Ch9 anti cyclist on Southbank report

..I don’t remember falling off, just glanced & had to re-correct.

I use Southbank at the worst of times, although I try to button off & coast, stopping etc, as I can understand how familarity with the route when busy might have me inadvertantly crank up the pace.
But there is no option. I’ve tried the stairs down to boat moaring along Southbank but it’s not partical. The opposite path north of the river may be mostly clear, but where the bridge & Flinder St Station is, boy, you gotta walk it through as peds comes out at right angles with no visability when you’re on the path.

The nature of the Southbank & Crown riverside area compells peds to wander about & not look for through traffic. I can push my bike through there & still run into people. Anyone for a fire juggling act?
The keep-of-the-grass metal hoops are a nice touch when avoiding peds too.

I’ve noticed that there are no bicycles signs on both sides of Princess bridge & they seem to be facing the road (or near the road edge). The white line on the road doesn’t seem to be indicating a bicycle lane as it’s pretty narrow to the curb.

coowoowoo said:
Interestingly, Mayor So still seems intent on trying to promote a central bike hub thing for cyclists to store bikes and shower etc. He seems to think that we are on a par with amsterdam. If he invested more time in addressing the current cdb concerns (like southbank) rather than inventing ones that will not be considered by the majority of cyclists, then maybe we could get something done about the whole southbank issue.

Sometimes bleeding obvious issues are difficult to perceive - they're thinking INFRASTRUCTURE and we're thinking behavioural/attitudial shift. One you can throw $$ and be seen to be *doing something*. The other is harder to rationally quantify, doesn't translate well into snappy press releases & corporate spin.

cfsmtb wrote:
> coowoowoo Wrote:
>
>>Interestingly, Mayor So still seems intent on trying to promote a
>>central bike hub thing for cyclists to store bikes and shower etc. He
>>seems to think that we are on a par with amsterdam. If he invested more
>>time in addressing the current cdb concerns (like southbank) rather than
>>inventing ones that will not be considered by the majority of cyclists,
>>then maybe we could get something done about the whole southbank issue.

> Sometimes bleeding obvious issues are difficult to perceive - they're
> thinking INFRASTRUCTURE and we're thinking behavioural/attitudial
> shift. One you can throw $$ and be seen to be *doing something*. The
> other is harder to rationally quantify, doesn't translate well into
> snappy press releases & corporate spin.

I agree. To me this has bugger all to do with bike paths or signage.
It's a question of not behaving like arseholes.

There are plenty of complaints about cars or pedestrians putting
cyclists in danger, but at Southbank at least, not a great deal of
consideration given by cyclists, to others.

--
Nick

Bleve wrote:

>>I'm not experienced on shared paths, I've probably got less than 100kms
>>under my belt, so maybe peak hour Southbank was a bit much for my
>>level of experience. Obviously I must have been doing something wrong
>>'cause I'm sure I was one of the slowest cyclists on Southbank. Must be
>>this old fashioned thing about giving way to pedestrians.

> It spooks me how a significant number of cyclists ride very
> ... recklessly ... through Southbank. I ride it most days, at just
> over
> walking pace and I *really* pay attention to wandering peds,
> kids, skateboarders etc ... and then some ******** goes flying past.
> *shrug*
>

>>My experience wasn't much better on the shared path down by the Yarra.
>>Sure many pedestrians stayed well left but that doesn't excuse speeds in
>>excess of 30km/h 6 inches from a ped IMO.

> Te most dangerous thing on that path is rowing coaches.

That's true.

And just once I'd like to blast a loudhailer (or an Airzound??) right in
their ears :)

--
Nick

Forwarded msg from Justin @ MelbBUG follows:

****

Re: various comments about Southbank... here's some info from the Melbourne BUG perspective.

As a general note, Melbourne is not the best municipality for bike works, but neither is it the worst. If you want to comment on issues of concern in the Melbourne council area, send your emails to: [email protected] and please cc a copy to Melbourne BUG: [email protected]

Here are some clarifications of various comments on this thread:

>Southbank is part of the Capital City Trail, and the seemingly lack of >adequate signage doesn't help one iota.

*WE* might consider Southbank to be part of the Capital City Trail (and indeed it *is* part of it according some State Govt dept's), but NOT according to the City of Melbourne. Take a look at the maps in the Melbourne Bike Plan (do a search on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au ), and take a look at the latest Melbourne TravelSmart maps. Neither shows Southbank as a bike path. In fact, council staff specifically told the makers of the TravelSmart Melbourne map to not show any bike route along Southbank Promenade.

This a reversal of Council's stance of some years ago, when they were happy to acknowledge Southbank as a shared path. MBUG & BV have often attempted to get the current stance reversed, but to no avail. For some history see:
http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=145&c=1011

>Is it clear where this starts and ends? Or is just the start well marked >and the end unmarked? I vaguely remember seeing a dismount sign under >Princes Bridge.

According to City of Melbourne, the Cyclists Dismount signs under Princes Bridge are only meant to refer to the times when the market is on (Sundays). The signs are confusing, as they seem to indicate that cyclists should walk at all times. MBUG has been trying to get this changed for some time... if you want to see the signage changed, lend your support by emailing your thoughts to: [email protected] & [email protected]

>You cant blame pedestrians, both local and tourists,for not being aware of >this if there is no signage. You could put up a dozen signs saying that >cyclists must dismount but i am afraid that they would be ignored. Who >wants to get off and walk their bike at 6.30am along southbank when its >clear? No one.. It wouldnt be enforced by the police anyway. Logistally its >not cost effective for them to do it all day every day.

Vic Police have told MBUG that they are not likely to ticket any cyclists for riding along Southbank, because the cops consider it to be a "road-related area", i.e. the cops consider it to have shared path status, even if Council does not. But if there is a series of collisions with peds, this could change if the cops get too many complaints.

>It's a tad nebulous. Who's up for a solution, like contacting Melb Council, >BV, MelbBUG or DSE? Designated marked lane on Southbank? Other worthy >suggestions? Or should we all attempt to emphasise the importance of >slowing down - via word of mouth?

Possible solutions that have been mentioned include a separate floating bike path along Southbank (a la the Yarra Trail section which runs alongside Citylink), and the development of Northbank as a proper shared path by removing road crossing at-grade and fixing problem sightlines & corners. But both of these solutions are very expensive... e.g. the concept plans for Northbank have been roughly costed at $10 million+, because they would require dykes to hold back the river where the shared path would go under the road bridges (similar to Moonee Ponds Trail). Also a floating path on the Southbank side would have to work out how to accommodate the tour boat operators.

In the meantime, share the space... ride according to the conditions and respect pedestrians. And lend your voice to the campaign for change.... the more support, the better.

Vic Police bike patrol are keen to get cyclists to slow down along Southbank... MBUG was all set to collaborate with Russell Lindsay on a campaign when Russ was unceremoniously demoted earlier this year.

>Have always thought it kind of strange that the lower/waterside promenade >hasnt been allocated as a cyclist path (with relevant ramps etc at either >end)

Tour boat operators are the main users of the lower promenade, and they are very vocal stakeholders in any proposed changes to Southbank. Council is hesitant to be perceived as "anti-business" (i.e. anti-tour operator)

>I spoke to an engineer at Melb city council once about why they had painted >on and then removed the bike lane on princes bridge.

The bike lanes on the FOOTPATH on Princes Bridge have been temporarily removed during the bridge renovation works, which is causing narrowing of the footpath due to scaffolding/hoardings. MBUG has been assured by Council that they will be reinstated when the bridge works are complete, which should within the next month (although the project is running behind schedule).

>I’ve noticed that there are "no bicycles" signs on both sides of Princess >bridge & they seem to be facing the road (or near the road edge). The white
>line on the road doesn’t seem to be indicating a bicycle lane as it’s >pretty narrow to the curb.

Those signs refer only to cycling on the footpath while the bridge works are being done. But yes, they are confusing and people (including motorists) think they refer to the roadway as well. MBUG has asked to have an "on footpath" addendum added under the signs, but Council is dragging its heels (again). The white line on the road *IS* meant to be a bike lane (albeit a very narrow one... thank BV for that, it's their lobbying that got it painted).

Thanks everyone for your comments about Southbank. Great to see so much interest!

cheers,
Justin M
Co-Convenor, MBUG

NoZX6R said:
There are plenty of complaints about cars or pedestrians putting
cyclists in danger, but at Southbank at least, not a great deal of
consideration given by cyclists, to others.

I see a great lack of consideration in general from cyclists on the road as well. The classic is the cyclist who battles to the front of the queue at traffic lights where the lane's too narrow for the motorists to safely overtake without changing lanes. I find it much better to plant myself firmly in the middle of the lane and behave like the vehicle I am.

Maybe the council can remove the gutters/curbs on Princess bridge & have painted lines in their place. It would provide motorists, cyclists & pedestrains are more flexible layout to use the space.

Sure roadside drainage needs to be considered, but having right angle gutters harks back to the early 20th century when roads where dirt & cobblestones.

EuanB wrote:
> ghostgum Wrote:
>
>>Are you allowed to ride along southbank (slowly for safety), or is there
>>a section where you must dismount? I rarely visit that area, but will be
>>
>>passing through on the way to Docklands next weekend.

> There is a section where cyclists must dismount. I did and at the
> time I was the only cyclist who had.
>
> Two years ago I used southbank and was walking through the `cyclists
> must dismount' bit, an elderly couple applauded me saying `goodness, a
> cyclist who can read.' Not a lot I could say to that.

I come through there on my commute. Have seen the dismount sign as I
come under St Kilda Rd, but what I want to know is where is the remount
sign. Or does it just mean you dismount and never get on again?

DaveB

DaveB said:
I come through there on my commute. Have seen the dismount sign as I
come under St Kilda Rd, but what I want to know is where is the remount
sign. Or does it just mean you dismount and never get on again?

Dismount and get straight back on ?

flyingdutch said:
Interview of some middle-aged-worry-wort 'Ron-someone'
telling about a collision he had with a cyclist
He said they collided, cyclsit went to ground "And that's when i started swearing"
Whilst i dont want to jump to conclusions , I cant help wondering how he remained standing, cyclist went down without him hitting the cyclist, ie lining him up with shoulder? (he actually referred to his shoulder as the way the contact was made. strangely enuff he dropped/moved forward shoulder gestured for camera as he told of the incident!)

Got a mp3 of possibly the same 'Ron' talking to Neil Mitchell. email cfsmtb [AT]gmail[DOT]com if you want a copy.

Mitchell wrote this recently:
http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16752402%5E5000106,00.html

.....but next week he's giving away Shogun MTB's on his programme. What a dirty stopout! :D