Chain break

Glen F

Guest
Broke the chain on my commuter last night. Dark, raining, right in the middle of crossing a six-lane
road. And no chain tool in the bag of course...

This was an up-market Shimano IG 8-speed, only been on for about 12mths, little measurable wear (ok,
I know, I don't do nearly enough k's). As you know, these things are joined with a special oversized
hardened steel pin, intended for single use. One outer plate separated from the joiner pin.
Questions:

1. What did I do wrong, if anything? As far as I can recall, the pin went straight in without any
fuss when I fitted the damn thing. There might have been some minor pin adjustment needed to
centre it or free-up the link, but it certainly wasn't misaligned or pushed in and out
multiple times.

2. How often does this happen? I run several other bikes with similar chains. Should I be worried
they're about to break too? They look ok by eye, but...

3. Can't say I'm at all impressed. Are other brands/types of chain any less prone to break?

"Glen F" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1. What did I do wrong, if anything? As far as I can recall, the pin went straight in without any
> fuss when I fitted the damn thing. There might have been some minor pin adjustment needed to
> centre it or free-up the link, but it certainly wasn't misaligned or pushed in and out
> multiple times.

If you did have to fiddle with the pin after you'd put it in, you did it wrong. I have never had any
trouble with any shimano pins binding the chain when installed correctly. The trick is to install it
till it goes 'click', then push it in further and there's another faint click to indicate that it's
fully seated. I have never had any problems with them, they're quite clever really. Cheers Gemma

Rejoining this thing (minus one link, and with a new pin) I note that these pins have a flanged end,
from which one pushes, and a grooved end, which engages the plate on the other side. (Hence your
"click", I guess.)

Looking again at the broken bits, I'm surprised to see from the shape of things that it must have
been the flanged end that let go first. Hmmmm. Unfortunately, I guess that rather suggests that YT
must have stuffed up by pushing the pin too far - so damaging the plate hole or the flange or both -
though I've no recollection at all of doing that...

"Glen F" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Broke the chain on my commuter last night.
<snip>
> 1. What did I do wrong, if anything?

Bought a Shimano chain! :)

It could have been, as suggested, pushing the pin a bit far. I don't like Shimano chains simply
because you have to mess with the links. OTOH I take my chain off for cleaning reasonably regularly.
Without getting into the chain cleaning Jihad, if you don't do this Shimano chains probably aren't
such a problem.

Some people seem to feel a reduction in shifting performance with other brands. I've never noticed
this on the Shimano chained bikes I've ridden. My advice would be to get a mid range Wipperman/Sram
chain with the quick link. They're also a few bucks cheaper than a comparable Shimano chain in my
experience.

Dave - who has a mongrel Shimano/Sachs chain on the commuter

--
Dave Hughes [email protected] In Australia, there are no phobias. That would imply an
irrational fear, as opposed to common survival instincts. -- Kevin Hackett, in AFP

"Glen F" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rejoining this thing (minus one link, and with a new pin) I note that these pins have a flanged
> end, from which one pushes, and a grooved end, which engages the plate on the other side. (Hence
> your "click", I guess.)
>
> Looking again at the broken bits, I'm surprised to see from the shape of things that it must have
> been the flanged end that let go first. Hmmmm. Unfortunately, I guess that rather suggests that YT
> must have stuffed up by pushing the pin too far - so damaging the plate hole or the flange or both
> - though I've no recollection at all of doing that...

I recently screwed up a shimano 9 spd chain like this - put in the correct pin wrongly at first,
then had to take a link out and connect it with a standard pin. Didn't last longer than about 2
wks. In the good old days you could use any pin, but with narrower shimano chains that ain't
possible now.

cheers, Jeff

Always keep a 8/9 speed master link in your saddle bag , a small expense $5 for a little insurance
against a long walk home. KMC, Sachs etc all make them except Shimano.