Cervelo story in the Globe & Mail

On Jun 12, 11:07 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 12, 2:52 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

<snip>

> > > Cervelo...

> > Their publicist must be very good (to get the same boring story into
> > so many different places).

> There's been about five successful-outside-Canada Canadian companies in
> the last decade*, so it's easy to get their charming story in the Globe
> & Mail.
>
> *Research In Motion, Macdonald Dettweiler, Cervelo, and I can't think of
> two more.

I'd like to extend my true greatest admiration and appreciation for
the entire Canadian brewing industry.

Dans le message de
Amit Ghosh <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

> astana is sponsored by a bunch of oil-rich borats

You're a scumsucking racist.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2:07 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Their publicist must be very good (to get the same boring story into
> > > so many different places).

> > There's been about five successful-outside-Canada Canadian companies in
> > the last decade*, so it's easy to get their charming story in the Globe
> > & Mail.
> >
> > *Research In Motion, Macdonald Dettweiler, Cervelo, and I can't think of
> > two more.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> > "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> > "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

> Who the hell is Macdonald Dettweiler.

Google tells me I meant MacDonald Dettwiler.

True story: Vern Dettwiler spoke at our career day when I was in high
school. I didn't really understand what a big deal that was at the time.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:42:11 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>And perhaps some serious candidates:
>>McCain Foods (fries!)
>>Maplesoft
>>Bombardier

>I see Bomdardier a lot where I am in New York City - they make our
>subway cars.

Bombardier is one of the world's three biggest manufacturers of subway
cars, trams, locomotives and railway rolling stock (the others being
Siemens and Alstom)

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> Their publicist must be very good (to get the same boring story into
> so many different places).

Sometimes bad is good. In advertising, especially.

Another example (but you have to be an NFL fan to get it):

Last week I took Mrs. Fredburger to San Francisco in an effort to
distract her from our 20th wedding anniversary. While walking all over
SF, I saw this mounted on the wall inside a bus stop:

http://beeblebrox.endoftheinternet.org/Alex_Smith1.JPG

For you non-NFL fans, there are reasons independent of Alex Smith's
resemblance to Godzilla that make this ad a head-smacker.

Robert Chung wrote:
> On Jun 13, 6:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Avril Lavigne.

> Maybe, but then you'd have to deduct for Celine Dion.

Two words:

Bryan Adams.

Fred Fredburger schreef:
> Robert Chung wrote:
>> ilanpsi wrote:
>>> Avril Lavigne.

>> Maybe, but then you'd have to deduct for Celine Dion.

> Two words:
> Bryan Adams.

Regardless of the bad ****, Run To You and Summer Of '69 make that a
positive.

Ted
-child of the 80s

In article <[email protected]>,
Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:42:11 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >>And perhaps some serious candidates:
> >>McCain Foods (fries!)
> >>Maplesoft
> >>Bombardier

> >I see Bomdardier a lot where I am in New York City - they make our
> >subway cars.

> Bombardier is one of the world's three biggest manufacturers of subway
> cars, trams, locomotives and railway rolling stock (the others being
> Siemens and Alstom)

Bombardier makes just about every sort of conveyance known to man, not
limited to: jets, boats, motorcycles (at various times), and ski-doos

On Jun 15, 9:28 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >I see Bomdardier a lot where I am in New York City - they make our
> > >subway cars.

> > Bombardier is one of the world's three biggest manufacturers of subway
> > cars, trams, locomotives and railway rolling stock (the others being
> > Siemens and Alstom)

> Bombardier makes just about every sort of conveyance known to man, not
> limited to: jets, boats, motorcycles (at various times), and ski-doos

The name implies that you can expect exploding objects to fall out of
them.

Bret

On Jun 15, 8:28 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >I see Bomdardier a lot where I am in New York City - they make our
> > >subway cars.

> > Bombardier is one of the world's three biggest manufacturers of subway
> > cars, trams, locomotives and railway rolling stock (the others being
> > Siemens and Alstom)

> Bombardier makes just about every sort of conveyance known to man, not
> limited to: jets, boats, motorcycles (at various times), and ski-doos

Bicycles? Surely they could have invented this:

http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

Ben

On Jun 13, 7:19 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had no idea McCain was notable outside Canada, Cirque is a good
> example, Maple, though I've had to support their stuff, is a pretty
> niche thing, and Bombardier...
>
> It pains me to say this for a lot of reasons, but Bombardier is an
> example of how to create a billion-dollar company using only a billion
> dollars of public grants and subsidies.

In their line of work, that's not such a bad ROI. If you look
at their competitors, I doubt many (or any) of them are free
of subsidies, fat defense contracts, and the like - Boeing,
Alstom, Embraer, presumably Siemens, etc.

Anyway, given there are so few companies in the niche of
building subway cars and other rolling stock, no Bombardier
would mean higher prices for NYC subway cars and regional
rail. In other words, Canadian taxpayers used their hard currency
to subsidize much-needed improvements to crumbling public
infrastructure in exchange-rate-battered developing countries,
such as the USA. That seems like a laudable form of
international development aid.

Ben

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyway, given there are so few companies in the niche of building subway
> cars and other rolling stock, no Bombardier would mean higher prices for
> NYC subway cars and regional rail. In other words, Canadian taxpayers
> used their hard currency to subsidize much-needed improvements to
> crumbling public infrastructure in exchange-rate-battered developing
> countries, such as the USA. That seems like a laudable form of
> international development aid.

Perhaps they're planning on purchasing NYC. Hope they've got good
flood insurance though in case Greenland keeps melting at the same
rate.

In article
<ef12e15b-8a33-4df1-a535-c18fa460727b@r37g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

> On Jun 15, 8:28 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Bombardier is one of the world's three biggest manufacturers of subway
> > > cars, trams, locomotives and railway rolling stock (the others being
> > > Siemens and Alstom)

> > Bombardier makes just about every sort of conveyance known to man, not
> > limited to: jets, boats, motorcycles (at various times), and ski-doos

> Bicycles? Surely they could have invented this:
>
> http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

I should have said motorized conveyance. The only exception appears to
be cars themselves. They are very proud that they just released their
first on-road vehicle, a 3-wheeler.