cervelo-sugino-wheels

Zruk

Guest
Hi Folks;
Follow up question on the Cervelo R3 with the sugino triple. Someone
mentioned wheels: I'd like to get some suggestions. I want to
experience the new technology for myself. Did 180 miles of the
D.D.this year On a TIGed steel bike with 32h dura ace hubs and Campy
Ypsilon rims. I would not have chosen 32h wheels but they were hand-
me downs and, pleasant surprise, they seem to be holding up?!? I am
100kilos and relatively hard on stuff but I plan to use this bike only
for supported rides. Want a sturdy wheelset that will make sense with
the Cervelo and allow me to get the full experience of the new
technology. Or Should I just get an old school wheelset built up?

On Jul 9, 6:05 pm, Zruk <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Folks;
> Follow up question on the Cervelo R3 with the sugino triple. Someone
> mentioned wheels: I'd like to get some suggestions. I want to
> experience the new technology for myself. Did 180 miles of the
> D.D.this year On a TIGed steel bike with 32h dura ace hubs and Campy
> Ypsilon rims. I would not have chosen 32h wheels but they were hand-
> me downs and, pleasant surprise, they seem to be holding up?!? I am
> 100kilos and relatively hard on stuff but I plan to use this bike only
> for supported rides. Want a sturdy wheelset that will make sense with
> the Cervelo and allow me to get the full experience of the new
> technology.

You mean waiting a couple weeks for a replacement spoke?

>Or Should I just get an old school wheelset built up?

Sounds good. You can do the same things with hand builds as the
proprietary wheels, but with normal parts--and built to your needs. If
you're jonesing for aero spokes that are super strong--you could even
get your moustachioed wheel guy to use some Sapim cxray spokes, which
would look all fancy like on that Cervelo.

On Jul 9, 5:05 pm, Zruk <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Folks;
> Follow up question on the Cervelo R3 with the sugino triple. Someone
> mentioned wheels: I'd like to get some suggestions. I want to
> experience the new technology for myself. Did 180 miles of the
> D.D.this year On a TIGed steel bike with 32h dura ace hubs and Campy
> Ypsilon rims. I would not have chosen 32h wheels but they were hand-
> me downs and, pleasant surprise, they seem to be holding up?!? I am
> 100kilos and relatively hard on stuff but I plan to use this bike only
> for supported rides. Want a sturdy wheelset that will make sense with
> the Cervelo and allow me to get the full experience of the new
> technology. Or Should I just get an old school wheelset built up?

Hard to beat a well designed and built wheelset, made just for you and
your needs. I think you are over enamoured about any 'new technology'.
Most of these wheels use poor hubs, aluminum spokes(poor choice) and
are built marginally. A reliable handbuilt wheelset, built well, won't
be flashy, decaled all over, multi colored but it will be reliable,
get you there and probably cost less.