Cgicago Area Trail w/ Old Cemetery

Mike

Guest
Hi,

I have come across a listing of a route in the Chicagoland area which passes next to/near an old,
possibly abandoned, cemetery. My problem is that I cannot remember where the trail is......is there
anyone that doesn't hink I'm totally crazy, and that might helpp me remember the name of this trail,
and where it might be located?

Thank you in advance!

Mike

[email protected]

The Des Plaines River Trail goes past St. Joseph's Cemetery between Grand and Belmont. I don't
know if this cemetery is abandoned. That's the only trail I can think of that goes right next to
a cemetery.

I don't know if cemeteries are ever abandoned, merely closed to new internments. They tend to be
maintained by a local organization (church, social, municipal, etc.).

The IPP & Great Western Trail pass several cemeteries. The only "abandoned" one that comes to my
mind is along the GWT in Carol Stream(?). The cemetery has approx 30 headstones and some are quite
old. Vandalism has forced a fence and locked gate to be installed in recent years.

Chris Campanelli wrote:

> The IPP & Great Western Trail pass several cemeteries. The only "abandoned" one that comes to my
> mind is along the GWT in Carol Stream(?). The cemetery has approx 30 headstones and some are quite
> old. Vandalism has forced a fence and locked gate to be installed in recent years.

Don't ya love how today's kids are being raised with such respect for others.

I had to comment - Carol Stream is, well, .... an old memory. I grew up in Wheaton and remember
watching Carol Stream develop from the ground up. I don't remember the cemetery, though. Anyone
wanna go tip some headstones? :-(

(There's a wonderful old pioneer cemetery here in the city of Boulder that they are finally going to
have to close to the general public. It seems frat boys (and others) like to get their kicks by
destroying memorials to other people's loved ones.)

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

"Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Chris Campanelli wrote:
>
> > The IPP & Great Western Trail pass several cemeteries. The only "abandoned" one that comes to my
> > mind is along the GWT in Carol Stream(?). The cemetery has approx 30 headstones and some are
> > quite old. Vandalism has forced a fence and locked gate to be installed in recent years.
>
> Don't ya love how today's kids are being raised with such respect for others.

I have to agree that many of today's kids don't seem to have respect for others property. But there
are many of them who do...a local boy scout troop took on the job of restoring a small cemetery (30
graves) that had been vandalized. It was a family grave site and hadn't been attended to in several
years as there were no living members of the family in this area. Today it's still one of their
projects and it's great to ride by and see all the headstones standing, the wrought iron fence
repaired, the grass mowed and a few flowers planted along the fence. We always hear the bad news and
seldom hear about the good these kids do.

"Will S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The Des Plaines River Trail goes past St. Joseph's Cemetery between Grand and Belmont. I don't
> know if this cemetery is abandoned. That's the only trail I can think of that goes right next to a
> cemetery.

The Des Plaines River Trail also goes by All Saints Cemetery south of Higgins / north of I-190
if you take the most common route under I-190, rather than the official route of the East River
Road overpass. Again, this cemetery is old, but not abandoned. This route is also near St.
Nicholas Cemetery.

Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I had to comment - Carol Stream is, well, .... an old memory. I grew up in Wheaton and remember
> watching Carol Stream develop from the ground up. I don't remember the cemetery, though. Anyone
> wanna go tip some headstones? :-(

I live in Wheaton, near Gary & Jewel. The lilacs ended just last week. The rains are tapering off.
The maples are in the midst of dropping their helicopters seeds and the chipmunks are busy
collecting them. Main St. is under construction. At night the train engines still announce
themselves.

Thought you should know.

Chris Campanelli wrote:

> Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I had to comment - Carol Stream is, well, .... an old memory. I grew up in Wheaton and remember
> > watching Carol Stream develop from the ground up. I don't remember the cemetery, though. Anyone
> > wanna go tip some headstones? :-(
>
> I live in Wheaton, near Gary & Jewel.

Floooooooood of memories. (high school sweetheart lived off of Pleasant Hill Rd.)

> The lilacs ended just last week.

You should see the meager bush that passes for a lilac in Boulder.

> The rains are tapering off. The maples are in the midst of dropping their helicopters seeds

Another floooooooooooooooooooooooood.

> and the chipmunks are busy collecting them. Main St. is under construction. At night the train
> engines still announce themselves.

> Thought you should know.

:)

Thanks.

I fondly remember the night trains from my bedroom window*.

Haven't played with "helicopters" in many a year.

(* I think that even gave me comfort when cycling across Nebraska for days - along the Burlington
Northern tracks. The old freight whistle was very reassuring - comforting.)

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

Mike <[email protected]> wrote
> Hi,
>
> I have come across a listing of a route in the Chicagoland area which passes next to/near an old,
> possibly abandoned, cemetery. My problem is that I cannot remember where the trail is......is
> there anyone that doesn't hink I'm totally crazy, and that might helpp me remember the name of
> this trail, and where it might be located?
There's a road route that you can take west from Lake Forest on Everett Ave. out to St. Mary's,
which you ride north for its entirety up until it ends at (I believe) 137. Make a left (west) and
then a right (north) about a half-mile later (no light). Make the the next right (east) after about
another half mile and take that till it T's off. Then either turn left and fool around till you come
to Waukegan road ( I think) or turn right and then left again at 137. The "cemetary" you never
really see, it's behind some farmland, I guess after your turn off of 137. Let me know if you want
more details.

Matt