Chain Breaker

Tripped

Feb 5, 2006
How do i break the chain? :confused: sounds like a silly qustion but i bet that you didn't know at one stage... lol
um, i got a chain breaker installed and i'm having no luck on google about it what so ever,

Chain breaker pushes out the pin. If you plan on re-using the chain you'll need either a new pin or install a quick disconnect like connex or sram (need to remove a link to keep original length).

Tripped,

The part in the picture is called a chain boss. You kind of bend the link in order for the front piece to loosen up and then shift it to where the pin can slide through, actually removing the little plate completely. Then you can take the other part off and Voila your chain is loose from the frame. FYI I have found these to be very troublesome.

domaindomain said:
You can push the pin back in!
Just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Shimano chains comes with a special pin for joining, and for good reason.
I'm not saying that it CAN'T be done, only that the odds for failure goes up quite a bit when you do.

TomTrek said:
Tripped,

The part in the picture is called a chain boss. You kind of bend the link in order for the front piece to loosen up and then shift it to where the pin can slide through, actually removing the little plate completely. Then you can take the other part off and Voila your chain is loose from the frame. FYI I have found these to be very troublesome.
Because of the amount of rain and muck around here I just replaced my chain with an SRM powerlink chain. I want to be able to take the whole thing off for good cleanings. So far no problems, it is easy to take on and and off and no chain slipage or anything else -even during sprints and steep hills, but I am not heavy (in fact quite light at 103 lbs) so that may be a factor.

To take mine off I have to bend the link so that I can push the plate forward and off. It feels like it takes about 3 hands, but I can get it off. Putting it back on is easy.

Eden said:
Because of the amount of rain and muck around here I just replaced my chain with an SRM powerlink chain. I want to be able to take the whole thing off for good cleanings. So far no problems, it is easy to take on and and off and no chain slipage or anything else -even during sprints and steep hills, but I am not heavy (in fact quite light at 103 lbs) so that may be a factor.

To take mine off I have to bend the link so that I can push the plate forward and off. It feels like it takes about 3 hands, but I can get it off. Putting it back on is easy.
yeah putting back on is easy if.....you lube the chain when it's on again. If you lube the chain before putting it back on, its more challenging

I gave the stupid chain breaker the one finger goodbye! i have numb fingers and it's getting me nowhere lol, i think i bent the chain on the other side! any ideas?
:mad: