23 Lower Leg:49.2 Sternal Notch:136.5 Total Body Height: 168

The Competitive Fit:

Seat tube range c-c: 50.4 - 50.9

Seat tube range c-t: 51.9 - 52.4

Top tube length: 52.4 - 52.8

Stem Length: 10.5 - 11.1

BB-Saddle Position: 66.5 - 68.5

Saddle-Handlebar: 50.1 - 50.7

Saddle Setback: 3.9 - 4.3

Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

The Eddy Fit

Seat tube range c-c: 51.6 - 52.1Seat tube range c-t: 53.1 - 53.6Top tube length: 52.4 - 52.8Stem Length: 9.4 - 10.0BB-Saddle Position: 65.7 - 67.7Saddle-Handlebar: 50.9 - 51.5Saddle Setback: 5.1 - 5.5Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

I appreciate all who have taken time to read this, and provide me feedback. I would like folks to tell me their vital body measurements, along with frame size and stem length, Also has anyone ridden both the alum Soloist and CAAD, and their impressions. Thanks.

ingphilip said:
I need advice from Cervelo Soloist or CDale CAAD owners who are my height (5’6”, inseam 77.8 cm (30.4in) (of course shorter and taller riders, please chime in!). I’m looking to buy a used alum frame bike so I can start crit racing (CAT 5) (gotta start sometime!). My background info: No carbon bikes for me to race on since there’s a good chance of me getting into a crash. I currently ride on a size small 2005 Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile Edition, that I will not race on, and also b/c I think it’s a little too large. I went to a bike fitter, Signature Cycles in NYC, and they helped me reposition myself on the bike (I had hand, neck and upper back pain after 60-70mile rides), and he suggested that I get a new sized bar and stem, and fine tune the position of saddle, seat height, cleat position, hood levers, stem height, put shims in the brake levers, etc. He said actually the top tube 53.3cm was not really long for my trunk size, except that my forearms and arm were shorter, which is why I am now riding with an 80mm stem and have 30mm of spacers under my stem. Although it doesn’t look that aggressive with the flipped stem, I can ride in the drops for a very long time (at least 1hr at a time and no back, neck pain!) Those guys know their stuff! Meanwhile he suggested that I do more yoga type stretches (I can touch my knuckles to the ground while bending from the waist)

Now my issue: should I ride either the Cervelo Team Soloist (alum) 48 or 51cm, or a CAAD8 (48 or 50cm)? I prefer the Cervelo, and may think a 51cm is my size but not certain. A 48 may be too small. The bike fitter said I should not choose C’Dale b/c their headtubes are too short. A 50cm frame only has an 11cm headtube length, whereas a 51 cm Soloist has a 12cm ht. My Giant has a 13cm ht and I still need 3 spacers. As I get more flexible, my reach will increase slightly, but an 11cm or lower headtube would still be too short. The only thing with the Cervelo 51cm is that the top tube is a 53cm. Now, I know that their seat angles are slack at 73deg, so from what I hear, that shortens the cockpit length a bit. For that reason, a Trek Madone in a 50cm frame w/a 52.6cm eff tt is really a 53.6cm tt b/c the seat angle is 75.1 deg! That’s steep! That’s why I see so many Madone riders with a flipped stem, shorter stem, and saddles pushed forward to reduce cockpit length. Their tt are deceptively long. I wish I could fit one but I can’t.

I measured myself on the fit calculator on competitive cyclist and hear are my measurements and results. For those of you who have used this calculator, it gives you sizes for competitive fit and “Eddy” (Merckx) fit, the competitive fit being for sprinters, and the Eddy fit, which is more upright I think Lance emulated. I wish I could ride with no spacers and look “aero” but I can’t. Weight is not an issue. I’m 142lbs(42.4kg) Here are my measurements in cm.

Inseam:77.8 Trunk: 61 Forearm: 32.75 Arm: 63.25 Thigh:55.23 Lower Leg:49.2 Sternal Notch:136.5 Total Body Height: 168

The Competitive Fit:

Seat tube range c-c: 50.4 - 50.9

Seat tube range c-t: 51.9 - 52.4

Top tube length: 52.4 - 52.8

Stem Length: 10.5 - 11.1

BB-Saddle Position: 66.5 - 68.5

Saddle-Handlebar: 50.1 - 50.7

Saddle Setback: 3.9 - 4.3

Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

The Eddy Fit

Seat tube range c-c: 51.6 - 52.1Seat tube range c-t: 53.1 - 53.6Top tube length: 52.4 - 52.8Stem Length: 9.4 - 10.0BB-Saddle Position: 65.7 - 67.7Saddle-Handlebar: 50.9 - 51.5Saddle Setback: 5.1 - 5.5Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

I appreciate all who have taken time to read this, and provide me feedback. I would like folks to tell me their vital body measurements, along with frame size and stem length, Also has anyone ridden both the alum Soloist and CAAD, and their impressions. Thanks.
Im about your height 168cm, and ride a 50cm cannondale caad 8, and it fits well. nice bike 2