Chain Breaking

Super Otaku

Feb 19, 2004
I broke my rear derailleur. I don't have enough money and I will never replace a new one again, since I will be saving up for a new and better bike. So this is what I'm going to do.

I'm going to get a chain breaker. Then I'm going to remove the chain, along with both derailleurs. Then I'm going to put the chain back on a fixed gear; which is 2-4, so it becomes single speed.

Here's my problem. Since this is my first time dealing with the chain, I don't seem to use the chain breaker correctly. Every time I tried to crank the rivet out, I seemed to be using so much energy untill I broke my first chain breaker tool(it's Supercycle anyway). I ended up with a tight link and the rivet only moved about 1.5mm out of the links.

So am I using the tool with the wrong method? or am I too weak to twist the rivet out? Also, the chain breaker tool I have now is the Crank Bros. 17 multi-tool.

Thank you all for helping. :D :D :D

Super Otaku said:
I broke my rear derailleur. I don't have enough money and I will never replace a new one again, since I will be saving up for a new and better bike. So this is what I'm going to do.

I'm going to get a chain breaker. Then I'm going to remove the chain, along with both derailleurs. Then I'm going to put the chain back on a fixed gear; which is 2-4, so it becomes single speed.

Here's my problem. Since this is my first time dealing with the chain, I don't seem to use the chain breaker correctly. Every time I tried to crank the rivet out, I seemed to be using so much energy untill I broke my first chain breaker tool(it's Supercycle anyway). I ended up with a tight link and the rivet only moved about 1.5mm out of the links.

So am I using the tool with the wrong method? or am I too weak to twist the rivet out? Also, the chain breaker tool I have now is the Crank Bros. 17 multi-tool.

Thank you all for helping. :D :D :D

You may have trouble getting the length right so that the chain isn't too tight or too loose.
The Park Tool Site has a good explanation of how to use a chain tool:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

Note: If you are using a Shimano chain you need to use a special Shimano joining pin. You might also consider using a SuperLink or some other variation:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0338-07'