Chafing from underwear?

A bit embarrasing, but:

I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen? I
imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never
stays that way.

Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
if they'd help the frontal area.

<[email protected]> wrote ...
>A bit embarrasing, but:
>
> I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
> surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
> boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen? I
> imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
> adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never
> stays that way.
>
> Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
> just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
> if they'd help the frontal area.

Bike shorts worn next to the skin seem to make that whole area more
comfortable for me.

[email protected] wrote:
> A bit embarrasing, but:
>
> I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
> surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
> boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen? I
> imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
> adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never
> stays that way.
>
> Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
> just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
> if they'd help the frontal area.

Cotton does that to me if I ride more than a few miles. For longer rides
I wear cycling shorts, tighter fitting seems to be the key. If you don't
like the looks of tights try mountain bike shorts, they have liner in
them like the tight shorts road cyclists wear.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

On 28 Apr 2006 09:00:19 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>A bit embarrasing, but:
>
>I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
>surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
>boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen? I
>imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
>adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never
>stays that way.
>
>Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
>just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
>if they'd help the frontal area.

In addition to the pad underneath there's typically a soft felt/jersey sort of
material in front. A lot of shorts used to not have that and the sensation of
certain parts on lycra was hideous (okay, maybe it's just me). Anyway they
almost all have that now and it helps and the snugness keeping all the bits
where you want them to stay also helps.

If you're on the bike for more than an hour the shorts are worth it. If the ten
foot rule is a factor go with mountain bike baggies. Still got all the right
stuff, just built onto a mesh undershort with a regular short over it.

Ron

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> A bit embarrasing, but:
>
> I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
> surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
> boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen?

In the long-ago past I had something similar. As it turned out,
the source of the problem was residual laundry detergent in the
clothing. A little extra rinsing by hand fixed that. FWIW,
I'm a briefs guy. Anyway, maybe your experience is similar to
mine -- more of a reaction to laundry soap, than mechanical chafing.

> imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
> adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> stays that way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe some inspirational thoughts would help :)

I could jokingly complain that I have trouble keeping
it down, but that wouldn't be the whole truth.

Close to it, though.

> Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
> just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
> if they'd help the frontal area.

Real, traditional lycra bike shorts w/ the sewn-in chamois
are a Godsend. Mountain biking shorts ain't a patch on 'em.
Besides, I find I wear holes in the softer-fabric MTB shorts
too fast. Same with jeans cut-offs, but at least they're
cheap. And I absolutely abhor the feel of cordura (as is
used in more robust MTB shorts) next to my skin.

There's a cycling-specific undergarment available: Andiamo
Padded Skins. But they're expensive.

cheers,
Tom

--