Cervelo - what's all the fuss about?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by scottaddictltd, Dec 8, 2009.

1. scottaddictltd

scottaddictltd New Member

I love my Scott Addict Ltd. However, a good friend of mine who used to ride semi-pro (many years ago) is an Iatlian bike snob and says such things are rubbish and Cervelo's etc. are the only true bikes.

I always loved the look of the Scotts - and I would assume a huge company like Scott has a research budget many factors greater than a company like Cervelo. I liken it to buying a Porsche versus a hand made TVR or the like.

What is the truth? What should I understand?:cool:

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

You should understand that Cervelo are Canadian and some of their frames are made in China. Not sure why your Italian bike snob friend digs them some much if he really is an Italian bike snob. I would have thought Colnago's would have been his passion...

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The deal with Cervelo is that they have a big marketing budget. The bikes seen in the most ads are the fastest.

4. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Pretty funny. The Cervelo and Scott 'may' be made in the same asian factory. Just different designs.

I think it's like buying a Acura or a Lexus. Or a Alfa Romero if European.

5. alienator

A "true bike" is the one that fits, that gets you excited, and that you ride as often as you can, unless it's a De Rosa Tango, in which case it's just downright fugly.

6. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

Now the fun part... rubbing it in your friend's face that his Italian bike was manufactured in China! Nah, that would be mean.
    Truth be told, both Cervelo and Scott makes really nice bikes.

7. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

...not that there's anything wrong with that...

8. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

No not at all. My Giant was built in China and I like it just fine. My comment was more based on the fact that his friend has the attitude of "Italian bike are the best and anything less is just not good enough."

9. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

ALWAYS has been a fairly short period of time since SCOTT only re-entered the market a few years ago ...

Even though you are apparently a relative newbie, don't worry about what your former semi-pro friend thinks about one frameset or another ... for the average rider, the frame is just a matter of cosmetics.

The more important choice, IMO, is the shifters you choose to use -- Shimano is great, but Campagnolo is better.

10. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

.....and while he's still reeling from that cataclysm hit him with this little zinger.....

pasta isn't from Italy either, it too came from........ China. :eek:

11. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

What? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. roubaixjoe

roubaixjoe New Member

From what I've read, nearly all the Carbon bikes come from China or Taiwan, including some that claim to be American bikes. I ride a Specialized Roubaix but all kidding aside I REALLY like Cervelo's design of the new S3 with the Aero tubing on a road bike. But come on Cervelo and all bike companies, your pricing has gotten ridiculous. The new Cervelo S3 $11,000.00, Specialized SL3 and Trek Madones 6.9 both around the $9000 mark. Yes they have the lower lines and prices but the dream bikes are getting now like dream cars - only a dream for the masses.

13. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

Yep. And $15,900 for the Pinarello Prince.

14. alienator

Pricing is only ridiculous if no one's paying the prices. In this case though, all that economic theory stuff is working, and people are paying the prices. It's all good. When people stop buying, then the prices are too high.

15. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Every year it amazes me on rides like the Death Ride, that countless dozens of people seem to be on the latest hyper priced bike with additional fancy carbon and titanium bits. Apparently to these folks owning the top of the line Pinarello or Colnago equiped with Campag Super Record isn't enough - you gotta have the Zipp carbon cranks and zero gravity brakes.

I think I might dig out the old 653 frame, find some old super record brake levers, with exposed cables from the early 80's and ride the event on that and pass them all. :p If only I could find some slotted cleats for my Specialized shoes so I could use the ol' toe clips and straps. :D

16. BigUgly

BigUgly New Member

Cervelo just has the image thing going right now, yes the are great bikes but all of the well known companies have great bikes. I'm very happy on my 5 series Madone but I know it holds no pazzas and I couldn't give a crap.

17. Feltski

Feltski New Member

regardless of who designed your frame, im willing to bet more than half the people on here have a frame that was assembled in china, myself included.

18. Feltski

Feltski New Member

As long as theres idiots that are willing to spend it, theyll keep charging it. simple as that. it sure is a shame too, bc all R&D aside (which i know costs a ton, divided by a relatively small market = high pricetag), im willing to bet the carbon frame costs less than an aluminum to build

19. alienator

Idiots. Hmm. That's a bit harsh, don't you think, especially as the whole bike thing is personal choice and preference? Is there an idiot scale? Maybe everyone should ride the same, cheap bikes. We can do a Chairman Mao kind of thing and use, say, your bike as the model, paint it gray, and sell it to everyone.

Idiots. And people wonder why roadies are considered elitists and snobs.

FYI, those "idiots" help make your bike possible.

20. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Geez, and you wonder why you get in so many arguments:D

Quit playing the grumpy card you crotchety old bugger.

There is plenty of bull when it come to marketing and R+D, you know it, I know it.

There are also plenty of people who lap it up and buy the latest thing etc.

Being a chump for bullsh!t marketing is different from wanting a bit of choice and variation in products.:rolleyes: