Chain adjustment on child's first time, one speed bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jerry Asher, May 20, 2003.

  1. Jerry Asher

    Jerry Asher Guest

    My 4 year old picked up a flat on her inexpensive ($50) one speed Toy's 'R Us bicycle.

    To change the tube, I had to remove the rear wheel and replace it (I actually patched the tube, but
    my kids helped so I removed the wheel to show them what's inside.

    With only one speed, there is no derailleur of course, and the chain is apparently adjusted by
    sliding the rear wheel along it's bracket in the frame and tightening it down.

    I guess I've done this wrong, because now the chain falls off.

    So what are the steps to correctly adjusting it? Do I want no slack? Some slack? How much slack?

    Thanks,

    Jerry (to email me, remove all the nospam from my email address.)

    Tags:

  2. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

    Pull back on the wheel as hard as you can while someone else tightens the nuts. Be sure to keep the
    wheel straight. If the chain "clicks" at all after its tightened, give it a squeeze with the hand.
    Once it stops clicking, be sure to tighten the brake stop (that lever on the side opposite the
    chain ring).

    "Jerry Asher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My 4 year old picked up a flat on her inexpensive ($50) one speed Toy's 'R Us bicycle.
    >
    > To change the tube, I had to remove the rear wheel and replace it (I actually patched the tube,
    > but my kids helped so I removed the wheel to show them what's inside.
    >
    > With only one speed, there is no derailleur of course, and the chain is apparently adjusted by
    > sliding the rear wheel along it's bracket in the frame and tightening it down.
    >
    > I guess I've done this wrong, because now the chain falls off.
    >
    > So what are the steps to correctly adjusting it? Do I want no slack? Some slack? How much slack?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jerry (to email me, remove all the nospam from my email address.)

  3. Jerry Asher

    Jerry Asher Guest

    "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<mmoya.9879$OB5.389[email protected]>...
    > Pull back on the wheel as hard as you can while someone else tightens the nuts. Be sure to keep
    > the wheel straight. If the chain "clicks" at all after its tightened, give it a squeeze with the
    > hand. Once it stops clicking, be sure to tighten the brake stop (that lever on the side opposite
    > the chain ring).

    Thank you, I had been wondering why I thought it was a two person job.

    Jerry