CERVELO SLC TRIPLE CRANK?

SLATS72

Jul 6, 2007
Is it possible to put a triple crank on a Cevelo SLC. Presently have a compact crank 50-34 with a 12-27 rear cassette but need a little more help and dont know if it can be done. As a matter of fact I have been told by a lbs that they didnt think it could be. They were not Cervelo Dealers.:confused:

Should be possible. You'll also need a new front derailleur, a long-cage rear derailleur, a longer chain, and probably a new left shifter. You sure you wanna go there? (Just askin'; I've gone there myself.)

OldGoat said:
Should be possible. You'll also need a new front derailleur, a long-cage rear derailleur, a longer chain, and probably a new left shifter. You sure you wanna go there? (Just askin'; I've gone there myself.)
Just curious why you ask "are you sure" is there something that I should be thinking about that I havent??

Well, first there's the cost of replacing your entire drivetrain. And then there are possible chainline and/or cross-chaining issues, with the possibility that some front/rear gear combinations may not be usable.

Some posters will no doubt add that hills will be less of a problem if you up your mileage and do more hill work.

You may want to check the numerous tagged posts re triples at this link:
Cycling Forums - Threads Tagged with triple

SLATS72 said:
Is it possible to put a triple crank on a Cevelo SLC. Presently have a compact crank 50-34 with a 12-27 rear cassette but need a little more help and dont know if it can be done. As a matter of fact I have been told by a lbs that they didnt think it could be. They were not Cervelo Dealers.:confused:

Bike shop says it's not possible? YGBSM..of course it is, just need the crank, front and rear der. Even if it's a BB30, get adapters and then a shimano crank. AND ensure the LH lever is triple compatible.

It seems like it should be possible, although I wouldn't tell any other Cervelo owners about it, or you might be drummed out of the club...

I suppose one possible issue might be if the FD is a braze-on - there might be a possible issue with locating the triple FD properly.

Wouldn't you also need to get a new brifter for the front? Or is your existing one good for both doubles and triples?

An alternative that will help on hills a bit, but not as much as a triple, would be to move to an 11-28 cassette.

You MIGHT have a rear derailleur issue, but this is still going to be a lot less involved than moving to a triple.

Just a thought.