CF weight tolerance question

smittymac

Jan 3, 2007
Whats up fellas, I'm new here. I have been browsing different bike forums and decided to stick with this one..

My question is, what is the max rider weight where CF is still considered safe? I plan to purchase a new bike in a few months and I al looking at the Schwinn Peleton and then a few others that are aluminum. Just wondering if I (190 lbs) am to heavy for a CF frame.

smittymac said:
Whats up fellas, I'm new here. I have been browsing different bike forums and decided to stick with this one..

My question is, what is the max rider weight where CF is still considered safe? I plan to purchase a new bike in a few months and I al looking at the Schwinn Peleton and then a few others that are aluminum. Just wondering if I (190 lbs) am to heavy for a CF frame.
You'll be fine. Some frame manufacturers quote a max. recommended rider weight, but it's >> 190 lbs.

smittymac said:

I have not had a problem with either of my CF frames and weigh more that 190 lbs.

sogood said:
It's the wheels that you should consider more carefully.
What do you mean? The cheap wheels that come with the bike or CF wheels in general for someone of my weight?

smittymac said:
What do you mean? The cheap wheels that come with the bike or CF wheels in general for someone of my weight?
At 190lb, it's the wheel spokes that's more likely to break than the CF frame.

smittymac said:

He means that wheel durability is sometimes heavily a function of rider weight. Low spoke count wheels don't fair very well for very long under heavy riders. That said, there are more than a lot of wheels that would be perfectly fine under your carcass.

The Evil Twin said:
I've never broken a spoke, ever. 195lbs.
You have chosen your wheels wisely. Or your legs don't exert enough POWER! :p