Chain (and related) Questions

David White

Guest
I am using both Campy C-9 and Shimano DuraAce 9-speed chains on my bikes. I
have not been using quick/master links of any kind. But a friend is urging me
to do so. I am resisting because I previously used Craig Masterlinks on some 5
and 6-speed chains. I found them easy to use when things were new but after use
I found them difficult to remove (not only on the road but in the repair
stand). So I just went back to the old fashioned way.

But the new chains (especially Shimano) seem to want more carful handling than
the older one. They say not to work the same pin more than once and, with
Shimano, you have to use these odd pins and break them off after insertion.

So I am considering going back to a quick/master link of some sort. I wonder if
you can offer suggestions on which to use and which to avoid. Given my past
experience with the Craig Masterlinks, I am thinking I should avoid any link
which employs a similar design. The Wippermann 9 Speed Connex Link seems to
look most different as compared to the SRAM Power Link 9 but I am not sure this
makes them any better/worse or if they will be ok with Shimano chains.

A final question regards chain cleaning "tools" (like from Park, Pedros, etc)
for cleaning chains while on the bike. Another friend had one of these (not
sure which model) and using it just seemed to make a huge mess of splattering
solvent. Are any of these any good at this ugly job and do any work without
making a huge mess?

Thanks.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:00:07 -0700, David White wrote:

> So I am considering going back to a quick/master link of some sort. I wonder if
> you can offer suggestions on which to use and which to avoid. Given my past
> experience with the Craig Masterlinks, I am thinking I should avoid any link
> which employs a similar design. The Wippermann 9 Speed Connex Link seems to
> look most different as compared to the SRAM Power Link 9 but I am not sure this
> makes them any better/worse or if they will be ok with Shimano chains.

I bought a SRAM 9-speed chain with a removeable link a while ago, and I've
kept the link and used it on several Shimano chains since without any
problems. Using one of those spring-loaded double hooks to slacken the
chain either side of it makes it much easier to install and remove.

Hi,

The Shimano pin system is really very straight forward. You simply push
the pin in, and snap it off like you say, ensuring that it is central
in the chain. It's very simple, just remember to buy the correct pins
for your chain. I am new to the chain connecting links, and after some
advice from this group am buying a Connex link for my Campy road bike
chain. If I'm impressed I may consider one for the shimano chains on my
mountain bikes, but for now I'm quite happy with the pin system.

On the subject of chain cleaners - I use the Park Tools one, and I can
honestly say that it is one of the best accessories I have ever bought
for my bikes. I hate washing my mountain bikes because of the problems
that water and hoses can cause, so I now brush the frame to clean it
off, and then clean the chain after every few rides using the Park
cleaner. I use Fenwicks FS-1 Concentrated Bike Cleaner Solution in the
cleaner, whcih can also be watered down to use as a bike wash (good
stuff). It brings the chain up like new every time, and the worst
you'll get mess-wise is a few drips on the floor off the chain. If you
overfill the cleaner, it will pour out, but that goes without saying! I
highly recommend you invest in a good cleaner like this.

Hope this helps.

Graham

David White wrote:
> I am using both Campy C-9 and Shimano DuraAce 9-speed chains on my bikes. I
> have not been using quick/master links of any kind. But a friend is urging me
> to do so. I am resisting because I previously used Craig Masterlinks on some 5
> and 6-speed chains. I found them easy to use when things were new but after use
> I found them difficult to remove (not only on the road but in the repair
> stand). So I just went back to the old fashioned way.
>
> But the new chains (especially Shimano) seem to want more carful handling than
> the older one. They say not to work the same pin more than once and, with
> Shimano, you have to use these odd pins and break them off after insertion.
>
> So I am considering going back to a quick/master link of some sort. I wonder if
> you can offer suggestions on which to use and which to avoid. Given my past
> experience with the Craig Masterlinks, I am thinking I should avoid any link
> which employs a similar design. The Wippermann 9 Speed Connex Link seems to
> look most different as compared to the SRAM Power Link 9 but I am not sure this
> makes them any better/worse or if they will be ok with Shimano chains.
>
> A final question regards chain cleaning "tools" (like from Park, Pedros, etc)
> for cleaning chains while on the bike. Another friend had one of these (not
> sure which model) and using it just seemed to make a huge mess of splattering
> solvent. Are any of these any good at this ugly job and do any work without
> making a huge mess?
>
> Thanks.

Strange that Wipperman says in the instruction sheet for their
chains/chain links (one and the same) "Not to be used on anything but a
Wippermann Connex 'x'-speed chain", but on the outside of the little
box you buy it in it says it is good for ANY chain of y dimensions. I
wish they'd get their act together. I used it on a Shimano 10 speed
chain with no ill effects so far. They seem to be the most reliable of
all I've tried.

MH

On 19 Jul 2006 03:11:50 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Strange that Wipperman says in the instruction sheet for their
>chains/chain links (one and the same) "Not to be used on anything but a
>Wippermann Connex 'x'-speed chain", but on the outside of the little
>box you buy it in it says it is good for ANY chain of y dimensions. I
>wish they'd get their act together. I used it on a Shimano 10 speed
>chain with no ill effects so far. They seem to be the most reliable of
>all I've tried.

They say the one thing because they want to sell them and apparently consider it
true enough. They say the other so you don't sue them when/if something goes
wrong.

Ron

David White wrote:
> I am using both Campy C-9 and Shimano DuraAce 9-speed chains on my bikes. I
> have not been using quick/master links of any kind. But a friend is urging me
> to do so. I am resisting because I previously used Craig Masterlinks on some 5
> and 6-speed chains. I found them easy to use when things were new but after use
> I found them difficult to remove (not only on the road but in the repair
> stand). So I just went back to the old fashioned way.
>
> But the new chains (especially Shimano) seem to want more carful handling than
> the older one. They say not to work the same pin more than once and, with
> Shimano, you have to use these odd pins and break them off after insertion.
>
> So I am considering going back to a quick/master link of some sort. I wonder if
> you can offer suggestions on which to use and which to avoid. Given my past
> experience with the Craig Masterlinks, I am thinking I should avoid any link
> which employs a similar design. The Wippermann 9 Speed Connex Link seems to
> look most different as compared to the SRAM Power Link 9 but I am not sure this
> makes them any better/worse or if they will be ok with Shimano chains.

Sram links-work good

> A final question regards chain cleaning "tools" (like from Park, Pedros, etc)
> for cleaning chains while on the bike. Another friend had one of these (not
> sure which model) and using it just seemed to make a huge mess of splattering
> solvent. Are any of these any good at this ugly job and do any work without
> making a huge mess?

Take the chain off to clean, these on the bike tools really don't work.

> Thanks.

> Take the chain off to clean, these on the bike tools really don't work.

What is this based on? Have you tried using one? As I said previously,
I use one all the time, and they are superb.

Graham

On 19 Jul 2006 05:55:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> Take the chain off to clean, these on the bike tools really don't work.

>What is this based on? Have you tried using one? As I said previously,
>I use one all the time, and they are superb.
>
>Graham

My opinion rests more in the middle. They do work, in a somewhat
limited way. They will clean the outer dirt of a chain, but they can
be messy and time consuming, if done right. Done right, requires,
changing the fluids, at least twice, preferably more.

I have found it a lot more efficient, to remove the chain, drop in a
Poweraide bottle with a cleaner and do it that way. When done, I rinse
out the bottle and put it in the recycling bin. It is a lot more
hassle to clean out the chain cleaning tool.

If you use a Shimano chain, with the pins, rather than substituting a
master link, well then the cleaning tool might make some sense. When I
was still using the pins, I did use a chain cleaning tool. It was
messy and less efficient than the procedure that I use, which involves
removal. The Sram Power Link, gold for my 9-speed chain works well,
and if somewhat dirty, is real easy to wipe clean, before removal.
Although, on my roadbike, it never gets that dirty.

It should be made very clear, that the chain cleaning tools are in no
way deserving of a description of superb. Mediocre and better than
nothing, is closer to reality.

By the way, Peter [Qui si parla Campagnolo] is a pro. I'm sure his
answer was based on knowledge and experience.

Life is Good!
Jeff