Cervelo Soloist Carbon.......

lorrod

Feb 7, 2005
Does anyone ride the Cervelo Soloist Carbon? What are your thoughts on this frame? Good, bad, ugly, great???

I have one and I love it, it's a really good frame...very stiff yet it gives a nice ride. I have mine set up on Record and it's about 16 lbs.
The only con that I have is that the 39 tooth chain ring is so close to the chain stay that if your chain drops it can get stuck and when you pull it out a few mm of carbon goes with it. (yes it happened to me)

I have a 2003 AL Soloist Team and a 2006 CF Soloist Team. Both 51 cm but somehow the top tube is shorter on the CF one. I've put 1680 miles on the AL one but only 56.6 miles on the CF one! Just got the CF one from ebay in Nov and have been switching parts on it from ebay purchases. Originally got it with Ksyriums full Chorus and now it's Chorus / Record with Campy Eurus and an ergomo pro. But I just won a set of Zipp 404s from ebay but before I pay I want the sellers telephone number and him to answer questions about the wheel or I might not pay. He's a bike shop.

From my short ride I like the geometry of the CF Soloist. Built with Campy the wiring is more aero than my Shimano AL Soloist. Well, when the weather gets better the CF Soloist will be my main training ride, and it will probably never see a race (too expensive to crash it).

I have 3 AL and 3 CF bikes but I just don't notice the difference in the ride!

I got both my Cervelos from ebay. And my local Cervelo dealer won't give me a crash replacement price / deal. At least I saved a lot of money, because I couldn't afford retail brand new prices on my CF Soloist.

The team and CF Soloists have the same geometry, you must be measuring it wrong.

There are no Cervelo ebay dealers, so those frames bought on ebay do not have any lifetime warranty.

lorrod said:
Does anyone ride the Cervelo Soloist Carbon? What are your thoughts on this frame? Good, bad, ugly, great???
Finish could be better for the price you pay.

kennybear said:
I have one and I love it, it's a really good frame...very stiff yet it gives a nice ride. I have mine set up on Record and it's about 16 lbs.
The only con that I have is that the 39 tooth chain ring is so close to the chain stay that if your chain drops it can get stuck and when you pull it out a few mm of carbon goes with it. (yes it happened to me)
Overall though, you'd say it was a pretty good ride? How about for Centuries, as well as races?

lorrod said:
Overall though, you'd say it was a pretty good ride? How about for Centuries, as well as races?

I can't comment on the Soloist carbon per se, but when I was trying to decide between the Cervelo SC and R3, I did a lot of research. Unfortunatley, I did not have access to a Soloist to test ride. HOwever, I took two test rides on a R3 at my LBS and absolutely loved the ride. To many, it comes down to whether you want the light weight of the R3 vs. the slightly heavier, but aero tubing of the SC... I was tempted to consider the Soloist for the aero benefit, but was lead to believe this was only a real advantage at average speeds higher than I ride. More importantly, one large Cervelo dealer clearly steered me away from the Soloist when they found out that many of my local roads were a bit rough or broken up. He instantly steered me towards the R3 and away from the SC. The sales person I spoke with actually chose the R3 over the Soloist himself to replace his Scott CR1, for other reasons, but said I would be much happier with the R3 with my kind of riding. As I went back and read (between the lines) many Soloist reviews I noted that it is not known for being particularly comfortable (esp on rougher tarmac). Yet, the R3 which is actually stiffer in the BB, has much more comfort partly related to its pencil-thin seat stays. I gather this was one of its benefits in Paris-Roubaix. That was one of the amazing things I noticed on my test ride. The bike was significantly more comfortable over rough roads compared to my 1992 Trek 5200 OCLV, yet was incredibly stiff. Moreover, the 4 lb weight loss compared to my older Trek was unbelievable. Hill climbing is significantly more fun on the R3 compared to my older bike, as I can climb in 2 or more higher gears and now consistently beat my friends uphill. The transmission from the pedals to the bike is wonderful.

So, when I hear you are looking at using this bike in longer rides, you may want to consider ride comfort as a factor. But, perhaps you really want the aero advantage ????