CG women's road race

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    If you have Freeview, it's on *now*...err... either 301 or 302...

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence

    Tags:

  2. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    wafflycat submitted this idea :
    > If you have Freeview, it's on *now*...err... either 301 or 302...

    No such luck! Any chance of you posting the result when it's finished?
    I'm sure you'll be more efficient than the BBC ;o) TIA

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat submitted this idea :
    >> If you have Freeview, it's on *now*...err... either 301 or 302...
    >>

    > No such luck! Any chance of you posting the result when it's finished? I'm
    > sure you'll be more efficient than the BBC ;o) TIA

    If I manage to stay awake, most certainly. This is no reflection on the
    cyclists, but is entirely due to my fatigue following a day of chauffeuring
    the offspring to & from Kent for a time trial...

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    wafflycat was thinking very hard :
    > "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> wafflycat submitted this idea :
    >>> If you have Freeview, it's on *now*...err... either 301 or 302...
    >>>

    >> No such luck! Any chance of you posting the result when it's finished? I'm
    >> sure you'll be more efficient than the BBC ;o) TIA
    >>

    > If I manage to stay awake, most certainly. This is no reflection on the
    > cyclists, but is entirely due to my fatigue following a day of chauffeuring
    > the offspring to & from Kent for a time trial...

    I entirely understand - thanks for your kindness (to both me and the
    offspring, I reckon!)

    I'm a bit knackered myself - I'm just stopping for my evening meal,
    having been planning (teacher) since 2pm. More to come tomorrow...

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon D wrote:
    > wafflycat submitted this idea :
    >> If you have Freeview, it's on *now*...err... either 301 or 302...
    >>

    > No such luck! Any chance of you posting the result when it's finished?
    > I'm sure you'll be more efficient than the BBC ;o) TIA

    Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
    watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. Simon Proven

    Simon Proven Guest

    Simon D wrote:
    > wafflycat was thinking very hard :
    > > "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> wafflycat submitted this idea :
    > >>>

    > >> No such luck! Any chance of you posting the result when it's finished? I'm
    > >> sure you'll be more efficient than the BBC ;o) TIA
    > >>

    > > If I manage to stay awake, most certainly. This is no reflection on the
    > > cyclists, but is entirely due to my fatigue following a day of chauffeuring
    > > the offspring to & from Kent for a time trial...
    > >

    > I entirely understand - thanks for your kindness (to both me and the
    > offspring, I reckon!)
    >
    > I'm a bit knackered myself - I'm just stopping for my evening meal,
    > having been planning (teacher) since 2pm. More to come tomorrow...

    Seems to be on the BBC interactive online coverage. Stream 3.

    Simon

  7. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    Simon D was thinking very hard :
    > wafflycat was thinking very hard :
    >> "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> wafflycat submitted this idea :
    >>>>

    >>> No such luck! Any chance of you posting the result when it's finished? I'm
    >>> sure you'll be more efficient than the BBC ;o) TIA
    >>>

    >> If I manage to stay awake, most certainly. This is no reflection on the
    >> cyclists, but is entirely due to my fatigue following a day of chauffeuring
    >> the offspring to & from Kent for a time trial...
    >>

    > I entirely understand - thanks for your kindness (to both me and the
    > offspring, I reckon!)
    >
    > I'm a bit knackered myself - I'm just stopping for my evening meal, having
    > been planning (teacher) since 2pm. More to come tomorrow...

    Actually, please don't worry about the result, Helen - I've just
    noticed there's live commentary on
    http://www.nicolecooke.com/2006/commonwealth/live.html

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  8. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    Simon Proven formulated the question :

    > Seems to be on the BBC interactive online coverage. Stream 3.

    Thanks for that. No use for me, unfortunately; I have no TV, and
    therefore no licence, which is now required if you stream live
    broadcasts.

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  9. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    Tony Raven brought next idea :

    > Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to watch
    > and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

    What a lightweight ;o)

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  10. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    > If I manage to stay awake, most certainly. This is no reflection on the
    > cyclists, but is entirely due to my fatigue following a day of
    > chauffeuring the offspring to & from Kent for a time trial...

    Rudy Project?
    Where did he come and what time?

    I'll save me looking up CTT site where I expect it will be listed soon.

    tt

  11. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    Simon D wrote:
    > Tony Raven brought next idea :
    >
    >> Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
    >> watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

    > What a lightweight ;o)

    There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

    And anyway its only women's racing ;-) <ducks>

    tt

  12. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    triddletree laid this down on his screen :
    > Simon D wrote:
    >> Tony Raven brought next idea :
    >>
    >>> Ermm...another 2-2.5hrs to go!!!. I think I'll leave it to the PVR to
    >>> watch and revisit after I've had my beauty sleep.

    >> What a lightweight ;o)

    > There's an hours less kip tonight :-(

    Tell me about it.

    > And anyway its only women's racing ;-) <ducks>

    Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  13. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    Simon D formulated the question :
    > triddletree laid this down on his screen :
    >> Simon D wrote:
    >>> Tony Raven brought next idea :

    >>> What a lightweight ;o)

    >> There's an hours less kip tonight :-(
    >>

    > Tell me about it.
    >
    >> And anyway its only women's racing ;-) <ducks>
    >>

    > Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

    Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  14. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    Simon D wrote:
    > Simon D formulated the question :
    >
    >> triddletree laid this down on his screen :

    >>> There's an hours less kip tonight :-(
    >>>

    >> Tell me about it.
    >>
    >>> And anyway its only women's racing ;-) <ducks>
    >>>

    >> Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

    > Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

    I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
    programme ;-)

    tt

  15. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    triddletree explained on 26/03/2006 :
    > Simon D wrote:
    >> Simon D formulated the question :
    >>
    >>> triddletree laid this down on his screen :

    >>> Tell me about it.

    >>> Brave. Or foolish... 8-o

    >> Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

    > I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
    > programme ;-)

    Mmm. It's a bit challenging to get much "feel" for a race from a
    written commentary, but it sounded a bit Australia-ed out.

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simon D
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > triddletree explained on 26/03/2006 :
    >> Simon D wrote:
    >>> Simon D formulated the question :

    >>> Or (now that we're getting near the end) possibly wise ;-)

    >> I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
    >> programme ;-)

    > Mmm. It's a bit challenging to get much "feel" for a race from a
    > written commentary, but it sounded a bit Australia-ed out.

    A bunch of five went clear in the first lap. Four of them - one each from
    England, New Zealand, Canada and Malaysia - worked hard for seven laps,
    building up a four minute lead over the field, while Natalie Bates of
    Australia just sat in the wheels doing bugger all. On the seventh lap
    you could see her having increasingly urgent discussions with her coach
    on the radio, and then she just went. At which point, the four who had
    been working well together started playing silly buggers, and frittered
    away their four minutes lead over the peloton in a single lap. If they
    had continued to work together they would certainly have got silver and
    bronze among them.

    Bates, once she'd decided to go, rode the final two laps as a time trial;
    out on her own, she actually increased her lead over the peloton to four
    minutes 27 seconds, before winning be 3 minutes 5 seconds.

    Nicole Cooke had a very frustrating race, with no team to support her,
    and the Australians (particularly) obviously marking her and closing her
    down every move she made. At the end, as solo rider in a field with at
    least four very strong teams, getting bronze was pretty damn good.

    There was apparently a bad crash in the first lap, but I didn't see it.

    Anyone see the mens' race? My mate Gareth apparently failed to finish,
    anyone know why?

    ;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...

  17. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

  18. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Simon D
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    >>triddletree explained on 26/03/2006 :

    >>>I'm pleased to see that clubruns have now made it to the Commonwealth
    >>>programme ;-)

    >>Mmm. It's a bit challenging to get much "feel" for a race from a
    >>written commentary, but it sounded a bit Australia-ed out.

    > A bunch of five went clear in the first lap. ..... On the seventh lap
    > you could see her having increasingly urgent discussions with her coach
    > on the radio, and then she just went. At which point, the four who had
    > been working well together started playing silly buggers, and frittered
    > away their four minutes lead over the peloton in a single lap.

    A classic women's Race scenario. It was so predictable - wait until
    someone makes a move then sit up waiting for someone else to react.
    At least it gave Cooke the chance of a gong at the expense of a lost
    chance for England.

    tt

  19. Rusty Spokes

    Rusty Spokes Guest

    I noticed the New Zealand rider crashed head first into the ground.

    Pity she was wearing an helmet otherwise we could have viewed a fractured
    skull.

    Rusty Spokes

  20. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Rusty Spokes wrote:
    > I noticed the New Zealand rider crashed head first into the ground.
    >
    > Pity she was wearing an helmet otherwise we could have viewed a fractured
    > skull.

    Unlikely - if you watched the slo-mo replays they did last night you
    would see it was more a roll onto her shoulder, as indicated by her
    subsequently being carted off with her arm in a sling, and her helmet
    was unmarked in the subsequent close ups. However Gollan, who went down
    first, had her helmet scraping along the road where her head alone would
    clearly have not touched. Its not discernible on the low resolution
    on-line replay though and the close ups before Holt's helmet was taken
    off are edited out.

    --
    Tony

    right."