Cervelo Prodigy vs Giant OCR carbon?? opinions wanted!

matt_chan

Feb 6, 2004
Steel vs Carbon
Small name company vs big generic name
Prodigy vs OCR carbon.
low tech vs high tech

I am having trouble deciding on my new frame for this year - i have narrowed it down to these 2 frames - vastly different in their philosophy, but both potentially great bikes.

I have always like steel and the thought of having perhaps the best steel frame out there is quite tempting (and at 1450g, not that heavy)

But with the arrival of affordable carbon, the latest technology now seems accessible to all, and is a real choice for consumers.

i am not intending to race (not road racing anyway), but i do love to ride + train for endurance style mtb events.

i tend to keep my bikes a long time, so durability is kind of important, but then so is light weight, stiffness and performance.

can anyone truly reccommend one over the other, or does it all just boil down to personal choice?

If I'm not mistaken, the only carbon frame Giant makes is a TCR, not an OCR, correct? The OCR elite features carbon seatstays on an aluminum frame, I believe.

Matt, your anxiety is understandable... nothing's more fun or more nerve-wracking than deciding where to plunk your next paycheck. Ultimately, though, the subtleties you're discussing here are just that -- subtleties. And those considerations are all about your groove, your identity, your style, and your personal preference.

Giant's alloy bikes, be they the OCR Elite or the TCR alloy, are great. I've owned a TCR for a while now, and I love it. They're a great value, and the company pays considerable attention to detail, despite their image as a mass-producing juggernaut. Typically, Giant's road bikes (particularly the TCRs) are described as being pretty racy -- they've got slightly agressive geometry, and are considered on the higher end of the stiffness range. Giant's full-carbon TCR frames are (of course) feather light, and a touch less buzzy.

Steel, of course, is often characterized as offering that magic ride, suitable for racing and touring alike, lively and yet compliant, all at a slight weight penalty.

What floats your boat? The only way to know is to take them for a spin, which is good, because it's the only way you'll get the right fit, right? Do some test riding, and fifty cents says the answer will pop out at you. Good luck!

lokstah,

yes you are quite right, it's the TCR full carbon frame that i'm interested in.

i've always enjoyed a dilemma, especially of this nature - can't really make a wrong choice here, but i am curious to hear more opinions.